MTBR Member
    Apr 2008

Concerns riding during hunting season.

Hi all,

I frequent Harold Parker and LDT quite a bit after late-night work for my early AM rides. I understand that it's hunting season (archery) at these two parks. Should I be concerned about riding during this time? I'd rather keep my eyes on the trails and not worry about stray arrows! Of course, I'll be dressed up in bright orange and equipped with bells, but now I worry of the dangers every time I see Bambi (or some other game creature) out there.

-Ian

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacid
    Hi all,

I frequent Harold Parker and LDT quite a bit after late-night work for my early AM rides. I understand that it's hunting season (archery) at these two parks. Should I be concerned about riding during this time? I'd rather keep my eyes on the trails and not worry about stray arrows! Of course, I'll be dressed up in bright orange and equipped with bells, but now I worry of the dangers every time I see Bambi (or some other game creature) out there.

-Ian
    At HP just ride where there is no hunting allowed. Nearest resedential areas.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    May 2004
    HP west of Jenkins and around Berry Pond Rd. is closed to hunting. DCR map - hatched area is closed at all times. Birds are stocked in the Salem Pond area and you will see orange hats, shotguns, and dogs. Yes there are bow hunters out there, but I think this is almost no risk if you have some orange on. If you see a bow hunter walking out of the woods, talk with them. They are very aware of their surroundings and not likely to get excited and shoot at something other than a deer. Shotgun season for deer is another matter, but that's just a couple of weeks.

Class Clown
    i only hunt the most dangerous game.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I also hang a bell under my seat so people can hear me approaching. Sometimes the hunters don't stay within the defined areas....

-M

guru meditation
    Not specifically at HP but in the past two weeks I have seen dozens of hikers and dog walkers without any orange on at all

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Don't wear a Helmet with Antlers on it

Don't dress in brown with a big white spot.

Seriously the Bow Hunters don't worry me. they are careful about there shot. and really have to think about it . to the point most bow hunters Dress in Camo.

Now the Wacky Shotgun boys they worry me a bit more.
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Circusjunk
    Don't wear a Helmet with Antlers on it

Don't dress in brown with a big white spot.

Seriously the Bow Hunters don't worry me. they are careful about there shot. and really have to think about it . to the point most bow hunters Dress in Camo.

Now the Wacky Shotgun boys they worry me a bit more.
    I agree. Bow season = no worry. Shotgun season = no way. Muzzleloader = orange vest.

mtbr member
    The only time that I use extra caution beyond blaze orange is during shotgun season. We usually tie sleigh bells to our seat rails and make sure that we ride in a compact group. In 6 seasons of riding I've never run into a conflict with a hunter.....knock on wood.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Last year, I was out riding about a week before shotgun season. Up ahead on the trail I see one of those big four wheelers. So I keep riding up to it slowly and once I get fairly close I start looking around for anybody. Low and behold, I look in the woods to the left and there is a guy with his shotgun pointed across the trail to a target in the woods on the opposite side of the trail! I stopped and at that point he finally saw me. I talked with him for awhile and he said he was getting in some target practice before hunting season.

What Kind of an idiot shoots across a main trail? I ride away and hear BANG BANG. I guess the moral of the story is you can never be too careful! Wear orange, it could save your life! At least he parked his quad on the trail so I could see it, although this guy is still an idiot in my book!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmass
    Last year, I was out riding about a week before shotgun season. Up ahead on the trail I see one of those big four wheelers. So I keep riding up to it slowly and once I get fairly close I start looking around for anybody. Low and behold, I look in the woods to the left and there is a guy with his shotgun pointed across the trail to a target in the woods on the opposite side of the trail! I stopped and at that point he finally saw me. I talked with him for awhile and he said he was getting in some target practice before hunting season.

What Kind of an idiot shoots across a main trail? I ride away and hear BANG BANG. I guess the moral of the story is you can never be too careful! Wear orange, it could save your life! At least he parked his quad on the trail so I could see it, although this guy is still an idiot in my book!
    Thank God it's only two weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Riding during hunting season

I usually stay off of the single track that heads through the deep woods. I'll just hit the dirt roads instead. I also wear my day-glow green commuter jacket. I've never had a run-in with any hunters or close calls ( I'm knocking on wood right now). I also use hunting season to get some good night riding in. Most hunters are out of woods by dark.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My secret - Ride with Liam. Non-stop talking!
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeharder36
    I also use hunting season to get some good night riding in. Most hunters are out of woods by dark.
    Not only that, but very few deer have headlights.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Last December in Nam someone fired at me (or directly in my direction) with a rifle, hit the deck and heard the round clipping through the trees. Was not wearing orange.

guru meditation
    Holy #&@% !!!!!!!!!!

This weekend there were some dudes blasting handguns into dirt pile off one of the trails at Plummers Corner. Good times!

mdc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goingblankagain
    Holy #&@% !!!!!!!!!!

This weekend there were some dudes blasting handguns into dirt pile off one of the trails at Plummers Corner. Good times!
    We ran into those guys on Sunday as well- sketchy to say the least.

My thought on hunting season is this- We've got 50ish weeks a year to ride without worrying about getting shot- let the hunters do their thing. Stay out of the woods, wear blaze orange if you MUST go out and be safe. They have every right to be there-sometimes more than us....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Hunting season

We have as much right to be out there as they do. It's not my problem they chose a sport they can only enjoy a few weeks a year. While I agree that a little caution is smart, they also need know what they are shooting at. I'm sick to death of other outdoor enthusists trying to tell me I can't ride my mountain bike while they are in the woods. Thats ********!!!. To all you hunters, snowmoblers, snowshoers, x-country skiers, hikers, runners, dog walkers, etc. I will be riding my mountain bike whenever I friggen feel like it. GET USED TO IT!!!

MC MasterShake
    I ride all over the north shore of MA and I've never had any problems with hunters. Some will wave to you while others will snarl. I just make sure to keep moving. I had a run in with a bow hunter who was pissed because we stopped to rest and we were chatting. He came out of nowhere and had been hiding at the trail head all day. I saw his point but he didn't have to be such an arse. I think this same guy got into it with an MTB rider at the bar and got put in the hospital.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds like he deserved it

MBN
    mtbr member
    I ride HP 2 to 4 times per week.

I rode there on Thanksgiving morning. I saw 4 guys with shotguns.

I know of two different tree stands.

It would be a good idea to wear orange, and to get a bell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Went to HP a month ago. We saw two hunters in the woods and another bunch in the parking areas getting ready to go in the woods. I and another rider wore Blaze Orange vests. We saw at least 8 other bikers, none of whom wore orange. It's the biker's responsibility and their own risk.

During the ride, my view was immediately drawn to a hunter in the woods who wore the orange color. That color really catches the attention even if you're not looking in the direction. It stands out! But I always wondered what the hunters thought of us bikers when they were quiety stalking/waiting for game and then I ride by making a racket on the trail with the bike.

One time at HP, was in the west side and rode into what I thought was a hunting restricted zone, but I heard repeated gunfire just a short distance from me. Needless to say, I turned back and took another route. This repeated shooting was far away from the gun club so it didn't make me feel comfortable.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member

It's almost here

Shotgun season starts on Monday, Nov 30 and runs until Dec 12, then black powder season until the 31st. Get your orange out or better yet your headlight and just ride after dark, which is so depressingly early. I've had run in's with hunters and been aimed at, so in the day I stick to places where hunting is banned and I still wear lots of orange and try to make noise when I round a blind corner or hill.

Don't forget there is no hunting on Sundays in MA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey I'm all for wearing orange or in my case my dayglo green commuter jacket. But I will not, let me repeat, will not hang a friggin bell off my mountain bike. I also won't think twice of calling the police if a hunter ever points a gun at me! Everyone is always whining about sharing the trails, well maybe the whiners should put up or shut up!! I have no problem sharing the trails with anyone, we all have a right to use them, at anytime, or any season!!

mtbr member
    I read about a hunter in RI who fired at some noise and shot his son a few years back. If a guy can be careless enough to kill his own son then I don't want to be anywhere near people like that when I'm riding. My father is an avid deer hunter and I realize that 99% of hunters are responsible, but unfortunately some are idiots. The time I was "aimed" at I was riding singletrack and this guy heard something in the brush and he leveled his gun at it to be ready to fire. He obviously waited until I was in sight and didn't fire, but it was still a scary situation, and took the fun out of the ride for sure.

Riding in areas that are hunted during hunting season isn't a good idea, but its a free country. I would rather not count on the police or a hunter's judgement, its not like we're arguing semantics, if an accident happens I could be dead.

But then like I said, most hunters are responsible and don't want to kill anyone. And its not like bikers die every year, in fact I don't think I've ever heard of a biker getting blown away by a hunter. Just take precautions, wear orange, and avoid dawn and dusk (when light is bad and deer and hunters are active).