mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cape Cod: Where to ride

Hi all,

I am leaving for Cape Cod this week and am looking for a few good spots to ride. I will be staying in Eastham. Really i am looking for a few good road loops, because they will be a bit more convenient. Plus i dont wanna be farting around in the woods not knowing were im going. I would appreciate your help!

Thanks
    Fred

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    You can get on the Cape Cod rail trail in Eastham and take it north or west to Dennis. More info:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/ccrt.htm

- Chris

mtbr member
    I am leaving for Cape Cod this week and am looking for a few good spots to ride. I will be staying in Eastham...

Thanks
    Fred[/QUOTE]

Hi Fred

My family has a home in Eastham right off the Orleans Rotary. To get to Eastham you must go through this rotary and once there you are really only seconds from the town of Eastham. Anyway, if you go into Orleans which is an exit off this Rotary and continue straight on this road it will take you into the center of Orleans. At about a mile or so you will come to a light with a CVS and a gas station on the opposite corners make a right at this light. About a quarter mile or less down the road on the right is a bike shop (right next to it is a pretty cool sports memorabilia store, look for green shake shingles). If you want go into the bike shop and ask for routes, but you can very easily jump on the paved trail that crosses the street by the bike shop.This trail is perfectly flat and all paved good for kids or if you want to just get out. By no means challenging It runs a good length of the cape. In fact i believe they just extended it. Have fun and good luck. If you have any questions about the area pm me food etc

best
    matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by d-town-3

Hi Fred

My family has a home in Eastham right off the Orleans Rotary. To get to Eastham you must go through this rotary and once there you are really only seconds from the town of Eastham. Anyway, if you go into Orleans which is an exit off this Rotary and continue straight on this road it will take you into the center of Orleans. At about a mile or so you will come to a light with a CVS and a gas station on the opposite corners make a right at this light. About a quarter mile or less down the road on the right is a bike shop (right next to it is a pretty cool sports memorabilia store, look for green shake shingles). If you want go into the bike shop and ask for routes, but you can very easily jump on the paved trail that crosses the street by the bike shop.This trail is perfectly flat and all paved good for kids or if you want to just get out. By no means challenging It runs a good length of the cape. In fact i believe they just extended it. Have fun and good luck. If you have any questions about the area pm me food etc

best
    matt
    Thanks matt!

Im pretty sure i know where you are talking about. This is my 4th year up there so i am pretty familiar with the area. The GFs family has been going for years. I just have not ridden up there. I have mapped out a few routes that go up and down the cape. I am debating now if i want ride the entire cape. That will take a bit more planning.

Ill get back to you with any questions. Take care

Fred

mtbr member
    A ride up to P-town/Truro is always nice. I lived in Brewster for 15 years and would do that ride a couple times a month. Rt 6 can be kinda nasty but just watch your back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    don't get near the cape cod rail trail unless your'e slow and clueless like many of the people, they are not bicyclists, on it. stay away!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Nickerson State Park

If you are anywhere near Brewster, check out Nickerson State Park. Definately the best riding on Cape Cod, and rarely used.

There is a paved bike path, right off the Rail trail, and a ton of single-track, fire roads, paths running around Cliff, Little Cliff, and Higgins ponds.

Also, great, clean, ponds to stop for a rest and a swim during your travels

Here's a map of their roads, paths, bike, bridle paths and fire roads
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/nickerson600.gif