mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Eastern Fat Tire Blazes in LLF?

I noticed this morning that the EFTA had blazed a route in LLF. I'm not sure if these are new or if I just noticed them today since I was riding in actual daylight thanks to the clock change.

Does anyone know if they're planning an event here? I didn't see any mention of it on their site. I don't usually bother with racing or group riding due to time constraints, but I might make the effort for something happening on my "go to" trails.
    Last edited by car_nut; 11-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are we taking paper signs or something else?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Plastic yellow arrows with "Eastern Fat Tire Association" printed on them. Maybe 6" tall? They definitely seemed to be there for defining some sort of course. I'll grab a picture and try following the course tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rode there Sat and didn't see any of these arrows. Hmmmmm.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Attached is a pic of the blaze. They are about 7" x 3". Most of them look like they've been hanging out in someone's garage for about a decade as they have mold/rust stains on them. They are definitely new however as the staples (all 10 per arrow ??) are shiny new. I rode the course and I can say they are certainly new as there is no way I would have missed them before.

I rode as much of it as I could this morning but lost the trail at the top of the pine grove. My fingers were numb so I bailed. After uploading my ride it appears the markers follow this Strava segment:

Strava Segment | beddy time trial loop

You can see were I lost the trail and clipped the last 1/4 mile from the segment but Strava gave it to me anyway. The rest of the segment matches up perfectly with the course markers.

I'm going to email EFTA today and see if they did this. I'm hoping they did, because I'm not going to be amused if this was completed by some Strav*******. The arrows are big, ugly, peppered with staples and say "mountain biking" right on them. Not a good way to influence anyone who's already not a big supporter of MTB'ing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eastern Fat Tire Blazes in LLF?-imag0368.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    They weren't there on Sat. I wouldn't have missed those!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ewwww. Yeah, I'm thinking trail punk alert.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just to be clear, that's a close up pic to show the writing. They're a little larger than 1/2 a sheet of paper. They will certainly be viewed as obnoxious to someone who is more of a naturalist/hiker.