Thread: Clubs/Teams

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Clubs/Teams

I live on the South Shore and am looking to joing a Club or team that has a focus on racing. I myself am new to the racing aspect and want to get my foot in the door.

Any advice?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    New as in first year? If so, I would personally fly solo to make sure racing is your thing and you can make the commitment to being part of a team. Even the most casual of teams will likely have some kind of minimum particpation they are looking for.
    I personally enjoy racing more when not part of a team.
    rise above

mtbr member
    I would suggest joining NEMBA and go for some rides with the Southeastern mass group.

Here is the link
    NEMBA: New England Mountain Bike Association - Southeast Mass NEMBA Chapter

I joined the greater boston group and went on a few rides, Here in Boston there were enough riders to have a fast and normal speed group. Try and ride with the fast group. While these guys are not racers (maybe some are), it could be a way to judge your overall fitness and meet some other riders.

mtbr member
    check out Bike Barn Racing in Whitman. great shop focused on racing of all types.They have a race team for road and mtn and also sponsor Baystate Triathlon team.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks i will! Iv also found Blue hills Cycle Club and NEMBA.....gotta do my homework

mtbr member
    The Cycle Lodge in Pembroke also has a racing team.

mtbr member
    Union Velo is Attleboro is also a good team with lots of great riders in both road, mountain and cyclocross. Awesome shop too.

mtbr member
    I'm not on a team, but my girlfriend and I race and know a good number of people so you can tag along with us if you'd like. I guess I unofficially race for wheelworks in Belmont, MA, but that's just because I work there and wear our shop jersey (so does my girlfriend) at races. We don't have an official Cross Country race team but I'm considering making one happen.
    A team certainly isn't necessary and I raced solo last year which worked just fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It really Depends on what you are really looking for. Its best to find a team or club that in spirit and mentality fits you. I enjoy riding with the gentlement out of the Spark shop in Taunton on open rides for comradeship and no man left behind. They do good work for Homes for OurTroops. I ride for different shop in the memoey and in honor for a former training partner who can no longer physically race.