my fun has a hurting

considering a move to boston next year...

currently i live in pittsburgh pa and while the city might leave something to be desired the mountain biking is plentiful. i'm used to lots of steep hills (we are in the foothills of the allegheny mountains) full of all mountainy goodness and tight, rocky/rooty, technical singletrack. am i going to be screwed if i move to boston? is there hope? do i need to get used to riding on manmade features or set my chameleon up for urban free-ride? any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

MC MasterShake
    Sorry, nothing but flat doubletrack on crowded hiking trails here in Boston.

Just kidding. The Boston area has some incredible riding w/a really chill riding scene. There's riding North, South, and West of the city. You won't find a lot of elevation here but don't need it. What you will find is some really techy "All Mountain" singletrack full of rocks, root, drops, ramps, pretty much anything you want (besides elevation). Personally, I would recommend living north of the city. This gives you quick access to some great trails plus it's a quick drive north where there's a ton of riding as well. Belive me, you would not regret moving to Boston for mountain biking.

my fun has a hurting
    well the lady is pretty much dead set on getting a place in either charlestown or the north end... do they let you bring bikes on the commuter rail? i didn't notice any racks on buses when we were up last week. i don't own a car and i try to use the "shared" car as little as possible so if i could access trails via transit and bike it would be awesome.

thanks for the info!

MC MasterShake
    You might be able to get to Middlesex Fells w/o a car but that place isn't great to ride. To get to the good trails you would definitely need a car. The Boston area is great for riding. The city itself isn't so great for riding.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    "{charlestown or the north end.."

Good luck with that, I hope you make some good money.Then again nothing around here is cheap. Buying or renting? I love the city ...for a day . As woodyak said the north shore is the place to be. As for the riding scene check out bustedspoke.com also for the local low down.

mtbr member
    Yea, bustedspoke is great if you like threads of teenagers showing off their bikes that their parents bought them. Bustedspoke is a waste of time. You can find much more info here and at NEMBA.org. Ridemonkey.com is a cool site too.

Oh, and Middlesex Fells is a pretty cool place to ride. I've only ridden there twice but was quite impressed.

my fun has a hurting
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    "{charlestown or the north end.."

Good luck with that, I hope you make some good money.Then again nothing around here is cheap. Buying or renting? I love the city ...for a day . As woodyak said the north shore is the place to be. As for the riding scene check out bustedspoke.com also for the local low down.
    well i'm a flash developer and do photo retouching and other design work on the side and she's a surgical pa in orthopedics so between the two of us we aren't doing too bad for ourselves. we would be renting for sure. at least until we found exactly the right place to buy. housing is way too expensive up there to just buy the first thing that comes along...

any of you guys know how mbta feels about bikes on transit? we can take them on the subway/trolley here in off peak hours and the inclines any time of day....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdburch
    any of you guys know how mbta feels about bikes on transit? we can take them on the subway/trolley here in off peak hours and the inclines any time of day....
    Basically you can bring a bike subway and commuter rail during off peak hours, and some of the bus routes have racks now too. Details on which lines (subway, bus, commuter rail) allow bikes and when can be found here. Unfortunately using a car around here to get to riding is often required, at least to get to some of the better riding. If you decided to meet up with some locals to ride I bet you could work something out in terms of meeting them somewhere to grab a ride.

Good luck with your move.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

Mythical Creature
    Why bother with the T - especially on nice days? North End and Charlestown are so close - just ride to work! Lordy, from (way out comparitively) Newton Corner, where I grew up - to say, Kenmore Square was 20 minutes, and Copley / Downtown peraps 25-30 minutes. And that's not hammering either.

I thought that's why you mentioned neighborhoods so close in...
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

my fun has a hurting
    the question about the t was for getting out of town for mtb rides. mostly i was wondering about the commuter rail to get me closer to the good riding spots. i commute 20+ miles round trip daily now unless i have time to ride further. my normal "quick commute" has about 7 miles of climbing combined and a good few thousand feet of elevation gained overall.

Mythical Creature
    i was wondering about the commuter rail to get me closer to the good riding spots.
    Ah - I read it the 'other way' - sorry.

I know the further extents of the red line (still out at Alewife?) set you out a good bit from beantown - but no idea abou rides nearby. The orange line ends - where? Up in Malden? Sounds like there's been a lot of work north and would be curious to hear how far riding is from THERE....

Hell - you can easily ride the commuter rail up to Gloucster! There HAS to be some riding up there....

(dusts of old t maps)
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -