Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    761
    Thanks for all the updates. I was going to hit up Otis this sat or sun. Just wondering if I will be riding on dirt, snow, ice, mud?

    Also it seems like most peps are riding TOT more than Otis? I'm coming down from the snowy mountains with my 150mm bike to ride on some dirt. Is the TOT better than Otis? I've been to Otis a bunch over the years(I still get a little lost every time) never TOT.Or is there a better place to hit up. If I have the time I hope to ride sat and sun and I'm looking for around a 3 hour tour.
    Thanks again every body

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thecanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    584
    TOT had only 50% dirt when I rode it 2 days ago. Lots of packed snow and ice, with wet areas. The higher elevation trails were better. Don't expect typical winter conditions. I'd imagine Otis is the same.
    I thing you'd do better at either side on Willow St, exit7
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    796
    Wompy is just about 100% dirt on the trails. There's some ice on the paved roads, but a couple more days of warm will melt that too.

    Anyone have a recent update on Otis? My understanding is that Otis got 4" to ToT's 2" in the storm. Might take longer to clear.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Thanks for all the updates. I was going to hit up Otis this sat or sun. Just wondering if I will be riding on dirt, snow, ice, mud?

    Also it seems like most peps are riding TOT more than Otis? I'm coming down from the snowy mountains with my 150mm bike to ride on some dirt. Is the TOT better than Otis? I've been to Otis a bunch over the years(I still get a little lost every time) never TOT.Or is there a better place to hit up. If I have the time I hope to ride sat and sun and I'm looking for around a 3 hour tour.
    Thanks again every body
    I think if you brought a 150mm travel bike out to ToT you'd end up disappointed. It's more of a rolling fast XC area with virtually no man-made obstacles (if that's your thing..Otis is the place) and Willow St. is virtually flat. . I rode ToT about 3hrs ago and it was still a mix of snow/ice/puddles/mud and completely dry areas. I would say watch the weather and if we get a decent amount of rain it might be best to hold off. I'm hoping to ride Wompy or Otis Sunday depending on weather and my riding buddies' schedules. Fingers crossed

    -Gabe

  5. #30
    mtbr santa cruz member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    119
    Dirty jack,
    How do you think Wompy will look early AM?

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    Dirty jack,
    How do you think Wompy will look early AM?
    I'm guessing you were asking about this morning. I'm thinking the low spots that had frozen puddles will be wet spots, the roots will be wet from the rain, but that's typical Wompy. They don't call it sWompy for nothing. But you can still get a good ride in, and I don't think you'd be doing any trail damage since it's pretty bony in there.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    761
    Hay Jack, it seems like your a Wompy expert, I've never been. The reviews of the trails on mtbr are from a long time ago. Can you give me a quick run down of the trails, what and how much is there?
    Your brother from the north.
    vice

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay Jack, it seems like your a Wompy expert, I've never been. The reviews of the trails on mtbr are from a long time ago. Can you give me a quick run down of the trails, what and how much is there?
    Your brother from the north.
    vice
    That's a tough assignment, there's so many trails. To give you a sense of size, the Landmine race is 25 miles long and doesn't repeat any loops. Much of the trails, while technically singletrack, are fairly wide, but it makes up for that with rocks and roots. There's some good technical spots sprinkled throughout the park, boulders, short nasty rocky climbs/descents, etc.

    There's a good map here.

    There are some jumps and stunts in the area between NW9 and NW13 if that's your thing.

    The only real climbs are on Prospect Hill (S4) and Mount Hope (MH3)

    The park is riddled with paved roads from it's history as a munitions depot. You have to link the trails together by riding the roads a bit here and there.
    Here's my GPS tracks from the 2010 Landmine course.

    We park at the visitor center parking lot on the right. The gate just after that lot is locked at dusk, but we've never had a problem getting locked in if you park at the visitor center, and we ride there a lot at night.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    761
    Hay guys, how did you guys make out with that last bit of warm weather, up here in NH we lost most of our snow. Went for a hike up in the White Mountains and there was a lot of areas that had no snow. Not enough to ride but close. But we just got 4 inches last night. You guys must be snow/ice free? Hoping this weekend I can come down.
    thanks vice

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Hay guys, how did you guys make out with that last bit of warm weather, up here in NH we lost most of our snow. Went for a hike up in the White Mountains and there was a lot of areas that had no snow. Not enough to ride but close. But we just got 4 inches last night. You guys must be snow/ice free? Hoping this weekend I can come down.
    thanks vice
    I'm in Duxbury, we got about an inch yesterday over bare ground and it's just about all melted, with today's high of 43 it should be completely snow/ice free before the cold weather moves in tonight.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    761
    Thanks Jack, you da Man!

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Thanks Jack, you da Man!
    Looks like the Cape got 2-3" last night.

    We rode Wompy last night, while mostly bare, there was a lot of places with a half inch of wet snow that may linger as the cold has set in. Not enough to require studs IMO.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    761
    Nooooooooooooooooo, I was heading down early tomorrow morning to ride Ottis sat and sun. Tomorrow seems like it will be in the 40s, hope it will melt that dam stuff. Thanks for letting me know, that would have sucked to drive 3 plus hours to ride that

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooo, I was heading down early tomorrow morning to ride Ottis sat and sun. Tomorrow seems like it will be in the 40s, hope it will melt that dam stuff. Thanks for letting me know, that would have sucked to drive 3 plus hours to ride that
    I work on the backside of the Otis trails and we got about 1" of snow. It looks like a warmup will be in order tomorrow, which could make for a wet ride, but the ground will be fairly firm as it never went past 25 deg today. I wouldn't let it discourage you, if you are driving from the north, it's unlikely any place has conditions this good.

    Trail of Tears or Willow St. may be another good option

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    761
    I made it down to Ottis today. It was 55 and the trails were in great shape wish I could have stayed for one more day. Looks like there's an other storm coming in. Hope it doesn't last to long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •