locked - time out
    May 2005

New question here. Bring my ALL MOUNTAIN rigg to Pedros???

hi...are there rugged trails where i can enjoy my 6" bike?

I also have a 9" DH rigg i want to ride at Jiminy Peak, but am told its pretty tame, well compared to Diablo here in NJ.

As for the group rides, from the pics it looked like lots of hardtails and XC bikes, can i bring an all mountain 6" ride and have fun, logs, rocks, ledges(little ones?) or is it more fluid flowy stuff/mucho climbing thats more for a 4" bike?

I like my 4" bike but after 2 days, the other one is a bit more forgiving on the old joints.
    And a bit more fun on the right trail.

Is there any logic to bringing the DH bike?

MC MasterShake
    Hmmmm. That's a tough one. Jiminy Peak is very tame compared to other places. It does have a handful of stunts that would definitely require a DH bike but I felt the majority of the terrain rode better with an AM bike. My favorite trail actually goes down the backside of mountain to the campsite. It's a real fast semi-washed out fireroad that you can tear down

As far as the other terrain goes you could go either way. I rode it with my 6x6 and had no problems. There weren't any really nasty climbs that I could recall. An XC bike would definitely be faster on it though. It's probably more flow than tech.

If it were me I'd bring the AM and the XC bike.

locked - time out
    May 2005

how much is it gonna rain today and tomm? friday??

okay thats good advice:

XC bike no doubt if its dry...

but...How does the area ride if its wet? The weather calls for possible scattered thundershowers- does the DH section stay wet after rain? Rock or muddy clay?

has it been wet up there like it has been here in NJ? Its been so humid the mud isnt drying fast enough between showers.

Dry plan I'll I'm thinking XC bike + 6x6

Wet plan: 6" bike, lighter tires for the group rides if dry, or bigger rubber if its wet and DH bike since there is a lift after all and I cant really ride it up hill for more than a few hundred feet-just incase its raining and I want to enjoy the mudfest high speed going downhill in armor.

For someone who has never been there are there better areas to park and camp than others?
    thx

MC MasterShake
    Good point. It has been really wet here as well. I'm in the Boston area and our trails dry out super-quick but it's different in Western, MA. The last time I went it to Pedros it was very wet so the trails were incredibly slippery. I was actually shocked at how slippery it gets. I've ridden in the rain, sleet, snow in Boston and the Pedros trails seemed more slippery to me. The trails are a muddy clay, wet roots, mossy rock mix when it's wet and I don't think they shut down any trails after it rains so you get some pretty gnarly stuff going on.

Come to think of it your probably better off with your DH bike and some real sticky tires for the mountain and other stuff is kind of a toss up between the XC and AM bike. Either one will work. As far as camping goes it's different each year. Try and stay on highground as there is some swampy ground and it gets pretty bad if it rains at night. There are some families so you want to stay away from them if you plan on partying at all. No fires are allowed unless you bring your own grill/firepit kind of thing.

I like to ride my bike.
    Bring your 6 inch.

Then, it you feel it's too much, ride a demo 4 inch bike!
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

locked - time out
    May 2005
    thats what i did it was a great time. i took my DH bike to jiminy peak, it was mild DH but very steep. the dirtrag trail and vicios cycles trails were fun in the rain on my 6 bike and on the last day i rode a demo 4 incher cause it was dry and i was beat. if its dry next year I'll just bring my 4x5 with good tires

i'll be there next year too...