Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cape Cod Snow Report?

5K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  vice grips 
#1 ·
Any chance that it's ridable in Cape Cod? I got a new toy and need to ride it somewhere. :)

#5 ·
I live a couple miles from Trail of Tears, and we got about 2" of snow/sleet frozen crap accumulation. It was frozen solid this morning, but now is a soggy heavy mess.

I also work by Otis, and was out there plowing this morning..It was more like 4" of snow there.

Both areas are covered with low hanging/broken branches from the heavy snow that froze overnight. I would say hang on for a day or two and then with some cooler temps the trails will be firm and better to ride.

-Gabe

#8 ·
I feel your pain..I waited a month for my Tallboy carbon frame (it was during the mid-season design update) and when it came I started to assemble it as soon as I got home from work..Sure enough the SECOND I got it done, the skies opened up and it had to be the worst thunder/lightning storm of the summer at my house...

It was killing me sitting in the living room staring at it so I said screw it, called in from work the next morning and rode it first thing.

-Gabe

#12 ·
Nickerson state park

we got a rain snow rain combo out here and now it's got a good freeze on it. I went out this afternoon and rode most of the trails and I'd say there is a inch or two of frozen crud every where. some spots were better than others, the stuff on the interior of the park was the best. the trails that just got bike traffic was a little sketchy. ridable yes, ripable not so much. good luck!

#16 ·
#17 ·
Just got home from a ride at ToT...Biggest problem is the amount of limbs/trees/shrubs/thorns still covered in ice hanging or broken all over the trails. Made many of the areas not worth riding. Once the temps dip under freezing and everything hardens up, it won't be worth riding at all because of the amount of ice covering the trails..I'm praying for a quick thaw....

The clear sections were fine, especially with the softened up snow/ice from today's blistering 35deg warm up.

#18 ·
Noooooooooooooooooooo! I'm totally trapped up here in NH with white stuff I'm going color blind. We wont have any riding till the snow gets hard and crusty on hiking trails. I was going to come down and ride Otis next week. Hope it melt soon. Pretty Please!!!! thanks for the up date

#19 ·
I thought the trails were pretty good. I've ridden much worse. You are so right about the

branches and twigs. They almost ripped my derailleur off but bent something instead which was good but the ghost shifting was driving me craZy mad.

no no you want the ice because ice is actually faster and easier to ride on than mushy snow, with studs.

#22 ·
I rode TOT's yesterday, which is very close to Otis, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. The biggest problem yesterday was the parts of the trails that still had 1-2" of snow was very hard to ride since it was warm and slushy. I rode about 90-95% of a 10-12 mile loop there. I wouldn't expect Otis to be dry but the snow shouldn't stop your ride by any means.

#26 ·
Thanks for all the updates. I was going to hit up Otis this sat or sun. Just wondering if I will be riding on dirt, snow, ice, mud?

Also it seems like most peps are riding TOT more than Otis? I'm coming down from the snowy mountains with my 150mm bike to ride on some dirt. Is the TOT better than Otis? I've been to Otis a bunch over the years(I still get a little lost every time) never TOT.Or is there a better place to hit up. If I have the time I hope to ride sat and sun and I'm looking for around a 3 hour tour.
Thanks again every body

#29 ·
Thanks for all the updates. I was going to hit up Otis this sat or sun. Just wondering if I will be riding on dirt, snow, ice, mud?

Also it seems like most peps are riding TOT more than Otis? I'm coming down from the snowy mountains with my 150mm bike to ride on some dirt. Is the TOT better than Otis? I've been to Otis a bunch over the years(I still get a little lost every time) never TOT.Or is there a better place to hit up. If I have the time I hope to ride sat and sun and I'm looking for around a 3 hour tour.
Thanks again every body
I think if you brought a 150mm travel bike out to ToT you'd end up disappointed. It's more of a rolling fast XC area with virtually no man-made obstacles (if that's your thing..Otis is the place) and Willow St. is virtually flat. . I rode ToT about 3hrs ago and it was still a mix of snow/ice/puddles/mud and completely dry areas. I would say watch the weather and if we get a decent amount of rain it might be best to hold off. I'm hoping to ride Wompy or Otis Sunday depending on weather and my riding buddies' schedules. Fingers crossed

-Gabe

#27 ·
TOT had only 50% dirt when I rode it 2 days ago. Lots of packed snow and ice, with wet areas. The higher elevation trails were better. Don't expect typical winter conditions. I'd imagine Otis is the same.
I thing you'd do better at either side on Willow St, exit7

#28 · (Edited)
Wompy is just about 100% dirt on the trails. There's some ice on the paved roads, but a couple more days of warm will melt that too.

Anyone have a recent update on Otis? My understanding is that Otis got 4" to ToT's 2" in the storm. Might take longer to clear.

#31 ·
I'm guessing you were asking about this morning. I'm thinking the low spots that had frozen puddles will be wet spots, the roots will be wet from the rain, but that's typical Wompy. They don't call it sWompy for nothing. But you can still get a good ride in, and I don't think you'd be doing any trail damage since it's pretty bony in there.

#32 ·
Hay Jack, it seems like your a Wompy expert, I've never been. The reviews of the trails on mtbr are from a long time ago. Can you give me a quick run down of the trails, what and how much is there?
Your brother from the north.
vice

#33 · (Edited)
That's a tough assignment, there's so many trails. To give you a sense of size, the Landmine race is 25 miles long and doesn't repeat any loops. Much of the trails, while technically singletrack, are fairly wide, but it makes up for that with rocks and roots. There's some good technical spots sprinkled throughout the park, boulders, short nasty rocky climbs/descents, etc.

There's a good map here.

There are some jumps and stunts in the area between NW9 and NW13 if that's your thing.

The only real climbs are on Prospect Hill (S4) and Mount Hope (MH3)

The park is riddled with paved roads from it's history as a munitions depot. You have to link the trails together by riding the roads a bit here and there.
Here's my GPS tracks from the 2010 Landmine course.

We park at the visitor center parking lot on the right. The gate just after that lot is locked at dusk, but we've never had a problem getting locked in if you park at the visitor center, and we ride there a lot at night.

#34 ·
Hay guys, how did you guys make out with that last bit of warm weather, up here in NH we lost most of our snow. Went for a hike up in the White Mountains and there was a lot of areas that had no snow. Not enough to ride but close. But we just got 4 inches last night. You guys must be snow/ice free? Hoping this weekend I can come down.
thanks vice

#35 ·
I'm in Duxbury, we got about an inch yesterday over bare ground and it's just about all melted, with today's high of 43 it should be completely snow/ice free before the cold weather moves in tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.