Cape Cod Snow Report?

Printable View

  • 12-30-2012
    dirtdan
    Cape Cod Snow Report?
    Any chance that it's ridable in Cape Cod? I got a new toy and need to ride it somewhere. :)
  • 12-30-2012
    SHowley2003
    This may or may not help you. But I was at Wompatuck in Hingham today and it is rideable. Biggest issues being low branches that are weighed down with ice and some deep puddles. Plan on riding their New Years Day.
  • 12-30-2012
    JSumner13
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BostonBoy View Post
    This may or may not help you. But I was at Wompatuck in Hingham today and it is rideable. Biggest issues being low branches that are weighed down with ice and some deep puddles. Plan on riding their New Years Day.

    Rideable without a fat bike? How many inches on the ground? Thanks!
  • 12-30-2012
    dirtdan
    Good info on Wompatuck. I'm guessing Cape Cod is good to go then. I believe they were only supposed to get an inch or so of snow so was going to try and head out there today, but it's a bit late now...
  • 12-30-2012
    Gabriel J
    I live a couple miles from Trail of Tears, and we got about 2" of snow/sleet frozen crap accumulation. It was frozen solid this morning, but now is a soggy heavy mess.

    I also work by Otis, and was out there plowing this morning..It was more like 4" of snow there.

    Both areas are covered with low hanging/broken branches from the heavy snow that froze overnight. I would say hang on for a day or two and then with some cooler temps the trails will be firm and better to ride.

    -Gabe
  • 12-30-2012
    dirtdan
    Oh man... This is so hard. I added a Tallboy to the garage yesterday and just want to ride the living snot out of it. I really want to try and get out somewhere tomorrow. Looks like Wompatuck is leading the way...
  • 12-30-2012
    thecanoe
    Talked to my neighbor in Dennis and they didn't get much. That means Nickerson should be good or maybe Willow St. TOT sounds bad.
  • 12-30-2012
    Gabriel J
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Oh man... This is so hard. I added a Tallboy to the garage yesterday and just want to ride the living snot out of it. I really want to try and get out somewhere tomorrow. Looks like Wompatuck is leading the way...

    I feel your pain..I waited a month for my Tallboy carbon frame (it was during the mid-season design update) and when it came I started to assemble it as soon as I got home from work..Sure enough the SECOND I got it done, the skies opened up and it had to be the worst thunder/lightning storm of the summer at my house...

    It was killing me sitting in the living room staring at it so I said screw it, called in from work the next morning and rode it first thing.

    -Gabe
  • 12-30-2012
    Severum
    Please everyone... keep us posted. Thanks.
  • 12-30-2012
    SHowley2003
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    Rideable without a fat bike? How many inches on the ground? Thanks!

    In the woods an inch of crunchy stuff at most. Maybe up to two on the open fields. I will post an update after my ride on Tuesday.
  • 12-30-2012
    JSumner13
    Awesome...Thanks!
  • 12-31-2012
    rottendan
    Nickerson state park
    we got a rain snow rain combo out here and now it's got a good freeze on it. I went out this afternoon and rode most of the trails and I'd say there is a inch or two of frozen crud every where. some spots were better than others, the stuff on the interior of the park was the best. the trails that just got bike traffic was a little sketchy. ridable yes, ripable not so much. good luck!
  • 12-31-2012
    dirtdan
    I rode Landlocked forest today and, while fun spinning around all over the place, it wasn't really ready for mountain bikes yet (unless you have a fat bike, then please, get up there and do your work!)
  • 12-31-2012
    Ksousa81
    rode Massasoit today, there was some fluffy stuff but for most part very ride able
    i shot video..( for whatever reason it wont let you watch from a mobile device)

    NYE Massasoit Ride 12.31.12 - YouTube
  • 01-01-2013
    Nocando10
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ksousa81 View Post
    rode Massasoit today, there was some fluffy stuff but for most part very ride able
    i shot video..( for whatever reason it wont let you watch from a mobile device)

    NYE Massasoit Ride 12.31.12 - YouTube

    It is the music. Using any copyright music stops the video from being able to be played on a mobile device on you tube.

    Nice video!

    John
  • 01-01-2013
    dirtdan
    I'm planning on giving Wompy a shot today... Sounds like that's the best bet and by looking at the log at the weather history here: Hingham, Massachusetts, United States Past Weather Observations for 3 Days Ago

    It appears that there was less than an inch of total accumulation so I'm hoping the conditions there are better than here closer to boston...
  • 01-01-2013
    Gabriel J
    Just got home from a ride at ToT...Biggest problem is the amount of limbs/trees/shrubs/thorns still covered in ice hanging or broken all over the trails. Made many of the areas not worth riding. Once the temps dip under freezing and everything hardens up, it won't be worth riding at all because of the amount of ice covering the trails..I'm praying for a quick thaw....

    The clear sections were fine, especially with the softened up snow/ice from today's blistering 35deg warm up.

  • 01-01-2013
    vice grips
    Noooooooooooooooooooo! I'm totally trapped up here in NH with white stuff I'm going color blind. We wont have any riding till the snow gets hard and crusty on hiking trails. I was going to come down and ride Otis next week. Hope it melt soon. Pretty Please!!!! thanks for the up date
  • 01-01-2013
    dang
    I thought the trails were pretty good. I've ridden much worse. You are so right about the

    branches and twigs. They almost ripped my derailleur off but bent something instead which was good but the ghost shifting was driving me craZy mad.

    no no you want the ice because ice is actually faster and easier to ride on than mushy snow, with studs.
  • 01-01-2013
    dirtdan
    Wompatuck wasn't too bad today. I'm working on a quick blog post with the report but I'd say it was pretty ridable, but be prepared to have a really dirty bike...



    And the trail report: Riding in a Wompy Wonderland
  • 01-05-2013
    jmk999
    Any new news on conditions at Otis? Coming from CT and hoping to ride there tomorrow.
  • 01-06-2013
    gnar602
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jmk999 View Post
    Any new news on conditions at Otis? Coming from CT and hoping to ride there tomorrow.

    I rode TOT's yesterday, which is very close to Otis, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. The biggest problem yesterday was the parts of the trails that still had 1-2" of snow was very hard to ride since it was warm and slushy. I rode about 90-95% of a 10-12 mile loop there. I wouldn't expect Otis to be dry but the snow shouldn't stop your ride by any means.
  • 01-09-2013
    thecanoe
    I rode TOT today. It was a combination of ice, snow, mud, and dirt.
    Had a fat bike so nothing was a problem. 8.5 miles of fun.
  • 01-09-2013
    Gabriel J
    Rode ToT today as well...A wetsuit bottom would have been nice. Did a little over 12, battery started getting low on the headlamp and had to turn in.

  • 01-10-2013
    Thatsbullshark
    That is some sweet ride!
  • 01-11-2013
    vice grips
    Thanks for all the updates. I was going to hit up Otis this sat or sun. Just wondering if I will be riding on dirt, snow, ice, mud?

    Also it seems like most peps are riding TOT more than Otis? I'm coming down from the snowy mountains with my 150mm bike to ride on some dirt. Is the TOT better than Otis? I've been to Otis a bunch over the years(I still get a little lost every time) never TOT.Or is there a better place to hit up. If I have the time I hope to ride sat and sun and I'm looking for around a 3 hour tour.
    Thanks again every body
  • 01-11-2013
    thecanoe
    TOT had only 50% dirt when I rode it 2 days ago. Lots of packed snow and ice, with wet areas. The higher elevation trails were better. Don't expect typical winter conditions. I'd imagine Otis is the same.
    I thing you'd do better at either side on Willow St, exit7
  • 01-11-2013
    dirtyjack
    Wompy is just about 100% dirt on the trails. There's some ice on the paved roads, but a couple more days of warm will melt that too.

    Anyone have a recent update on Otis? My understanding is that Otis got 4" to ToT's 2" in the storm. Might take longer to clear.
  • 01-11-2013
    Gabriel J
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Thanks for all the updates. I was going to hit up Otis this sat or sun. Just wondering if I will be riding on dirt, snow, ice, mud?

    Also it seems like most peps are riding TOT more than Otis? I'm coming down from the snowy mountains with my 150mm bike to ride on some dirt. Is the TOT better than Otis? I've been to Otis a bunch over the years(I still get a little lost every time) never TOT.Or is there a better place to hit up. If I have the time I hope to ride sat and sun and I'm looking for around a 3 hour tour.
    Thanks again every body

    I think if you brought a 150mm travel bike out to ToT you'd end up disappointed. It's more of a rolling fast XC area with virtually no man-made obstacles (if that's your thing..Otis is the place) and Willow St. is virtually flat. . I rode ToT about 3hrs ago and it was still a mix of snow/ice/puddles/mud and completely dry areas. I would say watch the weather and if we get a decent amount of rain it might be best to hold off. I'm hoping to ride Wompy or Otis Sunday depending on weather and my riding buddies' schedules. Fingers crossed

    -Gabe
  • 01-11-2013
    SofaKing Fast
    Dirty jack,
    How do you think Wompy will look early AM?
  • 01-12-2013
    dirtyjack
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    Dirty jack,
    How do you think Wompy will look early AM?

    I'm guessing you were asking about this morning. I'm thinking the low spots that had frozen puddles will be wet spots, the roots will be wet from the rain, but that's typical Wompy. They don't call it sWompy for nothing. But you can still get a good ride in, and I don't think you'd be doing any trail damage since it's pretty bony in there.
  • 01-12-2013
    vice grips
    Hay Jack, it seems like your a Wompy expert, I've never been. The reviews of the trails on mtbr are from a long time ago. Can you give me a quick run down of the trails, what and how much is there?
    Your brother from the north.
    vice
  • 01-12-2013
    dirtyjack
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay Jack, it seems like your a Wompy expert, I've never been. The reviews of the trails on mtbr are from a long time ago. Can you give me a quick run down of the trails, what and how much is there?
    Your brother from the north.
    vice

    That's a tough assignment, there's so many trails. To give you a sense of size, the Landmine race is 25 miles long and doesn't repeat any loops. Much of the trails, while technically singletrack, are fairly wide, but it makes up for that with rocks and roots. There's some good technical spots sprinkled throughout the park, boulders, short nasty rocky climbs/descents, etc.

    There's a good map here.

    There are some jumps and stunts in the area between NW9 and NW13 if that's your thing.

    The only real climbs are on Prospect Hill (S4) and Mount Hope (MH3)

    The park is riddled with paved roads from it's history as a munitions depot. You have to link the trails together by riding the roads a bit here and there.
    Here's my GPS tracks from the 2010 Landmine course.

    We park at the visitor center parking lot on the right. The gate just after that lot is locked at dusk, but we've never had a problem getting locked in if you park at the visitor center, and we ride there a lot at night.
  • 01-17-2013
    vice grips
    Hay guys, how did you guys make out with that last bit of warm weather, up here in NH we lost most of our snow. Went for a hike up in the White Mountains and there was a lot of areas that had no snow. Not enough to ride but close. But we just got 4 inches last night. You guys must be snow/ice free? Hoping this weekend I can come down.
    thanks vice
  • 01-17-2013
    dirtyjack
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay guys, how did you guys make out with that last bit of warm weather, up here in NH we lost most of our snow. Went for a hike up in the White Mountains and there was a lot of areas that had no snow. Not enough to ride but close. But we just got 4 inches last night. You guys must be snow/ice free? Hoping this weekend I can come down.
    thanks vice

    I'm in Duxbury, we got about an inch yesterday over bare ground and it's just about all melted, with today's high of 43 it should be completely snow/ice free before the cold weather moves in tonight.
  • 01-17-2013
    vice grips
    Thanks Jack, you da Man!
  • 01-18-2013
    dirtyjack
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Thanks Jack, you da Man!

    Looks like the Cape got 2-3" last night.

    We rode Wompy last night, while mostly bare, there was a lot of places with a half inch of wet snow that may linger as the cold has set in. Not enough to require studs IMO.
  • 01-18-2013
    vice grips
    Nooooooooooooooooo, I was heading down early tomorrow morning to ride Ottis sat and sun. Tomorrow seems like it will be in the 40s, hope it will melt that dam stuff. Thanks for letting me know, that would have sucked to drive 3 plus hours to ride that
  • 01-18-2013
    Gabriel J
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooo, I was heading down early tomorrow morning to ride Ottis sat and sun. Tomorrow seems like it will be in the 40s, hope it will melt that dam stuff. Thanks for letting me know, that would have sucked to drive 3 plus hours to ride that

    I work on the backside of the Otis trails and we got about 1" of snow. It looks like a warmup will be in order tomorrow, which could make for a wet ride, but the ground will be fairly firm as it never went past 25 deg today. I wouldn't let it discourage you, if you are driving from the north, it's unlikely any place has conditions this good.

    Trail of Tears or Willow St. may be another good option
  • 01-20-2013
    vice grips
    I made it down to Ottis today. It was 55 and the trails were in great shape wish I could have stayed for one more day. Looks like there's an other storm coming in. Hope it doesn't last to long.