mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Cape Cod new to MTB

I am new to the whole MTB scene i recently purchased a jamis durango 1 and went for my first ride it was a lot of fun. The people I would normally ride with ride Trail of Tears and Mashpee woodlands and on occasion the trail off exit 7 but is there anything closer to the Yarmouth/Dennis area besides driving up to Brewster for Nickerson?

I am not looking for anything crazy just a decent (quick) ride that I could I fit into the middle of the week without having to deal with all the summer cape traffic. Maybe something not so publicly known.

mtbr member
    For Yarmouth area, there are the trails you've already done off exit 7, about 12 miles total.
    There are also the boy scout trails in and around Greenough boy scout area in YPort - 4 to5 miles total.
    There are also trails off Weir Rd/West Great Western in YPort - about 6-7 miles total, but a good workout if you push hard as some of it is pretty challenging, and not well known.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    FWIW,

I think the drive to brewster is worth it as I think the Nickerson trails, when you ride all of them, is the bestriding on the Cape (and the least celebrated).

I'm still always amazed at how much quality riding is squeezed into the wooded hills of the cape!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hyannis ponds is close by off mary dunn. some trails are blown out by dirt bikes but for the most part its good fun and an easy loop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Has anyone ridden the trails at the flax pond conservation area in Dennis off satucket rd right as you cross over into Dennis? I have walked my dog in there in the past and it seems like there are a tone of tiny trails that branch off of one main one.

UPDATE: Nothing special I thought there would be more there but there isn't.
    Last edited by Joedub917; 07-22-2010 at 05:21 PM.

the test dummy
    i found a small trail system in eastham right of the rail trail(i will gladly show it to you but its nothing much and its closer to orleans right by the bridge over 6)
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

The Punkhorns

If your close to Flax Pond just keep driving down Satucket (keep your speeds down to 5 over speed limit ) high PO area...anyway just keep going down Cape toward Brewster, about 5 miles or so, Take Right at Top of Hill, on RUN HILL RD just after after "Slow Zone". You will pass the TRANSFER STATION (Dump) on left, road narrows, & in about a mile small parking lot on left...the trail crisscrosses dirt fire roads so you can always bail...don't get frustrated if you get turned around a little (semi lost more than once) when I first tried it...it's quite a nice ride. I start by pond across the road and work it counter clockwise..when you pop out a fire road just keep looking for the trailheadheads...it's a little sand soft in areas but 98% good, fast, easy FUN!
    I ride there when I feel like chilling...some awesome fresh water swimming too...if you feel like riding there....try the "Rail Trail", take a left on Semour Rd (just look to your left by the beaches of Long Pond.

See ya out on Cape trails....TONS of Mtb

For the Punk a good ****-tty map http://www.cctrails.org/punkmap.htm...not much on there but its some help to navigate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Lots Of Littles Makes Alot!

the best way to ride all of the capes little nuggets is to link them all together in one longer epic ride as jim and i did today.

from exit 5 in barnstable we rode the south side trails of trail of tears to the big ring trail parking area off of farmersville road. we then rode a connector trails, cranberry bogs and ancient ways in the woods to get to lowell holly and ryder conservation areas in sandwich/mashpee. off of rte 130 we popped into the acushnet woodlands and via johns pond we rode single and 2 track through crane wildlife preserve (only saw 3 monkeys and a giraffe today) to the otis trails off of rte 151. rode a bunch of otis up to the rotary and hit up the old true wheels connector up to the bourne town forest and rode the beautiful pine tree trail (one of the best pieces of singletrack, 4 mile loop, of the whole ride!) then spun the road a bit up to the cape cod canal and cruised that up to sandwich center to greenbriar conservation area to the sandwich high school stuff to the sandwich hollows to mapleswamp, back to trail o tears, rode trail o tears back to exit 5 via more sweet 1 track.

55 miles, 5 hours of hot as ballz sweat fest riding. no, no gps and alot of the stuff is not on any maps. took me years of trial and error to put this loop together and i do do other variations of it. sometimes i do it from sandy pond in yarmouth for a longer ride including hyannis ponds, hathaways, and the jenkins area to tot.

a few of the old little connectors are way overgrown and i kept telling jim that i have to move back here to take care of it cuz no one else will.

you can also connect tons of $hit all of the way to pamet in truro giving you 80+ miles, but i haven't done that since like 1997 when i was younger and even more stupid.

ya, the cape pretty much rules as far as off road epics go. even after doing big rides in mt washington valley the past 2 days, todays ride here hurt just as good. we may not have the big climbs here, but we also don't get much rest here either like up north where every big down is a big rest.

only mechanical: blew the rear shock on my carbon scott spark while launching 3 successive 3 footers at otis. just locker out and rode the rest of the ride on my carbon hardtail

go explore, it's there! will probably do another one of these rides soon enough again when it isn't africa hot out.

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I went to the trails on w. Great western and they were nice. I didn't go for to long as my cardio sucks plus i rode my bike there. Is there hunting that goes on in there? If so when and do you guys still ride it? I have a high visability vest I can wear if I have to.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedub917
    I went to the trails on w. Great western and they were nice. I didn't go for to long as my cardio sucks plus i rode my bike there. Is there hunting that goes on in there? If so when and do you guys still ride it? I have a high visability vest I can wear if I have to.
    Yes & yes...never ever stop riding because of hunting seasons (there is tons of open hunting but it's mostly black powder & bow...however had shotgun bird-shot fall down on me like rain at ToT a day before Thanksgiving It's Only 1 or two weeks in fall that require some attention when beer cans can be found among the occasional Slug shells .

btw: most of the hunters tell me they like to go for a "walk" with their weapons...only one ahole at ToT has a problem w/MTBers and he got SHUTDOWN with his BS. Most are way cool...

Rog...u crack me up! been finding a lot of old stuff over the last 10 years down here off the beaten track & hardly ridden by anyone on anything anymore...& btw I do do some maintenance - you just won't see me
    Last edited by Wiz; 07-31-2010 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    nice write up rog. wish i could have joined you. next time for sure.

did my own 25 early in yarmouth this am, including "yarannis", boy scouts, great western trails (joedub - yes they hunt there, but by tree stand, so you won't ever see them. careful in the boy scout trails, though - lots of hunters in a relatively small area walking around - i'd recommend not riding there on saturdays during deer hunting season).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

still there, i think.

ya chris, keep trimming baby! oh, winter is coming!

finn, you were missed fer sure today, but glad you got a great ride in. you'da loved the pace. solid and steady. kept just enough in the tank to open it up a bit for the final tot jaunt.

next time.

rog

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks
    nice write up rog. wish i could have joined you. next time for sure.

did my own 25 early in yarmouth this am, including "yarannis", boy scouts, great western trails (joedub - yes they hunt there, but by tree stand, so you won't ever see them. careful in the boy scout trails, though - lots of hunters in a relatively small area walking around - i'd recommend not riding there on saturdays during deer hunting season).
    Funny, last time I was fortunate enough to run into the Finn out there, he was with riding w/SF & I was hauling a 13.5lb chainsaw, fuel and several beers on my back while doing a ride Time before, twas Yarmouth off May Dunn and all the stuff including Boys Scout loop your talking. Looks like the off-road motorcycles have been banned again...& thats a good thing, couldn't really mind them riding next to Rt6 to access they're other stuff, but one aswhipe gave me the finger and called me a "******"! Hope he is done...cause he started running all the other stuff in there, straightening it out and gutting out the climbs...got really bummed after all that care done out there, it will regain if the hoodlums stay off the ST

Stay cool boyz - chris

Rog...snow baby snow!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Ski The East

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz
    Rog...snow baby snow!
    i just can't imagine why anyone wuld want to ride a bike all winter in new england when you can do this: http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/mtw-pow/

yours truly skiing 15 inches of fresh ^ somewhere in the high presidentials this winter, where i spend most of my time from november till june.

god is our skiing good and most skiers think all of the good skiing is out west. pfft, same folks that think that all good mtb riding out here is in vermont........

winter cometh chris, wax em up!

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are there any regular group rides I can jump in with? What bike shop should I use if I need one?

mtbr member
    Chris! That was so funny when we saw you with the chainsaw - it was a bit like a frickin mt bike horror movie, but much respect for the trail work and for being able to haul the saw AND beers around. Good man!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just got back to riding mtb after about a ten year break. I started out riding some way overgrown stuff i Barnstable then spent about a month riding to and in the woods between Willow St and mary Dunn.

So today I decided to go back to TOT after like I said, ten years. All I can say is Wow! How that place has changed. I must applaud all of you guys for all of the trail work out there. I had no idea it had come so far. I could hear the guns popping off and saw only one group of riders and a funny and friendly old WB man with a dog way out there. It was a friggin beautiful night and ride.

Thanks for the trail work dudes.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

More Riding for JoeDub

Been riding thousands of miles down here, JoeDub...the big five rule (ToT, Otis, Yarmouth Sandwich & Nick) but the "Cape Cod trail Pathways" is your connector to it all. There is So So much riding to be had between these great places. Give the Punkhorns a try, it's close to you...& it's absolutely beautiful, easy & fast, remember to stop occasionally to smell the roses...over the last week saw Deer, hawks, turkey, coyote, fox...etc, plus a few snakes & ticks. And a hottie or two

Map shows outline only...plenty of other stuff, then hit fire road connector to long pond etc etc etc.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cape Cod new to MTB-dscn1280.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedub917 View Post
    I maintain a lot of the technical stuff on w.great western, awesome trails, I'm kinda sad that I can't get lost in there anymore hahaha can't wait for the summer, hope my wood bridges don't rot!

mtbr member