mtbr member

Cape Cod Trails: A list...

With winter approaching, I'd like to assemble a complete list of Cape Cod Trails. They're the trails most likely to be snow free and "rideable" throughout the dark months.

The trails I know of:

Otis
    Trail of Tears
    Willow Street
    Nickerson
    Brewster Forest

Plus - Not quite on the Cape but close:

Pine Hills

So what other trails am I missing? Please post!! (especially anything past Orleans)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

wellefleet trails

FOUND THIS LITTLE GEM WHEN I WAS LIVING IN EAST ORLEANS ,PARK AT DUCK POND CROSS ROAD . TRAIL ONRIGHT WILD ROLLING HILLOCKS NOT TECH HAD FUN RODE 12miles hit that bakery after mmmmm better than punkhorn imo

mtbr member
    There are a set of trails called the Gauntlet that are pretty good, I've only ridden them on the fatbike, but they're definitely rideable with a regular MTB.

They might be the "wellefleet" trails MENTIONED ABOVE but I don't know as I'm having AHARD TIMEINTERPRETING the above post.

Other southern NE trails that often escape snow are Abrams Rock/Village Park in Swansea (definitely worth checking out) and we're in the process of clearing and buffing the trails just south of Freetown state forest. Been calling them the Copicut trails and they aren't moto'd out as badly as the usual freetown trails.

Abrams
    Abrams

Info about the copicut trails in this thread
    Anyone ride Freetown State Forest?
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    After riding Willow St, cross the street and there are miles of trails called "Yarmouth". Bill Boles of NEMBA knows more.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Shawme-Crowell, ride it 2-3 times a week - easy stuff, but nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
    Shawme-Crowell, ride it 2-3 times a week - easy stuff, but nice.
    I've only ridden there once. How long a ride can you put together there?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think they say about 10 miles of trails, but I don't know...I usually ride 1-2 hours and I'm slow and old ;-)
    Last edited by two-rocks; 10-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ride at Shawme Crowell every November when my buddies and I go camping there. The trails are much different than what I'm used to in Central CT, but it's super fun! Some nice twisty singletrack in there, with a few good short uphills/descents, but it is mostly flat. Not very technical, and maybe 10-15 miles of total trails. Trails are very well marked as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Had to be 10 yrs ago or more, but hooked up with an employee at Brewster bike on Underpass Rd, and we did a ride that left the shop, went up the road and into miles and miles of trails that eventually hooked up with trails at Nickerson. Maybe these are well known now?

Tom

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    anybody got a ride they did at tot mapped out. i have been three 5 or 6 times and didn't really find it interesting which makes me think i wasn't in the right spot. plus i always hear people recommend tot instead of otis which i really like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    anybody got a ride they did at tot mapped out. i have been three 5 or 6 times and didn't really find it interesting which makes me think i wasn't in the right spot. plus i always hear people recommend tot instead of otis which i really like.
    Many may disagree, but I'm with you, been to TOT a few times and just think it pales compared to Otis. Plus I pretty much have to drive by Otis to get to TOT, so that seals the deal.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    If I had a choice, I'd take Otis over TOT, mainly because it's more technical. But TOT is great also, more for just hammering.
    There's a review of TOT somewhere online which said something like "I rode it by myself and found it kind of easy and boring. Then I rode it with a group and had to just keep my head down and hammer. I realized that TOT is really fun if you ride it really fast." That's how it is for me too. Plus Sandwich side is more challenging than anything at Otis or TOT/Barnstable side.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Small loop about 4-5 miles at pocasset town forest in bourne off of barlows landing road before otis. Boy scout map available online. Used to ride it 20 years ago. Believe the area is four ponds. Good quickie ride.