Thread: Estabrook Woods

mtbr member

Estabrook Woods

Here's a little write-up with some photos and maps of a ride I did recently into Estabrook Woods near Concord.

I hadn't heard of this place before, but it looks like there's alot of fun single and double track, and it makes a great connector between the end of Reformatory Branch Trail in Concord and Great Brook Farm in Carlisle.

Nor'Easter Backcountry: (Way) Beyond the Minuteman: Estabrook Woods (July 2012)

weekend warrior
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for taking the time to post that. Informative and entertaining read.

mtbr member
    42 miles? Nice.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to hitting this on an epic ride day soon..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice ride!

I've done Estabrook > Great Brook > Russell Mill and back:
    Concord to Russell Mill by kar_nut at Garmin Connect - Details

I saw on your blog that you were looking for a connector to LLF. I keep dreaming about doing a ride from LLF to Esta and then Russell Mill, though I don't think I'll have the time to do it this year.

OpenStreetMap (OSM) actually has most of the trails in this area mapped. Assuming you have a smartphone, there are a number of navigation apps that can utilize OSM map data. You can also use Bike Route Toaster to create a TCX file if you're running a Garmin and want a course to follow.

There are a number of trails from LLF to Estabrook that run parallel to the Minuteman for short distances, but I don't think you'll get there without some time on the Minuteman.

I spend most of my ride time in this area (work in Bedford) so let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to scope some trails out and send you gps tracks/photos so you can plan your next epic.

mtbr member
    Thanks all.

Car_nut, have you done any riding in Billerica? I can see there are some public lands and am wondering if there is any single/double track worth riding in there. I'll definitely check out OSM and BRT for routes in the area. I feel like I have a nice route from Bedford to Concord, and now from Concord to Carlisle... and the Greenough Land section really isn't that bad, but it would be nice to hit something southward to the LLF before rejoining the Minuteman.

Also, have you ridden Murray York and Wilderness Park? There's some interesting stuff in there. Wilderness gets a little Wilderness-y but most of it is rideable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sorry, I haven't personally ridden much in Billerica. OSM shows some opportunities to get you back onto the narrow gauge by way of dirt. Also looks like you might have a chance of getting pretty close to the Old Bedford Reservoir. I've heard stories of the Billerica "Prison Trails and dirt jump" though I don't know if they still exist. They would also likely be further North than where you're looking to go.

I'd be happy to go exploring up that way next week if it helps you out. Take a look at OSM and let me know what looks interesting to you.

mtbr member
    Greenough is actually fun if you make a right after the building and get through those first 400 yards of muddy rootiness. It's rideable, just takes some concentration. It's much better than the nasty roots the other way. Plus you're rewarded with some fun riding on the other side of the lake/pond that way (whatever that is)...

I definitely want to join you guys for this one when you go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I took a stab at mapping out a route from Greenough to LLF.

If you need a method of viewing the gpx:

Use GPS Visualizer
    Under "Get Started Now" browse to the file location and hit Go
    After the map is generated, pick OSM in the maps style drop down
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Thanks Carnut for recommending OSM. I downloaded the free iPhone app and used it last night to string together some singletrack around Lexington and out to the Minuteman NHP. I found some really neat stuff not far from my house.

Love that route you posted, especially the section through Dudley Park after the bridge. I usually cut left after the bridge and up to the end of the Narrow Gauge, but the section you posted looks much more interesting. I also spotted that section in Wilderness Park as a great spot to launch over to the LLF. I might hook a left at 62 and hit the LLF where 62 and 3 intersect. Not sure how bike friendly that part of 62 is though.

Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    I might hook a left at 62 and hit the LLF where 62 and 3 intersect. Not sure how bike friendly that part of 62 is though.
    It's not great, but not horrible either I suppose. During commuting hours there is a ton of traffic and making that left is challenging to say the least. There isn't a whole lot of run off room on the side of the road either. But, that road sees a lot of bike traffic and most people are expecting to see a cyclist at some point.

I also chose to route it through the Reservoir just because there is some nice buff single track in there Also, the rt 62/3 entrance to LLF starts with a pretty good hill which I personally wouldn't be interested in at mile 30.

I'm glad you found OSM helpful. The best part about it is that you can add trails from your GPS tracks. Most of the trails in this area are covered, but I've been slowly mapping out all of the trails where I live. If you come across anyything fun that isn't mapped, feel free to add it to OSM. It's a fantastic tool for planning trips like this or helping people who aren't familiar with the area trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So this is how i connect LLF to Estabrook. Take paint mine from the llf power lines. Exit onto Grove st. Directly across from Dewey st is entrance to Simmonds brook. see 3 ' post with mark. Exit to Fifer lane, cross concord st, exit the back of the cemetery to the MM bike path. Take the dirt path to monument st in concord. Rt at monument , left into punkatasket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you! It's amazing how easy it is to get lost in Estabrook! I've learned to only stick with the loop I know.

mtbr member
    Thanks Leeboh. I hadn't done that little bit on Fifer lane to get to the Minuteman, and also the entrance at Punkatasket is new to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Concord and lexington have great websites for their conservation areas. Worth checking out. Ever ride at Harold Parker ? My north shore NEMBA group does lots of trail work there. 25 + miles easy, plus nice connections to Ward Hill.

mtbr member
    Yes. I love Harold Parker. I think it has the best mix of techy rock gardens and smooth singletrack in the Boston area. Kinda like if Lynn Woods and Burlington LLF had a child. I used to do a lot of riding there at night. Not so much lately.

Female weekend warrior
    Great write up. I need to visit this section of the forums more often. Love Kimball Farm ice cream btw!