Thread: Cutler Park

mtbr member

Cutler Park

I've never ridden Cutler Park. Can someone give me some tips as to which direction to ride the trails and maybe the best place to park?

thanks in advance
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Check out the Strava segments for Cutler, they will show you the way most people ride, this goes for any place. With Cutler its pretty hard to get it wrong. It’s a long park and pretty much an out an back ride though the first half can be made into a loop. Anyways I ride counter clockwise like this…

Park at the Kendrick parking lot

Start heading past the corporate office building towards the highway

Turn into the park

When you reach a little peninsula with a bench near the lake across from it there will be a trail heading up to the high way, take that.

Keep taking right turns and sticking close to the highway. Fun singletrack.

When it finally spits you out on to a main trail take a right and follow it across the 1st long wooden bridge.

Keep going straight (don’t take a right)

This is Powells island, an awesome single track and hotly contested Strava segment.

You can loop this island many times, or take a left and go through a series of nasty puddles (watch out for the last two), I endoed into the last one this summer. If your on a 29er plow right through!

Just keep following this trail through the tunnel, keep right along the rail road.

Then take a left to catch the main trail again, this will lead to a decrepit pump track. I just go right through thee are two jumps you can hit….meh.

You will go through a heavily rooted section and then the last and super long wooden bridge.

Some people ride on the other side of Cutler I ventured into there a while ago and there were just too many trees down. Never gone back.

Once I get to the road I turn around and do it all again. Usually hang right after the 1st wooden bridge. This is the loop part, you will return to your car from the other side of the lake.

Cutler is awesome if I have errands to run in Boston/Newton area I usually bring the bike for a quick ride there. One thing about Cutler… it is very popular with Cyclocrossers. Some of them are complete douche bags who sprint through the wooden bridges pushing people into the reeds. On the weekends it is possible to see dozens of them zipping through the park. A few times I made the mistake of riding there in the weekend, only to find the place infested with cyclocrossers, could have been a race or a group training day. Plus you have lots of hikers and dog walkers on the weekends. One of my favorite spots for smooth flowy riding in Mass.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply. Luckily I'm retired, so, I can ride during the week. Rode the LLF on thursday and saw one person.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Your welcome, I haven’t been to LLF in ages how is it now?

I heard they have done quite a bit of trail work with bridges there recently.

mtbr member
    The LLF is my favorite local place. It has a little of everything.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Like starting on the other side the highway.
    Directions: Take the main road over 128 then take a left. Next left onto the side road. Trail entrance halfway down the road on the right. The trail is smooth, up and down, no one ever on the trail. Take trail underneath the railroad bridge to the cul-del-sac. Follow the road and take a left. Go maybe quarter mile to the south entrance of Cutler Park.

The rest of park is fun but I try to loop back along the highway and make the trip back to the other side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Like starting on the other side the highway.
    Directions: Take the main road over 128 then take a left. Next left onto the side road. Trail entrance halfway down the road on the right. The trail is smooth, up and down, no one ever on the trail. Take trail underneath the railroad bridge to the cul-del-sac. Follow the road and take a left. Go maybe quarter mile to the south entrance of Cutler Park.

The rest of park is fun but I try to loop back along the highway and make the trip back to the other side.
    Yeah i saw this on the map and how other people incorporate it into their rides. Always wondered about it, I have to try it next time I am out there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The stuff on the other side of the railroad tracks is pretty fun. There used to be a good little pump track in there, but I dont think its been maintained in quite some time.