Thread: Can I ride now?

over my head

Can I ride now?

4 straight days of rain. Cold nights ... with the snow almost gone in the woods do you think the ground is firm enough? I promise to walk the real low lying water spots...Pleeeease?

BM
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, I rode at Pine Hills today and conditions were great only encountered 1 puddle and no mud to be found anywhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bullymadison
    4 straight days of rain. Cold nights ... with the snow almost gone in the woods do you think the ground is firm enough? I promise to walk the real low lying water spots...Pleeeease?

BM
    Not sure where you are located, but I'd suggest staying off the trails in north-eastern MA. We had multiple inches of rain on ground that was frozen, but has now thawed out and still holding a lot of water. We have not had cold enough nights, we would need temperatures in the low 20's to refreeze the ground. Sorry to disappoint.

- Kirk

achiever
    I've been riding all winter and am actually looking forward to a bit of a break during mud season. I'm starting to do some running and will be finishing a roadish bike soon.

If you have to ask if it's ok, you probably know you shouldn't...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    "Holding the water" is pretty optimistic perspective...water is EVERYWHERE....wont be any riding in HP for a while unless we get an EXTENDED freeze...

over my head
    now?
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

Just a flesh wound

Now!

Quote Originally Posted by bullymadison
    now?

I'm going out in 45 minutes to Wompatuck. Should be nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nice. Glad to hear people are riding in early March. I'm doing my first ride of the season at Wompatuck today. I'm sure it will be muddy, but I've got faith most of the trails will be in good shape.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

Just a flesh wound

It was nice!

Yesterday was a good day out there. Mud and water in the usual places, some like molasses, but good nonetheless!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

quite good, actually

I'll agree with the Prophet...it was nice at Wompy yesterday.

I went to do al ong trail run, and bailing to the roads if too much mud. I was so suprised by the dryness of the ground underfoot. Yes, there was mud in all the usual spots...but would say that I saw very few ruts from bikes on the trails....and any bike seen was void of mud.....a good sign on responsible riding.

With the extended dry spell this week, the trails will ripen quickly.

Just a flesh wound

Hey Teach

Quote Originally Posted by Sci Teach
    I'll agree with the Prophet...it was nice at Wompy yesterday.

I went to do al ong trail run, and bailing to the roads if too much mud. I was so suprised by the dryness of the ground underfoot. Yes, there was mud in all the usual spots...but would say that I saw very few ruts from bikes on the trails....and any bike seen was void of mud.....a good sign on responsible riding.

With the extended dry spell this week, the trails will ripen quickly.
    The new trail by E15 was in great shape. Very dry. We did Prospect Hill to the big loop past the field where the races are and then over to the side by Cohasset and the reservoir and back to the main lot. GPS said 15 miles and it was all good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wompy was great today. It looks like there have been some faithful trail builders building a few features near the main parking lot. Trails are are mostly dry and riding great.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5