Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do you hate deer flies?

Me too !

You know those flies in the woods that constantly follow you and attack the back of your head. They don't bite that often, but mostly just chase you and are highly annoying. Well we've got swarms of the bloody things around here. This morning I got some spider webs stuck on my helmet and look what I caught. Kind of grossed me out at first, thought they were just hanging out there, but then I realized they were all stuck. Suckers!

August 2012 040

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Me too !

You know those flies in the woods that constantly follow you and attack the back of your head. They don't bite that often, but mostly just chase you and are highly annoying. Well we've got swarms of the bloody things around here. This morning I got some spider webs stuck on my helmet and look what I caught. Kind of grossed me out at first, thought they were just hanging out there, but then I realized they were all stuck. Suckers!
    Nice photo!. They've been bad at Wompy recently too. We also found that they can draft easily behind you at 25mph!

You need an anti-fly cannon in that gun mount up front!

mtbr member
    Since I'm riding wompy tonight, I googled a bit and found one guy swears that Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen repels them. I might try that tonight, but I'm definitely going to order some of these: Deerfly Patches

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Since I'm riding wompy tonight, I googled a bit and found one guy swears that Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen repels them. I might try that tonight, but I'm definitely going to order some of these: Deerfly Patches
    These work well! Went on a ride a couple weeks ago with a guy who had one on the back of his helmet. By the end of the ride he had 22 flies stuck. He said he noticed a big difference in the number that typically swarm your head, b/c they got stuck right away...cool!

aka Gumbo
    Apr 2006
    When they are real bad I use a cut out section of an old white cotton sheet under my helmet with enough hanging out the back to cover my neck. They still swarm around my head but don't bother me except when the occasional one gets underneath. It is a little warmer but not bad. Basically just a cheap thin do-rag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes! Hate these little buggers. There's always a couple that dive bomb me from the front and land in my helmet vents. Then you can feel them in there buzzing away. Of course, you can't stop to pull your helmet or you'll get attacked.

mtbr member
    I tried the Hawaiian Tropic, it seemed to work ok, although all the other guys didn't seem to have any flies around them so maybe they're almost died off. I did hear one buzz me late in the ride when we had stopped to regroup. And, I smelled nice.

mtbr member
    Nice, those patches are cool, good idea to keep em off you.

I notice you have a pugs, dirtyjack. Hows the fat riding up near Wompy. I've got a Fatback and I ride mostly down here in Westport or on the Cape.

mtbr member
    Candyman, Candyman, Candyma,....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I got huge bite on the back of neck from one. Hurt like crazy.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    One of the guys I ride with told me his dog got bit by one and he didn't notice it hung around. Next thing he new the fly had dug into the skin of his dog. Now I freak out every time one gets stuck in the vents.

mtbr member
    Just following up on this topic, I bought some of these deerfly patches on Amazon, and we tested them out on Friday evening at Wompatuck. As you can see, they are very effective:

I stashed one in my pocket on a Saturday ride in Duxbury but didn't need it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wow these things were all over us the other day at borderland. Got bit on my cheek, had them buzzing in my ear and eventually inhaled one. Don't remember them being this bad before. The good thing is it keeps us motivated to move faster, and take less bs breaks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just ordered the deerfly patches, can't wait for them to get here - thanks! Is there anything that actually works on preventing mosquito bites? Tried numerous repellents, DEET and non-DEET, but even if it works at first you sweat it off so quickly in this weather that it's not even worth putting any on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh man, I hate those little bast... grrrr. I was out yesterday at Talbot in Northboro doing a hangover ride. The first half around the lake was fine, but when I crossed the street through the old farm to the climb and bridge, they SWARMED... and they were biting! Got three bites on me and never climbed a tough hill that fast in my life.

When I spilled out into the Fed Ex parking lot, I just hauled to out-run them and went back to the car. That was miserable.

I'll totally pick up some of those patches - thanks for sharing!

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Do you hate deer flies?-image.jpg
    I need a bigger patch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    that is so gross!!!! all I can imagine is trying to scratch the back of my head hand putting my hand into a pile of flies.

better on the patch I guess than biting and buzzing around.

for what it's worth I was getting swarmed at wompy last week and a friendly biker with some off with 30% deet was nice enough to let me use some. immediately was better and didn't have any deer flies around. I rode for another three hours and they never bothered me again so it last at least that long.

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	819167
    I need a bigger patch.
    So, the question is, does that patch make it more tolerable to ride with the deer flies, or are they still swarming around your head before finally getting stuck? It is clearly catching them, that's for sure...

guru meditation
    Oh man PETA is going to flip out if they see this picture haaahah. Really bad year so far for these POS bugs, bit more times earlier this week than during all of last year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Damn, those flies were all over me last weekend. I must have taken the helmet off three times to shake the bugs out; those flies were hungry, biting and driving me crazy. The fly tape looks interesting, but I really don't want to be hauling flies around for two hours. Fawkers kept biting my hands, trying to go right through my gloves, too!

mtbr member

Do you hate deer flies?

Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	819167
    I need a bigger patch.
    Wow, where was that?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I call them "coaches" because they compel you to ride FASTER....but more effective!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    The deerflies were unbearable at Wompy yesterday. Patches were ineffective. We could bat handfuls of them out of the air they were so thick.
    We finally gave up when they started chomping on us right through our jerseys. I hope they die off soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was in Wompy 2 weekends ago and the flies were brutal. I didn't make it out this past weekend but it sounds like they were even worse. I've heard Vicks Vapor rub helps to repel them. My buddy and I are planning to ride in Wompy on Saturday; Jack if you're out there I'll be the guy with Vicks smeared accross the back of his helmet. Can't hurt, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The deerflies were unbearable at Wompy yesterday. Patches were ineffective. We could bat handfuls of them out of the air they were so thick. We finally gave up when they started chomping on us right through our jerseys. I hope they die off soon.
    It's brutal when you're garnering the inspiration to power through the next section and your will to live is getting sucked out by those flying PITAs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast