person

Discovering old trails

I started MTB on trails in my town. Nothing too amazing, just doubletrack quad trails good place to start off though. Course now I usually ride at more challenging locations, but a few days ago I didn't have the time to head to Leominster SF so I decided to ride local trails again, and did some exploring. Suprisingly I found some singletrack(probably the only trails not torn apart by ATV's or quads). And they are amazingly good, with tons of potential. So past couple days my girlfriend and I have been doing trail work and we've built several new trails, discovered many old ones, and built/rebuilt several new/old obsticals. Anyway here a few shots of some of the things we've done so far.

DSC00666.JPG

Large fallen over tree w/ approaches already built up (Found this)

DSC00667.JPG

Approach side, same tree

DSC00668.JPG

Series of rocks linked together by us

DSC00670.JPG

Ladder ramp off rock (found this too) Needs another support on the side thats slanting but its solid otherwise

DSC00674.JPG

low bridge built over muddy area by us.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

person
    Just a few more....

DSC00675.JPG

Ramp Built up to rock by us, nice roller on the reverse side

DSC00676.JPG

Nice 2, maybe 2.25 footer, My Gf's Dog Lacey is in the shot, she was a spaz today heh

From what we've found so far, it looks like these trails were pretty awsome a while back., and we've been doing some work to make these trails a great place to ride again. We cut a few new trails, found many others and built/rebuilt several obsticals. We're definetly trying to get a serious MTB community started up around here, and once we're done most of the new loops by spring. The main problem around here are the motorized offroaders, mostly they just tear up trails/obsticals. By spring we'll get some kind of line of communication w/ them established. Hopfully we'll get people from the area to try the place out. Trails are located in Gardner MA, (G-Vegas). Often called Pearly brook trails, located near local Municipal Golf Course. PM me if you from the area if you want to check them out or help out.

Will post some more pics of the other things we found....kinda forgot I had the camera w/ me for a while heh
    Last edited by G-VegasMTBiker; 11-26-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    That's good stuff. I don't live in Ma, but close enough in R.I. and I also found that some local trails to me go much further than I thought. And there's lots and lots of rock features that I've started to work on with drops and rollers in mind. It's nice not having to drive anywhere to ride.....Post some pics of yourself on some of your new found stunts if possible, that's my plan anyway.Btw, the ramp to rock you built isn't quite finished is it? Looks like a wheel grabber as it is now
    Busy monster eats dark holes in the spirit world
    Where wild things have to go
    To disappear
    Forever... - B.C.

person
    hehe yea it wasn't finished at that point...ran outa boards. heres the finished product, along w/ reverse side

DSC00688.JPG

DSC00689.JPG

Rode it for the first time a couple days ago, but I was alone w/ no camera. Actually broke a rung first time out, but I did have the hammer and nails w/ me fortunatly and I fixed it up. Theres another awsome obstical that I was dying to try, but it was waaay too rotten, even to be fixed so the GF and myself are gonna rebuild it this weekend possibly. Like I said before by the summer if we get enough free time this place will be worth checking out. thanks for the reply -Dave

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

crumblin' erbs
    Build quality looks sketchy.If its out there on a public trail you want this stuff to be sturdy.I don't mean to sound corny but THINK SAFETY.
    Building stunts is fun, but building stunts that could cause injury ain't so cool.Look for scrap wood around your town or buy 2x4's tear apart pallets and use that wood. Branches and deadfall just ain't going to cut it.
    Keep up the work tho!
    [SIZE="1"][/SIZE]You can't soar with eagles if your flying with turkeys

blet drive
    looks like fun!! kep up on the good work
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

person
    I agree, safety is our main concern. All the wood we used was super solid, granted not as solid as boards but these are just temporary measures. We plan to rebuild every obstical which was build from forest wood to be replaced w/ lumber. That said, all the stunts we've built now have been consturcted w/ safety in mind, we build everything strong enough to support the both of us standing (Combined = about 275lbs), and we check every part of each stunt. Which means the relativly short time spent one the stunt while riding will be well with in the limits of the stunt.(plus the weight is more distributed). I admitt that i f'd up with that rung that snapped but everything on it has since been checked, and I check it and every other thing we've built every time I go out there. (definetly going to see how they're holding up after all this rain).

Thanks a lot for your concern, and for the reply
    -Dave

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch