mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Coloradan seeks MA trail advice

Hi All - I'll be in Middlebury VT for a few days at the end of June and I'm looking for 2 days of riding in forested singletrack with lots of climbing (might not exist). I did the Kingdom Trails last year and want to try something new maybe in Western MA. Can anyone recommend and area/trails in Southern VT or Western MA. Thanks.

Chris

mtbr member
    Wendell State Forest might fit that bill.

mtbr member
    Personally, I think Bachelor Street has the best trails in Western, MA. Tons of climbing, trails built specifically for mtb, and enough for 2 days of riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wendell or Hawley are two really fine choices in Western Mass for techy with vertical. Give us a shout when you are in the area. The kid is home from college for the summer and will give you a leg burning tour of either. The next day I'll take you on a recovery loop of which ever you don't do with him.

Neither have Colorado like climbs, but what there is still hurts mighty fine.

I've heard tell that the stuff at Ascutney VT is pretty fine as well. I'm sure someone else will comment.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O
    Personally, I think Bachelor Street has the best trails in Western, MA. Tons of climbing, trails built specifically for mtb, and enough for 2 days of riding.
    Sorry Scott, but Batch is one of our flatter areas out here.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv
    Sorry Scott, but Batch is one of our flatter areas out here.
    Whaaaa???? I guess I must've just hallucinated that whole Holyoke range thing there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O
    Whaaaa???? I guess I must've just hallucinated that whole Holyoke range thing there.

Like Einstein suggests, It's relative, There's some serious vertical to be pedaled in there, of course, but only if you climb Mt Norwottuck (on the M&M, RF-which pretty much no one does).

IF you're sticking to the actual B-Street Singletrack-there's a lot of up and down (because it's hilly like everywhere in western, MA), but no real punishers or sustained grunts.

And yeah, there a few good leg burners as well (climbing from the parking lot, up IMBA, Up Viper and up to the high point of the technical trail will work out the strongest of legs!!)

Earl's Trails, especially when you start of of Chmura RD serves up more sustained climbs (a few pretty tough ones in fact) than B-street. And on the Lithia Springs side there are opportunities for crushing climbs

AS I said, Hilliness is relative, and depending on where you normally ride the constant technical up and down at Batchelor St may be 'a lot of climbing'.

But compared to the big climbs involved in a full ride at Wendell, Hawley, The DAR, Mt Tom, Mt. Toby, Petersham Trails, October Mountain, Pittsfield State Forest, Yokun Ridge-Lennox Mountain, The Deerfield Ridge (with North Sugarloaf)-just to name a few of the western, MA notables-Batchelor St's wonderful trail system (and it is wonderful) doesn't serve up the same kind of sustained climbing (or descents for that matter).

That said, B-street is truly awesome and worth riding by anyone who visits (or lives in) the Pioneer Valley! It's certainly 'hilly enough', and a real workout for just about any level mountain rider who wants to push it!

mtbr member
    What Superb said! I'm in eastern Ma and when we make a road trip out west now, B street is always the top of the list for bang for the buck. I've ridden most of the places you listed and there's some very good stuff, but if he's looking for 2 days worth of riding, combining Earl's and B street gives you tons of options. Also, all you really need to do is show up in the main parking area for each spot and you can't go wrong. Some of those other areas, I'd argue, could wind up putting you on a lot of double track while looking for the good stuff. So for a guy from out of state to see the best trails in the area my vote is by far B Street/Earls. That being said, it sounds like Petersham is great but I've never ridden it. Looking forward to checking it out this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

generous offers and info

thanks for all the info guys. Better than a lot of misleading stuff I culled off the net. Hado_pv, thanks for the kind offer... we may take you up in it! Still planning the trip.

Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Some other great Trails in VT are: Waterburry(Perry Hill), www.fotwheel.org/ trails check out hinseburge town forest and carse hills, Pine hill in Rutland, Millstone Hill in Barre, and Mount Ascutney area. Also lots of trails in the Mad river valley (Sugarbush area). All of these are closer that the Kingdom. IMO many are all equal in trail quality to the kingdom and some provide more diverse trails. I just saw your interest in climbing, although may not be Colorado standards Perry Hill has the most climbing of the above mentioned, beginning with a long climb and a few good climbs mixed in
    Last edited by murph62903; 05-14-2010 at 11:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Now that I've gotten great advice on trails (I think we'll try for Wendell) can anyone recommend lodging in the area and, more importantly, where I can rent a bike?? I've called about 5 stores in the area and nobody rents bikes or can give me a lead on one (except for one that rents 29ers but is closed Sunday when I'll be arriving). My brother-in-law is coming up from Naragansset (sp!?) and we can't find a rental in RI either. What gives? thanks.

Chris

mtbr member
    The places I know that rent/demo are Landrys, Milford, and Southbridge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcrawford
    Now that I've gotten great advice on trails (I think we'll try for Wendell) can anyone recommend lodging in the area and, more importantly, where I can rent a bike?? I've called about 5 stores in the area and nobody rents bikes or can give me a lead on one (except for one that rents 29ers but is closed Sunday when I'll be arriving). My brother-in-law is coming up from Naragansset (sp!?) and we can't find a rental in RI either. What gives? thanks.

Chris

Hado-Pv is a veritable bike store...PM him and ask to 'demo' one of his bikes.