Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cape Cod Snow Report?

Any chance that it's ridable in Cape Cod? I got a new toy and need to ride it somewhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This may or may not help you. But I was at Wompatuck in Hingham today and it is rideable. Biggest issues being low branches that are weighed down with ice and some deep puddles. Plan on riding their New Years Day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBoy View Post
    This may or may not help you. But I was at Wompatuck in Hingham today and it is rideable. Biggest issues being low branches that are weighed down with ice and some deep puddles. Plan on riding their New Years Day.
    Rideable without a fat bike? How many inches on the ground? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Good info on Wompatuck. I'm guessing Cape Cod is good to go then. I believe they were only supposed to get an inch or so of snow so was going to try and head out there today, but it's a bit late now...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I live a couple miles from Trail of Tears, and we got about 2" of snow/sleet frozen crap accumulation. It was frozen solid this morning, but now is a soggy heavy mess.

I also work by Otis, and was out there plowing this morning..It was more like 4" of snow there.

Both areas are covered with low hanging/broken branches from the heavy snow that froze overnight. I would say hang on for a day or two and then with some cooler temps the trails will be firm and better to ride.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Oh man... This is so hard. I added a Tallboy to the garage yesterday and just want to ride the living snot out of it. I really want to try and get out somewhere tomorrow. Looks like Wompatuck is leading the way...

mtbr member
    Talked to my neighbor in Dennis and they didn't get much. That means Nickerson should be good or maybe Willow St. TOT sounds bad.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Oh man... This is so hard. I added a Tallboy to the garage yesterday and just want to ride the living snot out of it. I really want to try and get out somewhere tomorrow. Looks like Wompatuck is leading the way...
    I feel your pain..I waited a month for my Tallboy carbon frame (it was during the mid-season design update) and when it came I started to assemble it as soon as I got home from work..Sure enough the SECOND I got it done, the skies opened up and it had to be the worst thunder/lightning storm of the summer at my house...

It was killing me sitting in the living room staring at it so I said screw it, called in from work the next morning and rode it first thing.

-Gabe

customized
    Sep 2003
    Please everyone... keep us posted. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    Rideable without a fat bike? How many inches on the ground? Thanks!
    In the woods an inch of crunchy stuff at most. Maybe up to two on the open fields. I will post an update after my ride on Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Awesome...Thanks!

!snotrocket!

Nickerson state park

we got a rain snow rain combo out here and now it's got a good freeze on it. I went out this afternoon and rode most of the trails and I'd say there is a inch or two of frozen crud every where. some spots were better than others, the stuff on the interior of the park was the best. the trails that just got bike traffic was a little sketchy. ridable yes, ripable not so much. good luck!
    coastin' along

mtbr member
    I rode Landlocked forest today and, while fun spinning around all over the place, it wasn't really ready for mountain bikes yet (unless you have a fat bike, then please, get up there and do your work!)

mtbr member
    rode Massasoit today, there was some fluffy stuff but for most part very ride able
    i shot video..( for whatever reason it wont let you watch from a mobile device)

NYE Massasoit Ride 12.31.12 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksousa81 View Post
    rode Massasoit today, there was some fluffy stuff but for most part very ride able
    i shot video..( for whatever reason it wont let you watch from a mobile device)

NYE Massasoit Ride 12.31.12 - YouTube
    It is the music. Using any copyright music stops the video from being able to be played on a mobile device on you tube.

Nice video!

John

mtbr member
    I'm planning on giving Wompy a shot today... Sounds like that's the best bet and by looking at the log at the weather history here: Hingham, Massachusetts, United States Past Weather Observations for 3 Days Ago

It appears that there was less than an inch of total accumulation so I'm hoping the conditions there are better than here closer to boston...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just got home from a ride at ToT...Biggest problem is the amount of limbs/trees/shrubs/thorns still covered in ice hanging or broken all over the trails. Made many of the areas not worth riding. Once the temps dip under freezing and everything hardens up, it won't be worth riding at all because of the amount of ice covering the trails..I'm praying for a quick thaw....

The clear sections were fine, especially with the softened up snow/ice from today's blistering 35deg warm up.

mtbr member
    Noooooooooooooooooooo! I'm totally trapped up here in NH with white stuff I'm going color blind. We wont have any riding till the snow gets hard and crusty on hiking trails. I was going to come down and ride Otis next week. Hope it melt soon. Pretty Please!!!! thanks for the up date

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I thought the trails were pretty good. I've ridden much worse. You are so right about the

branches and twigs. They almost ripped my derailleur off but bent something instead which was good but the ghost shifting was driving me craZy mad.

no no you want the ice because ice is actually faster and easier to ride on than mushy snow, with studs.

mtbr member
    Wompatuck wasn't too bad today. I'm working on a quick blog post with the report but I'd say it was pretty ridable, but be prepared to have a really dirty bike...

And the trail report: Riding in a Wompy Wonderland
    Last edited by dirtdan; 01-01-2013 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Any new news on conditions at Otis? Coming from CT and hoping to ride there tomorrow.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmk999 View Post
    Any new news on conditions at Otis? Coming from CT and hoping to ride there tomorrow.
    I rode TOT's yesterday, which is very close to Otis, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. The biggest problem yesterday was the parts of the trails that still had 1-2" of snow was very hard to ride since it was warm and slushy. I rode about 90-95% of a 10-12 mile loop there. I wouldn't expect Otis to be dry but the snow shouldn't stop your ride by any means.

mtbr member
    I rode TOT today. It was a combination of ice, snow, mud, and dirt.
    Had a fat bike so nothing was a problem. 8.5 miles of fun.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rode ToT today as well...A wetsuit bottom would have been nice. Did a little over 12, battery started getting low on the headlamp and had to turn in.

mtbr member
    That is some sweet ride!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast