Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

cape cod bike shop

What is the best bike shop on cape cod? I'm talking overall having a good inventory, good prices, great mechanics, and most of all great customer service. I bought my bike from a shop on cape and will probably not buy another bike from them. So I am looking for a shop for future work and eventually bike upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thats laughable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I guess I am asking for to much.

usually cranky
    there are no good bike shops on cape cod. corner cycle on main street, falmouth, is probably the best of the worst.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Then where is the best shop closest to the cape?

the test dummy
    i like orleans cycles great selection of parts
    Last edited by insanitylevel9; 08-30-2010 at 02:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    there are no good bike shops on cape cod. corner cycle on main street, falmouth, is probably the best of the worst.
    were you riding in falmouth
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    just north of boston you have jra cycles right of 93 in medford.
    Great shop, can do and will do anything. I buy most parts online
    since its cheaper but when I need suspension rebuilt, brakes bled,
    or anything i cant do myself I always go there. And I live on the cape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I wonder if there is any money to be made by opening a good shop on cape.

mtbr member
    I here there is a really good shop in Plymouth. It sounded like they also sponsor a really good race team and the shop appeals to better riders. I don't recall the name...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

dissin the cape

there good and bad shops everywhere. the cape has good shops. there are also some bad ones. the reality is that many shops would rather cater to families and sell and service bikes under a grand. most folks on here just buy mail order and only occasionally will use a shop for certain repairs. i do now and have managed small shops where it wasnt worth having the tools and overhead for suspension work. i can just send it out for a better price for the customer, have it done right, quickly, make a few bucks on top while doing regular tune ups and such. some shops are known for certain work, and others cater to a different clientel. after many years inthe biz, id much rather deal with mom, pop, and the kids then one of us with a chip and a tude.

just sayin

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Cove cycle was good, I got a nice Kona there way back. Rog was da man at the shop, very friendly and helpful. Anyone remember Yarmouth Bike on Whites path? They had a nice BMX selection and a race track right up the street. I got me a panda frame there and some Tuff Wheel IIs, lots of parts.

I think it must be really hard to open and run a profitable bike shop with high end MTB parts down here nowadays. Actually, I think any type of retail is hard with the net available to everyone.

I do web work for a living and a guy in Wellfleet contacted me last winter about doing a web shop and just warehousing the parts down here without a store. It may have be a good route, but he never did it. People could combine picking up stuff down here with a Cape trail ride. Then again, sometimes it's good to separate hobbies and business completely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

cove cycle

funny ivan, i was going to mention cove. now THAT was one dialed in little shop. worked there for years. when steve shut her down after almost 30 years in the biz, i really thought about buying the name, but he just wanted to put her to rest.

we knew our market and knew it well. nothing high end and no real high end following, but we made money where it made the most sense for us and we did it like clockwork. customer service and 100% honesty was the rule. customer base was mostly families and that's how we liked it. we did have some hard core followers as well.

$hit! i gotta get to the shop now. weekly fort rock thursday night group ride at 5:45 for anyone interested. only a 2 hour drive from the cape

rog

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    were you riding in falmouth
    were or where? i ride at otis off 151. mostly.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by agabriel
    I here there is a really good shop in Plymouth. It sounded like they also sponsor a really good race team and the shop appeals to better riders. I don't recall the name...
    Serious cycles is A-OK
    http://www.seriouscycles.com

Plus +++, Plymouth Hills is across the street.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bike Zone - Hyannis
    http://capecodalist.cityvoter.com/bike-zone

M y Boyz!

edit: wtf, no idea why link did not work, sorry

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz
    Bike Zone - Hyannis
    http://capecodalist.cityvoter.com/bike-zone

M y Boyz!

edit: wtf, no idea why link did not work, sorry
    Not a huge fan they have next to no bikes.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    were or where? i ride at otis off 151. mostly.
    i still gotta make it there before summer ends
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Didn't you guys have some guitars for sale up on the wall at Cove too? I seem to remember plucking away one day while waiting for my bike.
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

guitars

Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    Didn't you guys have some guitars for sale up on the wall at Cove too? I seem to remember plucking away one day while waiting for my bike.
    yes we did! steve (owner) was way into guitars and building/fixing them and doug was an amazing guitarist. it was nice to have steve so excited about something new in the shop after just selling bikes for 30 years. it allowed doug and i to just focus and enjoy the bike side of things. man, i miss working there. the tuesday night yarmouth rides from sandy pond were soooooo great! we had a nice 19 or so mile loop that we did. steve walker (walker deck at tot) always showed and pushed the pace hard. i miss steve w in a big way. awesome dude. he's out there riding somewhere looking after all of us. meh.

rog

Nostralpicas
    Is that Doug the mechanic that is at Orleans cycle now?
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

doug, the man

Quote Originally Posted by tic tac
    Is that Doug the mechanic that is at Orleans cycle now?
    sure is. a local legend. gave trail of tears it's name and has dedicated his life to bicycles. loves to ride and live life simply, wonderfully. before i worked for he and steve he loaned me his first vista light set for my 1st ever night ride at punkhorn in brewster on a cold snowy winter evening. the lights sported a huge 10 watts!

learned a lot from that guy, not just about bikes.

rog

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow I was curious about Steve Walker, that deck is sweet. I like to stop there on my rides. Cool to hear those tid bits Rog.

mtbr member
    Yup, you guys lit me up out there a couple times in the Yarmouth woods, armed only w/ my vintage 10W Vista. I remember a few of those Hy Pond rides too. I still love it out there.
    I remember walking into Cove and seeing the guitars, and I think a banjo or 2, and thinking, "I may never leave this store!"
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mr walker

Quote Originally Posted by IJBCape
    Wow I was curious about Steve Walker, that deck is sweet. I like to stop there on my rides. Cool to hear those tid bits Rog.
    ya, fond tid bits are what it's all about. remember the red light ivan? the red light on the summit bus? i can hear troy singing it to this day. sims switchblade and kemper freestyle fahk man. those were the days. i like to think i'm still living the dream. 3 hour surf session this morning in perfect chest/head high danielle swell followed by a high pace, hot as ballz, 2 hour fort rock ride this afternoon. you gotta come ride up here my friend.

mr walker may have not been a hero to most, but he was a huge hero to me. always smiling or screaming his way up the craziest old climbs on his wicked light/stiff american comp lite hardtail with kooka cranks and manitou 4 fork. always ran ritchey alpha and omega bite tires and if you didn't, he'd show you why you should.

i remember one of those yarmouth rides. we were on the "wall" trail, and there's this insanely steep climb that no one had ever made, at least not that we knew of. anyway, one night he told us that he was gonna ride it........in his middle chainring. we were like, "ya right". but somehow i think we all knew he was gonna make it. we all approach the thing and ease up and walker starts just hammering on the pedals and screaming at the top of his lungs and before he stopped screaming, he got up past the crux, stopped in a track stand and had just enough power to get up over the top. we all just stood there in awe. the cool thing was is that walker had his off nights and on nights. one night he'd be way off the back, well, ok, maybe not way off, and other nights he'd be putting the hurt on.
    to see him make that climb made me so happy for him cuz you could tell how happy and proud he was to make that climb with us watching and prob the 1st one to do it. i tried that climb for years after that and after he left us in this life. it wan't till maybe 5 or 6 years ago while on my singlespeed indy ti 29er that i approached that thing, thought of him, hammered and carried those big wheels up that beast and finally made it. i got to the top, laid my bike down and wept in memory of steve as i do now writing this. sorry. no i'm not.

anyway, ya, tid bits, very important. remember and share.

we are all very fortunate to experience and share our passion for life, health, and the outdoors. live each day like it's yer last, steve sure did.

rog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast