Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cape Snow

mtbr member

Cape Snow

Anyone been out at Otis or ToT? looking for a snow report.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Not yet, but interested in heading down soon if we get some positive news on here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    id be interested to hear about pine hills or duxbury too

mtbr member
    Since I'm 3 miles from Duxbury, I'll speculate based on the conditions in my yard - the well-traveled areas will be a mix of hardpack, a bit of ice, and soft snow, and much of the singletrack will be untouched breakable crust and difficult to ride due to the up/down terrain. Probably ok to get in a short ride where it's gotten a good amount of foot traffic.

We rode Wompy again last night (I rode it solo during the storm Tuesday night), mostly on the roads, but a few areas of singletrack as well. The sled tracks were firm where the snow was thin, but soft in a lot of other places and it took a bit of skill and low air pressure to finesse it. Definitely a good workout. Untracked snow had a slight breakable crust, rideable on the flats or going downhill (I aired down my Pugsly tires pretty low). The others behind me were able to make it through as well, but they probably had a more difficult time with smaller tires. Here's the area we covered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    cool man, thanks a ton for the info!

mtbr member
    Hah! Cape snow!?

Come on down boys (and girls), the cape is good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Hah! Cape snow!?

Come on down boys (and girls), the cape is good to go.
    Great, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My buddy rode ToT this afternoon..His quote "Use a fender if it's your pleasure..Pretty muddy. Hose down bikes n' dog".

Still snow left in areas that aren't hit by direct sun at Otis as of 3:30pm. I work on the same property as some of the trails..Not 100% gone. I'll be out there tomorrow AM regardless

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pinehills is good to go. Same as above for the snow. Only a couple spots that are always shaded have snow. Place drains very well so mud is never a problem but the wet leaves and roots are very slick. Place doesn't see as much bike traffic so the fall leafs stick around a little longer.

mtbr member
    Rode 13 mile loop in Yarmouth today. Dry as a bone.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member

Cape Snow

ToT was good today, just a few muddy spots here and there. We rode mainly north of the power lines and west of Chase.

mtbr member
    FYI for anyone looking for trail conditions on the Cape. The local riders are doing their best to post all recent trail reports to the Cape Cod NEMBA Facebook Page. We are also using it to help organize trail days, meetings, and group rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    doesn't look good for snowless riding on the cape for awhile. did anyplace sneak by and not get blasted by this stupid storm? maybe nickerson?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    doesn't look good for snowless riding on the cape for awhile. did anyplace sneak by and not get blasted by this stupid storm? maybe nickerson?
    Based on weather reports, I would expect the entire cape to be under snow.

mtbr member
    I just drove from Falmouth to Sandwich and so far I see snow.

That's why I'm breaking out the skis. Hopefully its not too cold tonight. Or I'll have to ski faster.

mtbr member
    After yesterday's warm temps and rain, does anyone know how TOT or Otis looks. Is there still snow or icy conditions? I would be traveling from the Worcester area on my day off tomorrow to ride.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    Not sure if this helps but here's the current snow depth map. According to this, there shouldn't be much snow on the cape.

Cape Snow-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I also saw that snow depth chart and am contemplating a Thursday trip to Otis... Confirmation of no snow would be great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    in Plymouth which is pretty near by we have less than an inch of snow with less than 50% coverage. the small layer that is left is pretty hard packed and crunchy. it shouldn't slow you down like the slushy stuff does. not sure where you guys are from but if you can wait until the weekend when it is a little warmer i bet there won't be any snow left, and it should be in the 40's. i plan on going out on Saturday so I will try to report back.

mtbr member
    I live in Falmouth and haven't been out riding (but man did I love tossing on the skinnys), but from work (I was surveying in the woods yesterday) and just being here it looks rideable. I may or may not be joining some guys tonight, if we/they go I may have a better idea how Otis is. Also if anyone is planning on coming down, I'd likely be up for an Otis ride Saturday.

mtbr member
    Rode Otis last night, right off the bat hit some snow and was surprised. There were still pockets of snow deep enough to make you push the bike. It was definitely a grueling pedal in places. That being said I still was spinning for at least 80-90% of the time. The snow seemed to get worse the "deeper" into Otis you got, we didn't go all the way to the rotary. Also, amount of ice in spots. Was one of those sort of miserable rides (freaking cold too) but worth it. But, temps are suppose to increase so I doubt this stuff will be much of an issue moving forward.

mtbr member
    Not exactly MTB, but this will be a great event and on the Otis trails. Sadly it is the weekend of NEMBA's Northeast Summit.

Cape Cod Trail Race | Run Forward. Give back.

!snotrocket!

what cha'got?

Out here on the lower cape seems like 6"+. Kinda light and drifted in spots with a sub layer of crust maybe 1"? The 10 day forecast says this stuff is going to be here for awhile temp wise. The past few days we've been snowshoeing out at Nickerson. Got a couple good miles packed in out around the Ruth pond stuff out to freemans. Going out tomorrow in the am to see how it set up. I'll report back..
    So where are ya? How much did you get? anything rideable?
    coastin' along

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey Dan, how was it? Anything passable on a 29'er?

!snotrocket!
    Quote Originally Posted by the kraken View Post
    Hey Dan, how was it? Anything passable on a 29'er?
    Fat tires we're the way to go today, 38 compressed the snow to about 4" of mash potato. I'd say 90% of trails have seen some sort of traffic, snow shoes,xc skis, dog walkers so the trails are packed. It's snowing lightly right now and then supposed to freeze later and not get much above 20 tomorrow. As long as it cold enough I'm sure any tire size will work. Studs might be the way to go as it freezes up this week.
    coastin' along

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast