mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Callahan State Park

Hello All,

I am looking to ride Callahan this weekend and was hoping for some input on the trails there; trails to ride or avoid, routes/directions to ride certain trails, etc. Any info helps..

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    Hello All,

I am looking to ride Callahan this weekend and was hoping for some input on the trails there; trails to ride or avoid, routes/directions to ride certain trails, etc. Any info helps..
    It's pretty easy not to get too lost in there after about 3-4 visits and studying the map. If you park at Edmands road you will be right in the center of the north and south side. It pretty much goes like this- north tends to be more chunky and rocky, the south is very smooth. For Boston there is a good amount of climbing to be had in here.
    My typical route: Bike Ride Profile | Callahanx1.5 near Framingham | Times and Records | Strava
    Trails- Pipeline up to earthen dam around, coco ridge, pine cone, rocky road, red tail (cross edmands here to the north side), Red Tail, Pine Tree, Back Packer, Acorn, Bear Paw, back to Pine Tree, back to Red tail.

Trail Names: Callahan State Park trail map - callahan state park ma ? mappery

The only stuff that tends to be really overgrown here is the stuff right in the center of the south side, I usually just stick on the perimeter on that side since the middle is usually full of lots of dogs anyways. It's a fast ride compared to places like Lynn Woods.

Have fun, I'm in NH riding this weekend or I'd offer to give a tour.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    It's pretty easy not to get too lost in there after about 3-4 visits and studying the map. If you park at Edmands road you will be right in the center of the north and south side. It pretty much goes like this- north tends to be more chunky and rocky, the south is very smooth. For Boston there is a good amount of climbing to be had in here.
    My typical route: Bike Ride Profile | Callahanx1.5 near Framingham | Times and Records | Strava
    Trails- Pipeline up to earthen dam around, coco ridge, pine cone, rocky road, red tail (cross edmands here to the north side), Red Tail, Pine Tree, Back Packer, Acorn, Bear Paw, back to Pine Tree, back to Red tail.

Trail Names: Callahan State Park trail map - callahan state park ma ? mappery

The only stuff that tends to be really overgrown here is the stuff right in the center of the south side, I usually just stick on the perimeter on that side since the middle is usually full of lots of dogs anyways. It's a fast ride compared to places like Lynn Woods.

Have fun, I'm in NH riding this weekend or I'd offer to give a tour.
    Thank you. The hills are fine, I did 6k vertical this weekend in 45 miles of riding Is there much singletrack on the South side?

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Not a whole lot of single track in there. You'll find a few decent stretches here and there but most of the time you're on fire road type stuff. I'm looking to explore Mt. Pisgah some more, have you ever been over there? It's in Berlin, MA- not too far from Callahan. I think there's as much, if not more climbing there, and seems to be more singletrack than fire road but I've only gone once.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    On the weekends the south side of Callahan can get mobbed by people and dogs so be careful. The north side has some good climbs and there is some ok singletrack to be found. There are plenty of fireroads or doubletrack trails that can be fun to rip around on, and you will encounter plenty of roots and rocks. It is more scenic on the north side. The south side is fun for just riding fast on the outer loop.

Mt Pisgah is more challenging than Callahan. If you are going to drive all the way to Mt Pisgah you might as well just go to Vietnam. A lot more trails at Vietnam. Mt Pisgah is a decent place to check out though, I just don't think I'd want to ride it all of the time.

StartBiking!
    Jun 2006
    lstone84 here is my map from Callahan. Like others have said, not a ton of singletrack is there but some can be found. The North side, away from all the dog walkers, is the better side. Take a look at the map and feel free to download the GPX file to use while out there. Enjoy! Startbiking : Callahan State Park
    -jk
    startbiking - get out and ride!