mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Charlemont Trail System in Outside Magazine

CTS got a little in love in the Destinations section of the June 2013 issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Whoa! Nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's worthy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    just read this in the latest issue...sounds killer. does anyone have halfway good advice on possible loops? i might be rolling through there after seeing Wilco and i had planned to bring my road bike out there for some long miles on that sunday...But if I can possibly figure out some sort of loop at this place without feeling like i'll be totally lost i'll bring my mtb instead!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most of the trail intersections are marked, and the map is pretty good (a few new trails missing on the South side) and available for sale at Zoar Outdoor, Berkshire East, Avery's Store and the Warfield House (do not try to use the free Warfield House/Valley View Farm Trail map - it is the roads only). Download the maps on your smart-phone from "Maprika" for real-time location.

The loop we did for the 3 hour option on the Whole Enchilada last fall started at Warfield House, took bridge road to high meadow road and up to the upper gate in the meadow at Riddell Road. From there we took No-Name trail to Skidder and a loop on Druid Ridge. After looping out there for a half hour we climbed back up Skidder all the way to the Game Trail (just up Riddell Rd from the gate). Rode over the shoulder of the hill on Game trail to Sweet 16 where we again shouldered the hill back to Riddell Road. We climbed Riddell Rd to Middle Loop Rd and took Red Zone and Rice Brook Trail back down to the bridge.

If you need more at this point, climb back up toward Warfield House (VVF) and when you hit the maple grove take the Zoar/Warfield Connector (white rectangle blazes) to TV Tower and then loop Lost, Get Smart and Happy Days.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    As someone who lives out here and does both I would suggest road bike. Tons of great riding, climbs, few cars and no traffic lights.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    perhaps road bike should be way to go. I assume things are really soupy in the trails? don't want to screw things up in there...or is it drier there than it's been around Boston? is riding off limits this weekend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    the woods are fine out here. Some mud but nothing serious. You wont be alone if you choose to MTB.