Thread: Cape Cod riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Cape Cod riding

My wife and I will be headed to the Cape for a couple of days and our plan is to mtn bike a bunch. We're staying in Hyannis and heard the TOT area is good (found a map on line). Best just to head in and explore or is there a good route or direction folks would advise. Also any other suggestions for other 3 hr or so loops, prefer singletrack , signed/marked trails would be a bonus. Thanks! Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    TOT sounds like it will be your best bet. It's one of the only Cape riding spots that has decent trail signage. Pretty much every intersection has a marker to keep you going where you ant. You can find a map here:

http://www.capecodbikeguide.com/pdf/...l-of-Tears.pdf

There is a variety of trails ranging from fire roads to single track with a few decent hill but its mostly burst climbing. I always enjoy the exploring part of riding a new trail but if you give me an idea of what you're looking for in a ride (miles, lots of hills, flatter, roots, rocks, etc) I could suggest a loop for you.

If you're interested in other areas then I would also look here:

Cape Cod Mountain Biking | Bike Shop | Cape Cod Sea Sports

That's a pretty good breakdown of the trails on Cape with a few maps. Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the info!! We pretty much like anything hills, singletrack and flow are all good. We're from the Berkshires so we're pretty used to rocks, roots and climbing. Thinking perhaps a 15 mile loop. Is there a section that is a must not miss or one that isn't worth it/ We'll def do TOT one day. Appreciate any loop you'd advise. Thanks-Mike

mtbr member
    Here's a good route. Start at Race Lane. Try to overlay this over the Trail map.

Cape Cod riding-image.jpg
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok I will do my best using the Trail Markers on the Map (usually we go by names we have for the trails).

Instead of a loop I will give you specific trails sections not to miss and you can ride them in the order you'd prefer.

Canoe's mapp above hits a lot of the spots I suggest but look to sometimes be in a different direction.

Park at P1 on Race Lan/Farmersville road. It's where everyon tends to park the and the trail in is a fun, fast warm up and cool down.

P1-SW2-SW4-W5 brings you out at a big intersection of fireroad and singletrack

W11-W30 is known as "North Ridge". Fun cruise along the ridge with a few small climbs.

Between W30 and E5 is an unmarked turn which brings you to "Humpty Dumpty". It's bunch of packed down dirt mounds that's created a pseudo pump track that is fun.

E4 -E7 is good.

Pretty much everything north of the powerlines is fun and since the shooting range is closed you can completely ignore the signs about it.

Otis Atwood is a fun loop with some challenging climbs and fast downhill (section of map with OA on the trails markers). I always prefer to ride it counter clockwise.

Most Trails on the eastern side of the map tend to have more technical hills.

Have fun exploring and let me know when you're planning on riding. If I'm not still sick with this cold I'd be happy to show you around!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks guys-this looks great! Mike

mtbr member
    Here's another set of tracks, including the stuff across Chase Rd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'll be down on the cape for a weekend in mid-November. We'll be staying in Brewster, very close to Nickerson. Should I hit that, or go a little farther to TOT?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    nickerson has a lot more variety and beauty. TOT is kinda uni-dimensional. the danforth property at TOT does add some variety and a pleasant break from the redundancy tho. nickerson is gorgeous. pretty much impossible to link up a good ride and stay mostly on the good singletrack if you've never been there tho.

rog