mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Carbuncle Pond in Oxford, MA (Xterra French River) - how gnarly?

Hi folks,

I just registered for the duathlon at the Xterra French River and I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding the bike course. It is to be held at the Carbuncle Pond area near the high school in Oxford, MA at the end of June.

Specifically, how gnarly and technical are the trails? I'd be interested in reading any other comments regarding this area as well.

I would prefer to ride my fully-rigid 29er (Redline D660) but if it's rough going, I could bring a full suspension Giant with 26" wheels.

I do hope to get up there some time in the next few weeks to see for myself but I would appreciate any local knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Never heard of it -- I was thinking this must be tied to Hodges Village in Oxford?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yes, the race runs through the Hodges Village Dam area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Have either of you ever ridden there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    No I haven't. But I'm doing the XTERRA there. Would appreciate any info about the trails. Race site has a topo, but that's only so helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 77speed View Post
    Have either of you ever ridden there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've ridden a lot of the trails at Hodges, but I guess there's some I've missed. I did most of it on a 26" HT, but enjoyed the ride a lot more on my FS. That being said, I'm no racer, so a 29" HT would probably go a lot faster.

Typical New England terrain, though, with lots of random roots and some rocks, but lots of smoother passages, too. There's a bit of variety there depending where you are, so it's hard to say without a trail map.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I haven't ridden there but am doing the Xterra race on Sunday. I asked the group on facebook for what the trails are like and they really stressed that they are FAST and a HT kind of course. They said there are a few punchy climbs and a couple bumpy/rocks/root sections that you rip through but overall expect fast and flowy. If you're a rider in the northeast, I don't think you'll have a problem with it.