Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

cape epic ride coming soon...........

the cape cod off road 50 miler is coming soon for saturday july 24th. i've been doing this ride for years and have changed it up and revamped it here and there to offer the most singletrack and as little road as possible, although many riders look forward to the short road sections to recover from all of the miles of punchy singletrack climbs.

the ride may turn into a 75 miler depending on who shows up.

the ride includes connecting trail of tears, lowell holly, ryder, crane, otis, bourne town forest, greenbriar, rogers (thats me) heartbreakers with many old abandoned ancient roads and connectors thrown in for good measure.

if we do the 75 miler, we'll be connecting with sandypond, mattacheese, bushwood, hathaways pond (location of some of the 1st ever mountain bike races in new england held in the early 80's and sponsored by fat chance with miss phelan in attendance!), with all of the other stuff.

riders should be very fit (think expert racers or top sport racers (who should be racing expert you damn wussy sandbaggers

there will be places to refill camelbacks, or bottles for all of the shaven leg racer snobs who don't like to drink from hoses, whatever

make sure you have slime tubes or tubeless with slime as the cape is riddled with thorns, although i know where the little *****es are and will pick routes to avoid most. singlespeeds welcome, gears better, singlespeeds are so early 90's. if you show up with one gear, i'll make sure the gearies use our 44t rings just for fun, hehe, just messin.

a few of us are set to do it and i'd like to keep the group small-ish, like less than 10. don't underestimate this ride. many strong riders have quit early. it is NOT a race pace hammer fest, steady conversation pace with stops limited to refueling and waiting for mechanicals or slower/tired riders.

shoud be fun. haven't done this ride since my solo rainy day mission last thanksgiving.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    no maple swamp?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doro
    no maple swamp?
    not maple swamp proper, well, i guess we'll be skirting in it in heartbreaker land.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Any chance of a map of the course? I ride at a moderate pace but would like to challenge myself but dont' stand a chance of keeping up with faster riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayeddy
    Any chance of a map of the course? I ride at a moderate pace but would like to challenge myself but dont' stand a chance of keeping up with faster riders.
    no maps. some decisions/variations will be made while en route.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i will try to make it. I might be going north to float down the saco but if not i'm down.
    pm the details and i'll confirm. Sounds like a good time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i will try to make it. I might be going north to float down the saco but if not i'm down.
    pm the details and i'll confirm. Sounds like a good time.
    tis always a good ride! let's hope for good weather. more details as we get closer.

rog

MC MasterShake
    Would love to do a ride like this but Expert Rider level I am not. Wouldn't want people to wait for me. It'd be cool if someone GPS'd it. I'm assuming these are all well known trails.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

parental discretion is advised

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Would love to do a ride like this but Expert Rider level I am not. Wouldn't want people to wait for me. It'd be cool if someone GPS'd it. I'm assuming these are all well known trails.
    i only use "expert level" cuz it's a long day with a lot more vert gain than most could imagine. it can be just as hard or harder than doing the same vert in the mountains as you never really get to rest on the down hills. there's a reason why sooo many elite cyclists. come from the cape, short punchy climbs with no rest and hella headwinds. long climbs are easy as they give you a chance to settle in, or in singlespeed speak, "run" which is oftentimes faster and more efficient than grinding out the granny on a geared bike. i remember racing the jay challenge in 2005 pushing 2 to 1 causing me to run the whole way up jay with my bike on my shoulder. started in like 80th and crested the top in 8th. a guy asked me what was wrong with my bike as i ran by, i pointed at my rear freewheel and he replied, "holy $hit, you are nuts!" well the next 60 miles went about like that. pardon my sidetracking here

anyway, no, a bunch of the trails are not known, are not on maps, are on private property, like peoples back yards and private ways. seeing it on gps would be neat though. we do hit some asphalt to connect things, the longest section being the cape cod canal rail trail which is nice as the hardest climbing comes at the end in sandwich. sandwich is a kick in the nuts if done properly

did a nice little ride at pu$$ywillowdale last night with a few friends. what flow! like riding kingdom trails without the long drive and all of the annoying signage and trail junctions every 20 feet.

long live long dirt rides

rog

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    i only use "expert level" cuz it's a long day with a lot more vert gain than most could imagine. it can be just as hard or harder than doing the same vert in the mountains as you never really get to rest on the down hills. there's a reason why sooo many elite cyclists. come from the cape, short punchy climbs with no rest and hella headwinds. long climbs are easy as they give you a chance to settle in, or in singlespeed speak, "run" which is oftentimes faster and more efficient than grinding out the granny on a geared bike. i remember racing the jay challenge in 2005 pushing 2 to 1 causing me to run the whole way up jay with my bike on my shoulder. started in like 80th and crested the top in 8th. a guy asked me what was wrong with my bike as i ran by, i pointed at my rear freewheel and he replied, "holy $hit, you are nuts!" well the next 60 miles went about like that. pardon my sidetracking here

anyway, no, a bunch of the trails are not known, are not on maps, are on private property, like peoples back yards and private ways. seeing it on gps would be neat though. we do hit some asphalt to connect things, the longest section being the cape cod canal rail trail which is nice as the hardest climbing comes at the end in sandwich. sandwich is a kick in the nuts if done properly

did a nice little ride at pu$$ywillowdale last night with a few friends. what flow! like riding kingdom trails without the long drive and all of the annoying signage and trail junctions every 20 feet.

long live long dirt rides

rog
    Hmmm? When you put it like that it sounds more interesting. Most of my riding is like that but only more technical. I ride mostly the techy Boston North Shore trails with a pretty fast crew. I have ridden Otis a bunch of times and if the rest of the trails are mostly like that I'll have no problem handling the terrain and should be ok with the distance. I'd only be concerned about the pace. I do ride a geared bike but I'm never in granny, even on the longest of climbs. It's hard for me to determine how I compare pace-wise because my main bike is a 36 lb. free-ride-ish bike that I use for pretty much everything except races, I have a 4x4 XC race machine for that.

I know what you're saying about those long climbs like the ones on the VT50 being pretty easy as you just sit and spin for awhile. That's actually pretty boring me but I consider them a necessary evil. Nothing better than a steep technical climb that challenges your body and your brain.

So if you don't mind could you include me in the details? I'm not sure if I can do it yet but it will give me a goal to train for.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    woodyak I really can not see you having a problem hanging with THIS group or ANY group, go ride it and have a blast.... . May just have to come check it out myself, I've lost OVER 50lbs in the past two months, I just might be up for this......CF.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

not a race

not race pace, just long and steady. will keep you both posted.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

a few confirmed riders so far

by the looks of the few confirmed riders so far, we may add in yarannis stuff as well to make it on the longer side. 70+ish miles. probably 8am start from sandy pond in yarmouth.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

sunday, not saturday

ride is now on sunday starting at 7am from trail of tears which will give us 50+ miles of riding.

c'mon finn, you in?

rog

mtbr member
    Rog - 7AM on Sunday just might work for me. I'll let you know. It may depend on what the wife wants in return for bailing on her and the boy for half the day!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    heading north. next time around. too bad b/c this is my backyard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

up north

heading north. next time around. too bad b/c this is my backyard.
    i'll be riding 4-6 hours in north conway tomorrow, 3-4 hours sat, then the cape epic sunday.
    will you be in n-con? i have a torture fest ride set aside for myself tomorrow. a real body shocker and spirit breaker

sunday cape ride will be so great. finn, you better be there.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

success!

55 miles, 5 hours, tons o one track. hot as fahk, legs er tired.

more here, scroll down: Cape Cod new to MTB

next!

tour de valley, mt washington valley epic 60+ miler next sunday. anyone? bigger climbs than cape epic, but no harder. well, the 1st hour long climb is a kick in the nuts, but at least theres a huge down to rest on.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    you guys were going pretty good for the heat. that is a little over a 10mph average right? how many miles of road where in there. i need to get in better shape i guess if i want to do something like that. i am glad you guys didn't pass me a otis i would have been embarassed if i was on mile 10 and you guys were on mile 40 passing me like i was tied to a tree.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

moving

Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    you guys were going pretty good for the heat. that is a little over a 10mph average right? how many miles of road where in there. i need to get in better shape i guess if i want to do something like that. i am glad you guys didn't pass me a otis i would have been embarassed if i was on mile 10 and you guys were on mile 40 passing me like i was tied to a tree.
    pedaling time was about 4.5 hours. so we averaged 12 or so. other than 5 miles of the canal rail trail there were another 8 or so of road. you can cut some of the road out by doing other variations, but this variation flows better and allows more/better singletrack to be added. trust me, especially on a day like today, the paved sections are a nice break.

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm heading to the Cape and would love for someone to show me some of the local trails. Much better than following a map. Any takers for a ride on August 1st or 2nd or .....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bysmom
    I'm heading to the Cape and would love for someone to show me some of the local trails. Much better than following a map. Any takers for a ride on August 1st or 2nd or .....
    There are a few group rides during the week. In what town will you be staying?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    55 miles, 5 hours, tons o one track. hot as fahk, legs er tired.

more here, scroll down: Cape Cod new to MTB

next!

tour de valley, mt washington valley epic 60+ miler next sunday. anyone? bigger climbs than cape epic, but no harder. well, the 1st hour long climb is a kick in the nuts, but at least theres a huge down to rest on.

rog
    I'm heading up Friday early....gonna help the gang with some trail maintrnance and ride of course. Not sure about the epic on Sunday per say.....I know what I like to ride so I've pretty much got my own route planned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'll be all over, visiting old friends and family. Where I live we have some organized rides that meet regardless so its just a show up and ride. Wondering if there was any of that. It seems my plans keep changing by the minute.

mtbr member
    Yep
    - there are group rides at Trail of Tears in West Barnstable at 5PM on Weds and Fri. Leave from lot at Race Lane/Farmersville Road (google it).
    - Nickerson State Park in Brewster, Tuesday night at 5:30 from Fisherman's Landing.
    - Yarmouth trails, thurs night at 5:30 from IFAW parking lot at 290 Summer St (corner of Summer and Willow, just off exit 7).
    Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast