mtbr member

Celebrating the cyclocross bike

Hi all --

At the end of the summer I picked up a cyclocross bike for a decent price at the LBS. At the time I thought it might be fun to participate in some 'cross races to break up the monotony of indoor training and to force myself to do some high-intensity efforts this time of year. I have, indeed, raced some cross, and I'm loving the scene, the venues, and the friendly competition.

Far beyond all of that, though, I'm ecstatic at the versatility of these bicycles. I'd read what I regarded as hyperbole and cliche about 'cross bikes, but the reality is, in my view, even more compelling than the stories. The flexibility to do, say, twenty miles on asphalt, then jump onto dirt roads for twelve more, take that singletrack shortcut, get back on asphalt again, then take the back way home (whatever the "back way" may be) has completely changed my attitude about riding. Now, instead of dragging my feet before going out in the chilly weather for a training ride, I look forward to it. All those boring road loops that I do on the road bike can now be modified to include substantial time on dirt roads where the traffic is light and the views are terrific. Moreover, I've found that I can ride a lot of the local mountain bike trails as long as I don't expect to bomb through the rough sections.

As a result, I now think about riding in terms of loops that have just about equal parts (time-wise) road and off-road, and these rides are fresh and new even though they are composed of parts that are individually very familiar. Or when I head up to Vermont to ride with the Bennington crew, we can easily do four hours on the seemingly endless dirt roads up there without seeing more than two or three cars. I thought my friend Jon was nuts when he sold his road bike and instead bought a nice pair of spare wheels with slicks for pure road days on the 'cross bike, but now it doesn't seem so crazy.

There's no doubt that all of this can be achieved on just a mountain bike, and I'm often joined on these rides by friends who don't have 'cross bikes. I'm enough of a roadie, though, to crave the position and ethos of road bike riding (e.g., railing corners at high speed in the drops, paceline drills, town line sprints, climbing out of the saddle with hands on the hoods) that the 'cross bike affords.

Okay, end of sales pitch. Just wanted to share my giddy enthusiasm.

Cruzmissle

F Scandium
    This happens to be the only MA cyclocross thread so i'll give it a bump.

I'm going to be getting an IRO Rob Roy next month as my birthday present to myself turning 30.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    i couldn't agree with you more, cruzmissile. i bought a crosscheck about a month ago, and i can't get enough of it. i'm glad i went 'cross instead of pure road. i know i'd get bored really quickly with strictly asphalt routes.

the_dude

btw.....what shop did you buy your bike at, and what bike?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    I posted that effusive message a long time ago, so it's cool that the thread is active again.

I've been riding a Lemond Poprad that I got up at a shop over the border in Vermont. My real LBS is The Spoke in Williamstown which has recently gotten some decent coverage in the Velonews buyers guide and Bicycling magazine.

As I suggested in the original post, I raced it last fall in cross races around New England. I had a great time, as the 'cross racing scene is really friendly in spite of the maniacal and intense racing.

I continue to marvel at the versatility of these bikes. I don't really lament the fragmentation of the bicycling industry, since it has fostered growth and innovation. Indeed, I have a stable that includes several mountain bikes, road bikes, a folding bicycle, a campus beater, and a trials bike. But I do think that the it is a myth that you need a whole bunch of different bicycles. With the Lemond I've realized that I could do 95% of my riding -- pretty technical singletrack, fast training rides, long tours -- on one machine. With a switch of wheels/tires, I'm good to go witih whatever I do. It's the bike the I reach for first.

Cruzmissle

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzmissle
    With the Lemond I've realized that I could do 95% of my riding -- pretty technical singletrack, fast training rides, long tours -- on one machine.
    Cruzmissle
    i couldn't agree with you more. i've currently got mine setup as a commuter/weekend tourer/fireroad and singe track explorer. reading your post has got me thinking about racing cross this fall, most likely as a singlespeed. i love the ability to make a few simple changes or parts swap, and have the bike more than ready to take on the next challenge. thanks for the cool thread.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs