Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Earls trails names

Hey
    Anyone have a list of the names for Earls trails? I have a map, but everything is abbriviated. I kinda wanna learn the names, thanks.
    email:
    pauldotcom@comcast.net
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check your PM
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    wall street, birthday, christmas tree, E-Z, raybunctious, little tinker, glennabell, missing link.

That's all I know.

mtbr member
    I dont think raybunctious is on the circulated map, but I could be wrong. For the life of me I cant find it on the map, but I ride it quite often.

Thanks
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll tell everyone the names of all the trails at Earl's if people stop making braids / shortcuts and sanitizing the trails... (Yes, I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but still.)

Seriously: if the trail appears to go between two tight trees, it does, so don't make a braid around one of them: session it, walk it, or cut half an inch off your bars. Please don't link switchbacks or other sections of trails with braids. Please don't move the rocks in stream crossings to try to make it easier to cross. Please don't change trail features if you didn't build them. (I didn't, but I have a ton of respect for those who did.) The concept behind Earl's trails would appear to be tight, twisty, swoopy, XC-style singletrack, and it's a shame how that character's getting lost with erosion & trail widening. Way too many trails are now 1.5 track...

I've even seen a number of braids at Bachelor Street this season: I mean, if you need to link sections of Entrance Exam with a braid, you probably shouldn't be riding that trail.

P.S. It's Rambunctious, and it's not on the old Hampshire map.

mtbr member
    Who the hell are you talking to, really? I get the "concept" of the trails and have been riding them in a responsible manner (and also moved a bunch of crap off the trails after the storm), but I don't owe you an explanation.

Go find the band guys somewhere else officer Earl.

Oh crap -- I remember you from that last wacked out MA thread... I think your baiting me again... Not going to happen this time my friend... I will read only from here on out.
    Last edited by Pauldotcom; 05-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just having a brief rant, my friend, at those who mess with trails they didn't make. I don't know you, don't remember any previous thread, and certainly didn't intend to cast aspersions your way, which is why I said I was probably preaching to the choir by posting here.

Nearly every ride I've had at Earl's in the past year, I've had to get off the bike and move some fallen brush to block off some bone-headed braid. It's kind of a bummer, but I doubt the people who make those braids are reading this forum...

The work that was done by everyone after last fall's storms was pretty epic, of course. I'm sure you did your part, the way we all did. No offense intended, dude.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the clarification. Im not sure why anyone would create a shortcut off of a trail in Earls or Bstreet; the trails are perfect the way they are!

mtbr member
    Great trails.

mtbr member
    Even better with butter! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by am_dial View Post
    I'll tell everyone the names of all the trails at Earl's if people stop making braids / shortcuts and sanitizing the trails... (Yes, I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but still.)

Seriously: if the trail appears to go between two tight trees, it does, so don't make a braid around one of them: session it, walk it, or cut half an inch off your bars. Please don't link switchbacks or other sections of trails with braids. Please don't move the rocks in stream crossings to try to make it easier to cross. Please don't change trail features if you didn't build them. (I didn't, but I have a ton of respect for those who did.) The concept behind Earl's trails would appear to be tight, twisty, swoopy, XC-style singletrack, and it's a shame how that character's getting lost with erosion & trail widening. Way too many trails are now 1.5 track...

I've even seen a number of braids at Bachelor Street this season: I mean, if you need to link sections of Entrance Exam with a braid, you probably shouldn't be riding that trail.

P.S. It's Rambunctious, and it's not on the old Hampshire map.
    I saw that braid on Entrance Exam last weekend and had the same thought.

Not that I approve, but I can at least see the logic of why someone would create a trail braid at techy place like B-street or Millers Pond. But for the life of me i cant understand why someone would need create braids at Earls. If you don't have the chops to handle the techy gnar at Earls and feel that you need braids to avoid the 'technical sections' just give up on MTB and get a road bike.
    Even worse, I have been seeing some trail braids start to pop up at Robinson....WTF

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post

Not that I approve, but I can at least see the logic of why someone would create a trail braid at techy place like B-street or Millers Pond. But for the life of me i cant understand why someone would need create braids at Earls. If you don't have the chops to handle the techy gnar at Earls and feel that you need braids to avoid the 'technical sections' just give up on MTB and get a road bike.
    Even worse, I have been seeing some trail braids start to pop up at Robinson....WTF
    Robinson is exclusively one huge eroded trail braid in and of itself!

Trail braids are the devil and folks that make and ride them should be heckled and beat down. It's straight up lame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Argh. I blocked the one on EE with a bunch of brush and downed limbs... guess I need to go back there. And pretty much every time I block a braid at Earl's, it gets unblocked the next time I'm back... I finally gave up on the one at Glenna Bell & Parker, after my repairs got removed about six times -- where the trail went between two trees but most people now seem to ride up the bank to avoid going between the trees. Lame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey All,

I want to ride here tomorrow, but trying to figure out the best place to park/begin the trails. I'd assume for a first timer you kind of just have to ride around and figure it out?

PM if you have anything you are able to send to help out.

Thanks!

Tyler

mtbr member
    Park at the notch; it's the easiest way to explain. Take a right out of the lot, first left on mechanics st. Trail head is against the fence. Pick one, cruise down, and enjoy the flow

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's a map of many (though not all) Earl's trails that another rider made on Google:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...bcdbee0f6d45b4

The Notch Visitor Center is the blue dot thingie in the lower right. The trails start diagonally across the street off of Military Rd. (not mechanics st.).

mtbr member
    There is no trail called Jurassic Park. I believe you are refering to the Glena Bella?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Park at the notch; it's the easiest way to explain. Take a right out of the lot, first left on mechanics st. Trail head is against the fence. Pick one, cruise down, and enjoy the flow
    I found them, thanks so much! I think you meant to say Military, not Mechanic, but I ended up finding it alright I was a bit lost on the trails, but I think that is par for the course. If anyone ever wants to ride there with a "novice" I'd be totallly open to that!

Tyler

mtbr member
    Ouch, bad mistake on the road name! lol..
    I just got back - rode every trail - about 16miles or so I think... What a blast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Recently started doing a little mtn biking to supplement the road and pulled the trigger on buying a decent bike today. If one of you guys can see clear to PM me a map of Earl's that would be stellar (eparrot1@yahoo.com). I've been in there 2 or 3 times and it seems perfect for my, ahem, skill level.

I've read some of the threads on Earl's maps here. Sounds like some are of the opinion that the original mapmaker has pulled his map for a reason and may be in the process of updating it. I can see that. I found yet another one out there that someone put together last spring that has some information - I'm not allowed to post links on the forum yet, but you can find it easily enough by googling "earl's trails map" and it was the first link as of today.

The author admits he may have gotten some of the names wrong. If the original one is still around, I'd love to see it.

As for braids. . .yeah. A few times I have gone off course by accident (did I mention I suck technically?), but otherwise it's more honorable to walk the bike than braid.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ed - PM Sent

Harold
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank-you Harold! received and appreciated. I didn't have enough MTBR posts yet to respond to your PM, so consider this my thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks also to Paul for sending me a map as well. I've ridden in there several times now. I've got some more trail name questions if anyone would care to chime in. I've ridden a Strava segment called "X files to CS to Bunker". Is X-files just that little beginning section where you go left on the the NS Western trail right after the gate, then right until you hit the intersection and CS begins? Also, does the winding single track that is furthest east to climb to the bunker have a name, essentially the continuation of CS? It wasn't on the map at all, just the double track bunker road was.

Finally, if you go up to the bunker (say on bunker rd), go right along the fence, then left along the fence when it ends, then take your first right, what is that winding trail called? Is that called Rambunctious even up that high? This appears to be another great trail added since the map was made. In the lower area, there's a trail called Big tree on the old map that looks like it may correspond with either what I've seen called Rambunctious or the slightly lower one I've seen called Swiss Miss.

Great riding in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    On the unofficial trail maps I've seen online -- i.e., the maps created with GPS data (including the one you mention a few posts above) -- trail names are often wrong (or sometimes correct, but applied to the wrong trails).

Rambunctious starts just after the bunker fence, yes.

Big Tree is a different trail than both Swiss Miss and Rambunctious.

X-files is a name I've only heard a few bike store guys mention for the short connector you describe.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Most folks call the north section of the CS trail "Easy Trail" for some reason. I've always thought it was Condo Trail.. Errr.... Swiss Miss is fairly new but really, really flowing nice. When I am strung for time, I have been doing a quick 1hr loop that includes:
    park at the notch
    go down Easy Trail (CS?)
    hit Swiss Miss
    At the big tree, continue straight
    Take 2 rights to get to the double track near Chumura Rd.
    Climb till you see GB on the right
    Take that until you are at the balancing rock midsection (what do they call that!@)
    Take the northbound trail to 3B
    Hit the 3B until double track. Take a left and first right (this is rambunctious)
    Take that to the top.

7 miles or so. A nice 1hr or so loop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast