mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Central MA Trails for Total Beginner?

Hi, everyone. Brand new to the forum, and mountain biking. I've been researching equipment for the past couple of months, and I'm planning to make my bike purchase this week.

I'm looking for some trails for a total beginner in the Worcester area. I've dug through the trail list, and some old posts in this section, but it seems like there are very few options for total newbies in this area. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    G&L

guru meditation
    Welcome!!! Woodsguy made a useful map and has graded trails by technical rating: Southern New England Mountain Bike Trails - Google Maps

I would try Rutland State Forest for starters. There are plenty of gravel and dirt fireroads and some slightly hidden but fun singletrack as well. It will be worth your while to drive down 146 and hit up some of the spots on that map, lots of good options for riding and learning some skills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the info! Just went and purchased my bike today, so I'll be trying some trails out starting this weekend. RSF will be my first stop!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's a bit of a drive, but Great Brook in Carlisle is a great beginner spot. It has lots of dirt double track with some easy single track branching off from it. Leominster State forest has lots dirt road for putting the miles down, but the single track is a bit chunky for a beginner.

I have no experience with them, but I hear good things about the Blackstone Valley chapter of NEMBA:
    Blackstone Valley NEMBA Home Page
    They even have a beginner group ride scheduled for the 25th.

Check out their "rides" page for a list of locations. Even if you don't wish to attend the group ride, google the name of the location where they're held. I don't know the trails since I've never been down that way, but I always see people mention the following places:
    - Rayburn, Millbury
    - Pisgah Trails, Northboro
    - Grafton Conservation Land, Grafton
    - Singletary Trails, Millbury

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, car_nut. My sister ended up picking up a hybrid when I went to pick up my bike (2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er) yesterday, and we did a 3ish mile section of the Wachusett Rail Trail (6 miles round trip). Going to explore a bit more this weekend.

mtbr member
    Along the Wachussett Rail Trail area there are some nice trails. Some are marked (Upper and Lower loop), others are somewhat hidden.
    Across the road, Trout Brook also offers some nice trails (a bit rockier, but lots of fun).