Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2010

DCR's draft RMP for Holyoke Range - please comment

I by all means don't care if people build trail as long as it it built smart and is well built. As are all the trails I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Of course, most of the 'new' trails come in two varieties. 1. Re-routes (especially entrances and exits) of somewhat poorly conceived sections of older trails (the IMBA trail being the biggest offender, but the re-design on Raptor, Roller Coaster and Jacob's Ladder are other good examples)-of course, these re-designs are more eco-friendly, more sustainable and more flowy than what preceded them-in any objective sense, they were all needed and appreciated improvements. The DCR neither understands nor cares to understand the value of well-built trails, however. 2. Expansion onto private property abutting the State Forest. This isn't the DCR's concern at all, except that they hate trails that leave or return to the reservation on private property (and they have stated as much in various RMP's here in elsewhere)

The Pretty awesome trail that Connects Lizard King to Technical Trail, and the equally awesome, and very batchelor-streetesque Yellow Brick RD are the two trails that were 'recently' constructed and don't fit this mold. However, they are great trails, enjoyed by many (maybe even enjoyed by Shreddin22) and worthy of inclusion in any lasting trail system.

Next time you talk to the surviving original B-Street architects, try to really pin them down on how 'authorized' any of those trails were (only the Technical Trail and the Imba trail really fit the Land Manager/ eager Volunteer cooperative effort...and they are the two worst trails in B-Street or Earl's!).

Liam, I recently discovered another brand new trail out there...it's the best yet! I haven't a clue who's doing the awesome rogue building. Those law breakers!

Hope all is well with you. It has been a while.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yo, PulsePro-I haven't been to B-Street yet this season. Hey are you going to Vermont Mountain Bike Fest this year?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The draft RMP will be voted on by the DCR Stewardship Council at their next meeting on July 11th at the Quabbin Visitor's Center in Belchertown. I've asked one of the Stewardship Council members to let me know how the comments from all of us were resolved into the final document (which won't again be made public until approved by the Council) no reply yet from that member.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nope. No VT fest for me this year. You going? Drop a PM if you want a tour of some other nearby brand-new "stuff."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Any update on this issue? I moved away years ago but always ride a bunch when I'm back for a visit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Squid View Post
    Any update on this issue? I moved away years ago but always ride a bunch when I'm back for a visit.
    maybe Harold or Steffi can speak to what happened with the DCR. I do know that the trails that were open last year in B street and Earl's seem to still be open this year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The rmp was adopted, there has been no action since. One that check box was ticked, DCR moved it's attention to other things. I suspect nothing will change, nor the document be looked at, until someone asks, through official process, to Change something.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2