Thread: Cape Cod trails

mtbr member

Cape Cod trails

Has anyone done any of the trails in the cape cod area? Me and my fiancÚ did one that was just outside of northern eastham and it was amazing! We didn't expect to get to the water necessarily, but somehow got off the trail a local told us about and ended up right on top of a huge cliff looking out to the ocean. Sooo nice!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was recently in Truro and found some nice trails between Longnook rd and the old air station. Some brutish climbs, nice twisty flowy stuff and really nice end of trail cliff view. Only gripe would be that the Singletrack is limited and all the stretches are connected by the dreaded soft-sand fire roads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Some of the best stuff is "the gauntlet" in south welfleet. Goes north a fair ways and includes gems like "little china". When I was young and dumb, ok I"m still dumb, I'd leave my house in centerville and connect trails all the way to north welfleet and back. 80 miles or so. So much stuff from town to town!

rog

mtbr member
    Both sound great. Thanks guys. I'm hoping to make another trip at the end of summer. I just love it there!

mtbr member

Re: Cape Cod trails

What trail is that one on route 151? Right at the corner of the ramp to route 28. Im from Marboro and have been working in Cotuit for five weeks and saw a lot of what seems to be trail heads along route 151 towards mashpee commons. What about Mashpee national wild life refuge? Would love to go there on a sunday to explore. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiago7 View Post
    What trail is that one on route 151? Right at the corner of the ramp to route 28. Im from Marboro and have been working in Cotuit for five weeks and saw a lot of what seems to be trail heads along route 151 towards mashpee commons. What about Mashpee national wild life refuge? Would love to go there on a sunday to explore. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

that entrance near the ramp is the otis stuff. if you go in there you can also head into mashpee and eventually trail o tears in barnstable by connecting a ton of trails through more than multiple conservation areas and ancient ways. we used to do a 50 mile off road loop that started and ended at tot that looped over to and thru otis, up through bourne town forest, and back through all of the sandwich back to tot.

used to crush guys that would come down from the mountains. they thought they were strong climbers/riders, but were beat after a thousand little steep hills over and over and over for 5-6 hours of riding

rog

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Every Summer I am re-shocked by the copious climbing at the cape.

How do the Wellfleet trails stack up with the other Cape riding areas? After years of only riding Nickerson, ToT, and Otis on my cape visits, I finally found and figured out the Yarmouth/ Rte 6 trails (with the boy scout camp section..which took some hunting and pecking to find I might add) last year and kicked mysql for not hunting out those trails sooner (awesome place to ride, though shuttling my dog across very busy roads was a bit of a drag).

I'd love to set up shop on the outer cape, and finding a good source of single track in well fleet is the icing on the cape, as it were.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    Every Summer I am re-shocked by the copious climbing at the cape.

How do the Wellfleet trails stack up with the other Cape riding areas? After years of only riding Nickerson, ToT, and Otis on my cape visits, I finally found and figured out the Yarmouth/ Rte 6 trails (with the boy scout camp section..which took some hunting and pecking to find I might add) last year and kicked mysql for not hunting out those trails sooner (awesome place to ride, though shuttling my dog across very busy roads was a bit of a drag).

I'd love to set up shop on the outer cape, and finding a good source of single track in well fleet is the icing on the cape, as it were.
    eastham/welfleet/truro area is enchanting fer sure and you can ride stuff between rte 6 and the ocean all the way up pretty much from coast guard beach. the trails are a bit tighter, twistier in some areas, sometimes more sandy, and overall less techy. there are some brutal climbs tho. straight up/down

a fatbike would be key up there for the mix of fire lanes/single track, and beach road riding.

rog

mtbr member
    Just watch out in the National seashore. I don't exactly know where the boundaries are, but there could be some issues this summer.

National Seashore to fat bike owners: Fat chance | CapeCodOnline.com
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd watch out as Icecreamjay said. There was some hubbub on the book about it recently.

Also, as far as Cape being a hiddem gem, I rode 25 miles on Chappaquiddick this weekend. With over 600 feet of climbing. Not terrible for a spit of sand, off of a spit of sand, off of a spit of sand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    love it!^^^^^^^

i'll be surfing/riding on MV for 6 days starting friday

rog

mtbr member
    Rog, sounds f-ing fantastic. Trying to find time to balance riding with water rec, seeing as I can't climb on Cape and I am by the ocean. Trying to get my hands on a used SUP board to tool around with. Wish I knew how to surf.

The lady is on the vineyard, growing intimate with the trails there. The fattie will be a blast I bet, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Rog, sounds f-ing fantastic. Trying to find time to balance riding with water rec, seeing as I can't climb on Cape and I am by the ocean. Trying to get my hands on a used SUP board to tool around with. Wish I knew how to surf.

The lady is on the vineyard, growing intimate with the trails there. The fattie will be a blast I bet, enjoy!
    sweet! living in york i'm lucky to have good year round surf just one mile down the dirt road from my driveway and hours and hours of great mtb trails starting less than a mile in the other direction. bliss

if you wouldn't mind, could you pm me some leads/starting points for trail areas on the vinyard?

thanx!

rog

mtbr member
    This page has links to some good Cape riding. Cape Cod | NEMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu View Post
    This page has links to some good Cape riding. Cape Cod | NEMBA
    thank you, but i know the cape stuff from the canal to p-town better than most. headed to the vinyard where i've only ridden road/dirt road.

rog

mtbr member

Re: Cape Cod trails

Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    that entrance near the ramp is the otis stuff. if you go in there you can also head into mashpee and eventually trail o tears in barnstable by connecting a ton of trails through more than multiple conservation areas and ancient ways. we used to do a 50 mile off road loop that and ended at tot that looped over to and thru otis, up through bourne town forest, and back through all of the sandwich back to tot.

used to crush guys that would come down from the mountains. they thought they were strong climbers/riders, but were beat after a thousand little steep hills over and over and over for 5-6 hours of riding

rog
    Thanks for the info. That 50 mile lop should be interesting.
    Will try to go to Otis this sunday morning if I don't attend the weeping willow race in ipswich, MA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Left vinyard haven on the fatty this afternoon headed towards west chop and within minutes found super sweet single track to miles of power lines and duo track. Then headed west on state road towards west tisbury. Took a random right into the woods and found the mother load of sweet flow singletrack connecting many trail networks. 2 hours of riding with no agenda or clue/beta of what I'd find. Just lefts/rights. The way riding should be. God bless fat bikes

rog

mtbr member
    Do you have a Strava track for that ride?

Enjoy the surfing. :-)

mtbr member
    Hey Jeff, check my Strava. My rides that I described over there are up. Also, grab an MV Land Bank map if you ever go over and want to ride. All their stuff is open to bikes. I'll be over there more this summer and exploring!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu View Post
    Do you have a Strava track for that ride?

Enjoy the surfing. :-)
    No strava or gps. My old flip phone is of no help. I've basically just been glancing at the land bank website over coffee in the am before going exploring. Was too lazy to pick up a map. Took my lovely bride out for a nice loop today after a morning surf. She absolutely loved the mix of terrain we rode.

Can't wait to explore further east. Maybe in the am

rog