mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Charlemont Trail System 2014-and Plug for GReater Charlemont as a Weekend Place

I had a chance to ride these trails a few times this season and I wanted to throw it out there to the greater Massachusetts Mountain biking community that these trails have gotten better and better, AND, that the whole region is becoming a place worth visiting.

1. There are a number of great new trails along the climbing side of Berkshire East (and across the Top). Rigorous XC still describes most of the trails, but they really meander and play nicely with the striking River valley terrain.

2. Improvements and sweat equity abound throughout the system:
    a. On the Berkshire East Side: Dozens of corners have been reworked, Pulaskied and McCleoded. Many of the original trails have seen some back breaking benching

b. Zoar trails have probably seen the most striking hard work improvements (as these are carved into the most demanding terrain of the system, this makes sense). Ride the Zoar trails and, yes, you'll still find narrow and challenging ascents and descents, but also outrageously impressive bridges, rock work and general trail enhancements that celebrate both the truculent hard work of the local Zoar trail crew and the adventurous xc riding of the region

c. Warfield Trails have also gotten necessary, impressive bridges (especially on the Brook Trail), some needed benching and some reworked lines. Yep, Red Zone from the Top is still tricky old school single track experience (one I happen to appreciate and enjoy, but it is what it is), but There is Also the Sweet 16 trail. That is a trail I think embraces everything great about New England mountain bike riding and should appeal to a wide variety of game riders.

Finally I wanted to express the same sentiment I had when I first rode these trails 3.5 years ago. Gratitude! These trails are an amalgam of generously opened Private properties.

The owners of these properties have done more than merely 'allowed' biking, but along with some tireless volunteers, have put in real leadership, vision and work into making this a great region to Mountain bike.

So thanks to all, (Berkshire East Owners-Schaeffer Family, Zoar-Bruce Lessels, and The Other Owners of this Great Piece of the Valley).

OH-one more plug, Berkshire East and Zoar both run great and very different Zip-line operations, plus Zoar has rafting/ kayaking etc, AND Berkshire East will soon have it's very unique 'Mountain Coaster up and Running. All this, coupled with the extensive mountain biking at CTS and Hawley (or Nearby DAR) is turning this lovely little spot on rte 2 into one of the best multi-day destinations to visit for active travelers and their families. Road Biking is the best in Massachusetts as well as is the Hiking.

vermonter
    well said Liam! Great stuff indeed down there, i cant get there often enough! Hats off to Harold and the landowners that had the vision for this beautiful corner of Gods green earth. looking forward to the warwick inn reopening the restaurant for post ride burgers and beverages!
    Brattleboro/Keene NEMBA officer and trail hero!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Riding tonight from the Warfield House. Social pace, hour and a half riding time or so. Leaving promptly at 6:00 unless we know you'll be late. All welcome.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode this area for 1st time last weekend and was satisfyingly good. I tried starting at Warfield House but couldnt see where to start so went to Berkshire East and again didnt know where to start so I rode to Zoar parking lot and just entered the trail at the end .it took a few repeated passes on the same trail but found my out to great trails called Lost,Happy Days and Get Smart . Good riding. next time will look for Red zone and Billys world at BE.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dang,

As Superbman noticed the other day, there is a new extension of the cow-pasture down almost to the main Warfield Parking Area. Pass through the electric fence, then the new gate, closing both... Then you are on the main road to the trails. Either head left to The Zoar Warfield Connector or Happy Days, or right up to the High Meadow via Bridge Rd.

Berkshire East trail head is in the lower parking lot, follow signs to West Lodge, Moxie, Tubing parking area.

I love those TV Tower trails, so you didn't do too badly in the trails dept...
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv View Post
    Dang,

As Superbman noticed the other day, there is a new extension of the cow-pasture down almost to the main Warfield Parking Area. Pass through the electric fence, then the new gate, closing both... Then you are on the main road to the trails. Either head left to The Zoar Warfield Connector or Happy Days, or right up to the High Meadow via Bridge Rd.

Berkshire East trail head is in the lower parking lot, follow signs to West Lodge, Moxie, Tubing parking area.

I love those TV Tower trails, so you didn't do too badly in the trails dept...
    Thanks for info it will be helpful

mtbr member
    I rode a bit of the BE climbing side, and some of the bottom of Billy's World from the base last week. Very cool place, I'll definitely be back for more. Harold, is there another "Whole Enchilada" day scheduled for this year?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Whole Enchilada this year will be weekend of 9/20. A little earlier this year. Details to follow later this week as we iron some things out.

Harold
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv View Post
    Whole Enchilada this year will be weekend of 9/20. A little earlier this year. Details to follow later this week as we iron some things out.

Harold
    Thanks Harold. Could be a good warmup for the VT50 the following weekend.