Thread: Central MA

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Central MA

Anyone here ride often in central MA? I have been exploring the area for close to a decade. Just recently bought a new bike and started getting back into biking. Have tried virtually every trail in Harvard and Bolton and there are certainly some gems but nothing jaw dropping. I know there are good trails in the area at leominster state forest and vietnam but I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences in Groton, Ayer, Stow, Boylston, Grafton, or Littleton.

mtbr member
    Grafton has Rayburn and the Conservation trails. And Millbury also has Rayburn and Singletary. There is also, Upton, Whitehall, Talbot, Pisgah, Callahan, Ashland, and Groton Town Forest. Check out my map below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Wow! Awesome map! That is going to make my spring and summer a WHOLE lot more enjoyable.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    There's way more (better) trails in Groton than the town forrest. Definitely worth exploring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    There's way more (better) trails in Groton than the town forrest. Definitely worth exploring.
    Let me know and I will check it out or at least put it on my map. Most of my map are places I've been to but there are several that are just suggestions from other people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just came across a list of quite a few trails in Groton on their trust website. GCT Navigation Bar

mtbr member
    Are all of those good for biking or have trails? Only a few have links and many of those look pretty small. The only ones that look like might have trails worth checking out are Skinner Forest and Throne Hill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah I'm not sure of how good each one is, just figured I'd post the link. I've found that a bunch of towns have similar "trust" websites that can be pretty good for getting a feel for what to expect.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I have maps on map my ride that show the good stuff. Go to the Groton Trails Network web page;they have a link to a map of the town thats a pretty good idea of what's there.

mtbr member
    I found a bunch of tracks on Garmin Connect. I will have to check them out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Definitely let us know if you find any gems, I'm compiling a list of my "must visits" for this upcoming spring.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I'd really like to check out B Street near Granby, Leominster SF, and a few others so when you go out to explore let me know I'll head out to find some gems too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Even the Groton Town Forest is fun, don't just disregard it! Great spot for the novice, to get some speed workouts in, or just to have a beautiful ride in the woods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Have you ridden around the Delaney Pond area in Stow? There are tons of trails out in the woods back there off of the "main" dirt roads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N3M0 View Post
    Have you ridden around the Delaney Pond area in Stow? There are tons of trails out in the woods back there off of the "main" dirt roads.
    I haven't fully explored there yet but I am aware of it. I will likely check it out this Spring. I am only slightly hesitant since I do tend to get bored quickly if the terrain is lacking speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yea, it's pretty flat for the most part back there. Only a few decent sections in the woods. If you're looking for speed try checking out some of the areas a little further west of Leominster. I've lived in Stow for 10 years and now live in Winchendon (near Gardner) and although I have been out of the sport for the past 7 years (now getting back into it) I am in the woods a lot and I've noticed quite a terrain change in this part of the state. Look around Hubbardston/Princeton/Phillipston. If you're looking for speed I'm sure you'd find it around there. The drive isn't too bad either, maybe 20-30 min outside of Leominster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Gardner's Pearly Brook will keep you busy. Loads of technical singletrack

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I rode a 13mile loop in Westminster for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Some of the best single track I have ridden. Very well designed trails. Pete

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by peterk123 View Post
    I rode a 13mile loop in Westminster for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Some of the best single track I have ridden. Very well designed trails. Pete
    Mind sharing where? I'm in Leominster and always looking for something new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd like to check that out too! Where exactly is it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I believe the area is referred to as Crocker Pond.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Any idea on an address?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peterk123 View Post
    Thanks Pete. Was that your group I talked to briefly at the Graffiti Bridge?

411 on the mtb trails in town is that, besides the MidState Trail, they are on either private property or on resident-only recreation area land. Please don't post any GPS/Strava/etc info; too much non-local traffic and we'll lose access. (This specially applies to the trails that run near Crocker Pond and along the river.)

That said, if any of you guys want a tour sometime and don't mind moving kinda slow, let me know; trails are right out my door, so I roll around out there quite a bit.

Thanks!
    Dennis