Steam Donkey

Fall Epic - October 14th

This year's annual Fall Epic will be Sunday, October 14th.
    From Pennwood State Park (CT) to Robinson State Park (MA). About 40 miles of pretty technical. One of the best routes (this long) that can be had around here.
    We meet at my house, load the bikes in the trailer and get shuttled to Pennwood. One water stop at the mid-point. Pizza back in Agawam.

Bring a blanket for your bike. It will probably be about 7 hours. We will have a feed at my house after. Please bring something to share. I will have pizza and drinks.

Be at my house between 7:00 and 7:15. We will hopefully be loaded and pulling out by 7:30...

Let me know if you are in.
    Steve (413)786-3744
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Sound like fun! I'll talk to my buds when they return from camping this weekend....

Steam Donkey

Cautionary

Alright, I have been advised to advise. I hate to do this, cause I would love if everyone could join. The more...the more fun...

Here goes the unfortunate reality: This ain't your normal walk in the park. This is a very grueling 38-40 miles. The seven hours estimate is moving along quite briskly, and with only about three stops (other than brief regroups). The undulations are good sized and frequent. The rocks are pretty serious (in places) and the fitness required to complete the ride is quite high.

If you are unsure (but pretty sure): Almost the entire ride follows a ridge and there are roads at the base, on one side or the other. The bailouts are plentiful, BUT because of the one-way shuttle, you will still need to chew-up some road miles to get back. End to end, the shuttle (road) distance is about 25 miles. Any questions, let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sounds like fun but unfortunately I will be out of town that wkend. Although driving from the North Shore of Boston to Hartford, would have been tough by 7am. I'll be having fun doing the VT50 next wkend. Never done a 50 but done a lot of 100's.

MC MasterShake
    How many people are you expecting? What kind of bikes do most people ride on this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Maybe next year, there is no way I can do 40 miles right now.

I actually live on the last leg of this ride and it is pretty rocky and technical. Check out the link below for some picture of the section of trail from Rt57 in Southwick to Rt 187 in Agawam, right before Robinson State park. I have ridden this trail the opposite way from Westfield into CT (and back) and I have also ridden other parts of the Metacomet out near NewGate Prison. The picture in the link below are from a 5 mile stretch of the trail, but are typical of most of the riding I have done on the Metacomet.

Pics of todays ride on the Atlas

Maybe I will see you guys on the trail

Steam Donkey
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    How many people are you expecting? What kind of bikes do most people ride on this?
    1-Looking like quite a few. Maybe 10-15. Weather can change that in a hurry though. One great year, on and off very light rain and only three of us did it. We made good time. 2-Most use fairly light weight xc bikes. One strong rider brought a FR bike two years ago and was very sorry. He made it, but it hurt bad.

Steam Donkey

One Week!!!

The many rumblings of intent are filtering in. Looks like a good size group this year! I have heard through a friend of a friend of a friend about lots of people who are planning on it, but haven't confirmed. Please confirm your attendance! Shuttle, Water Stop, and Pizza need to be planned, so let me know.
    Notes:
    - Bring food for the day on the trail (Water stop is water only)
    - Tools, tubes and parts are good too.
    - Bring a blanket for your bike in the trailer
    - Bring something to share at the feed after
    - BYOB... There is none at my house.

And, in case you were interested, as a result of my sudden stop on the ground, there is an alternate leader for the tour. But, I am healing at break-neck speed and it looks like I should be able to ride. Steve 413-786-3744

Steam Donkey

... and if we just ... Anyone else?

Weather is looking stellar!

SkotOn
    Jun 2005
    I am one who does not want to weight the masses down...especially on such a technical track. Is there another group riding that is a little less technical that is happening around the GB area? ( I do not mean pathed walkways either!)

Currently in shape but trying to lose the fear of getting over such technical terrain...

Thansk for whatever insight anyone can give!

backwoods and backwards
    Tell us how it went. What a day for you all.
    Live the life you love!

Steam Donkey

Awesome!

It was a GREAT ride! Ended up somewhere between 34 and 36 miles, depending on who's device you looked at. Started out with a group of 14 and had a flat within the first five minutes, uh oh. Then a log, no more than 3 minutes later, gave my collar bone a little more pressure than it wanted. A couple minute delay. Thought the ride was going to be a bust. But from there on, it was absolutely smooth sailing. Couple super fiscial scraps, and not a single mechanical further! Weather was spectacular! Beaming sun and cool temps. Three riders dropped due to time constraints. Folks had a great time! Near the five hour mark the chatter started to slow and the abuse was setting in. A couple dudes were hurting pretty good near the end, so we straight lined the last little bit and dropped a couple miles. Some fit and tough customers this year! Not one hit the road and not one person complained! Finished up with all 11 of us, some smiling more than others. A couple were laying on my lawn for a while, before they managed to change and head in for the feast. The wife put out all the goods everyone brought along, as well as the pizza, fruit, veggies, and the monster carrot cake! We gorged on some delicious and well deserved fare!

There is talk of a three part series of EPIC RIDES, next year. We will see....

More pics tomorrow night.

See NEMBA for pix. More tonight, if time allows...
    http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthre...899#post153899

Steam Donkey

more pix have been posted on NEMBA

more pix have been posted on NEMBA