Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If by the "balancing rock" you mean the cairn of stones most of the way up Tinker, near the jcts of TI, TY, HS, CO, TT, GB, and MC, the name I've heard used for that small neighborhood is "splitsville" (for the tree at the start -- or end -- of GB, or the number of branching routes, or both).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks, guys! I may try Paul's suggested loop tomorrow. The beginning seems straightforward, get down Swiss Miss, wind up at the end of Cmura Rd, go up the double track. Now, the right on GB - if I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly in the context of the old map - GB runs from this double track west, crosses Parker rd once, then shortly afterwards comes back and crosses Parker Rd again slightly higher, then flows through a lot of twists, and then hits what @am_dial called Splitsville. From there, I would go up (south rather than north) to get to 3B, probably on HS from what I can tell from the map. Then I see at the end of 3B, you're pretty close to the middle entry point in Rambunctious.

I'll figure it out,it's just nice to know the names of the trails!

mtbr member
    Eparrot - Somone continued GB - the map doesnt include that.. Like I said, when you get close to Chumura (you can see the circle parking lot) there is a trail that heads up -- its a double track -- take that up and GB will be on your right. Stick to the trail -- it will eventually take you to the balancing rock.. lol...
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Actually - I am riding solo 2morrow morning figure around 8:30. If you want meet me at the notch and I will ride with you. Anyone else is also invited if you'd like to do a nice loop of the place. Depending on how you feel we can even explore some more.

LMK - message me and I will look out for you
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well I managed to find everything in Paul's loop except somehow I missed the big oak tree at the end of Swiss Miss (there WAS a big evergreen tree that maybe was it) so I ended up going straight on the bottom part of the TT (tricky turn trail), cutting back down to the parking lot then going up and taking a right on the new portion of Glenna Bell and going all the way to Splitsville as suggested. Up on 3B I ran into some guys from NCC, turned around and rode with them and wound up doing the full Glenna Bell again before opting to take the easier North Side Road back towards the bunker.

Thanks again both of you for the tips. I think I've got a pretty good handle on where most of the stuff between 116 and Parker Road is, though I haven't ridden all of it yet. That new map that was posted on a blog in May is actually much easier to follow than the old maps, and it more accurately reflects the trails as they are now, but it has very few trail names and of the ones that are on it, only Swiss Miss is 100% accurate I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can someone please send me a map of Earls please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @Hilltoppr - PM sent

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    One other thing. The Holyoke Range map including Earl's and B street, is on Maprika if you download it for your phone. It's not on Maprika if you browser their maps online I don't think.

mtbr member
    I'd appreciate the map, we're riding Earls tomorrow AM. Thanks.
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    email me and I'll send you it: pauldotcom@comcast.net

Just got back. Its tough to navigate; leaves are everywhere!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i may ride there tomorrow morning as well, pretty early. It depends on a couple things. You could try downloading Maprika for your phone and install the "holyoke range" map. That has earl's and several other sections on it, though it is missing one or two of the new trails that are on Paul's map.

mtbr member
    I might also.. Not real early, but maybe 10ish...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2