mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Cape Cod Rail Trail + MTB

Hey,

I'm going to be camping around the rail trail area and was wondering if there's any mountain bike trails around there. I know about Nickerson (gonna be there) but are there any other places? Not going to have a car so I'm limited to riding there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was at nickerson on july 4th, great trails there, you might have to look around a bit. The rail trail is pretty fun, but keep going past wellfleet and hit up ocean view drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Are there any trails with lots of roots, rock, drops...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aridese
    Are there any trails with lots of roots, rock, drops...?
    Go the 6 extension section of the campground (6X), there is an open stone pavillion thing, behind that there are steep trails that go down to the beach of cliff pond. This was prob the most intense trail, i couldn't ride every trail down.

backwoods and backwards
    If it were me, I'd try and plan to boost a ride down to Otis or Trail of Tears before I got there. Nickerson isn't that big of a place and the railtrail is nice and all but isn't really anything like mtbiking.
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nickersons fun, and there are good trails in Welfleet by the ponds (you can drop in on the west side of ocian view I believe)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not that I've been in a few years, but I did a ton of riding a few years back up in Wellfleet, and some in Nickerson too. Nothing too hard in Nickerson from what I remember (but lots of fun), look for all the singletrack. Up in Wellfleet, take the CCRT to the end, and take a right on LeCount Hollow Road and then take Ocean View along, well, the ocean. Look for singletrack trails in to the woods, or take one of the fire roads. Alternatively, follow the powerlines (which will be sandy and hilly) and then take a right in to the woods on a singletrack or fire road and just follow your nose. There are tons of amazing, secluded ponds to find, lots of hills and trails. It's easy to get lost, but the Cape is only a couple miles wide here so follow your nose and you'll find civilization. Or the Atlantic.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aridese
    Hey,

I'm going to be camping around the rail trail area and was wondering if there's any mountain bike trails around there. I know about Nickerson (gonna be there) but are there any other places? Not going to have a car so I'm limited to riding there.
    Ya, I know the Cape MTB scene well...so I'll keep this to riding around Nick since your sure to ask, find, explore the Park yourself. There is some good riding in there, some build ups, a few logs and some rocks to jump, but they are far and few, so if you spot something, go back and do it, cause there is not much for that sort of thing, but there is some. Locals have done some work on the ST off the back part of the Park & around the ponds.

OK, after you have found your bearings, go to the back part of the Park from the entrance, look at the posted Park Maps (everywhere), find some ST and ride around the back part, then head to the "fireroad" which runs around the back part of the park. To follow these, Rt. 6 should be on your left & to your back, (you'll hear it), follow the fireroad to the only intersection which is a sand/dirt to gravel road, this will be a on your left. (BTW: the fire road can be loose sand, a lot of horses) Anyway, you will spot a left ST just before that left service road, like 50 feet, take that to the soccer fields-baseball fields, go through parking lot and take a right on paved road (i will put in Rd. name here later) Anyway, on your left you are now looking at Brewster State Forest, take the 2nd gated left, it is a gated dirt road, follow to end and take a left on the ST. There is like 8 or 10 good, fun miles in there, just explore. Also look at the trail reviews here "MA Brester State Park" it's small but fun.I think thre are reviews for the Punkhorns too

Also, instead of taking a right on ----? road, take a left, go over Rt. 6, stay straight until you see golf enter., take right in parking lot and head back to Rt.6, you can pick up some trails that go both directions along the hi-way. I perfer to take a left (west) and just keep riding, you'll go through some hi-way on-ramps, but just look out for the Mounties & you can pick up the trails usually straight on through. The Cape has old motoX trails that run along most of the hi-ways. DON'T cross Rt6 though, use the bridges. People DO get killed down here on bikes. Some building may require a little road riding, but at the back of these developments the trails are still there and new & used. For an little adventure, keep...keep going west along the trails until you hit the Rail Trail, take a right, cross the rail trail bridge and a place called the Punkhorns is on your left, again it's small but kind of fun, get back on the rail trail and you'll end up back at the Nickerson Rail Trail Enter. You can make this loop as big as you want, pick up a cheap folding road map and all this will make sense.

Bring at least 1 tube and/or a patch kit, I get a flats out that way a lot.

I agree that you should hit up ToT on the way down or back, it's exit 5 right off highway 6, Otis will be a pain to get to unless youv'e got the helm.

There are some bikes shops off the rail trail that can tell you where a lot of other stuff is located off the Rail trail itself, nothing technical or huge, but if you like to explore, you'll like the loop I gave you.

Have Fun! Buy that cheap fold-up road map...it will help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Nice! Thanks for the suggestions... I'm definitely going to have a lot to ride now