mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Curious about talking $ on a new bike

I am looking to pick up a new FS bike here in the next couple of weeks and was wondering what people thought about talking $ with the LBS'. I wasnt sure if shops would budge much on price or if that is even something you can do with a new bike. I was looking at a 2012 Specialized Camber 29 which was listed at $1999.95 at my LBS. I also had considered looking at Giant Trance x4, but have yet to find one on the showroom floor, and the 2012 trek rumblefish which is listed for $2499 at my LBS.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks!
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    One local LBS in my area (Comp Edge) always talks price and it seems like everything has room for negotiations.

They also have demo bikes that can be an absolute steal! The camber is a great bike, but the price your LBS is offering it at is pretty standard (although it depends on which Camber 29 it is)
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It is the base model Camber 29.
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i haven't paid what the tag said yet. they always move some.as far as getting a giant to see or ride try giant boston. they are really the only place that has a good amount of stuff in stock. that is the one good thing about specizlized is that there is no shortage of dealers it seems every 20 miles.

mtbr member
    I have bought mostly demos for screaming deals the past few years, but then I lusted over an Ibis mojo HD after test riding it, but even that you can save money with some shops if you pay cash, as the shop saves the money on credit card transactions... can't see your gonna find alot of deals with the big 3 as I call them.. giant, trek, and specialized... your talking probably only a couple hundred give or take...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Check out Blue Steel Cyclery in Manchester, NH for the Trance. They were the only place I was able to locate one in my size last August when I was sniffing around for one, and they gave me a good deal.

mtbr member
    Likewise to s&w sports in concord nh. They have a big giant/trek inventory... Check them out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can get a bit of movement on the bike usually, but the real savings come on accessories generally.

mtbr member
    In general, you can just tell them what bike you want and how much money you have to spend. The most they can do is tell you no, and on the upside they may just sell it to you. Most manufacturers require that bikes be sold at no less than XX% off MSRP. For Specialized I think it's 20%, and bike shops cannot go any lower unless it's > 1 year closeout. But bottom line it never hurts to ask.
    "Got everything you need?"