not actually bad :)

Boston info plz?

Hello,
    I will be in Boston (Burlington) Aug 16 week for some training.
    Hoping to get in at least a couple rides.
    Suggestions?

I am from Golden, CO (a west Denver suburb right at the base of the foothills).
    Basically a cross country rider, but I def, like some tech thrown in!
    Hard, easy - doen't matter just fun - looking for suggestions of some of the local favorites.

Any LBS to rent an MTB from?

Also, general site seeing and other things not to miss?
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    I grew up in Boston, moved away three years ago, and am moving back soon.

I can't comment on places to rent from... I'm sure there's places.

I don't do much trail riding in that part of the state, but I can give you suggestions on places to ride to and around the city of Boston itself.

Let me know what kinda siteseeing ya wanna do, and we can go from there.

mtbr member
    The Cycle Loft used to have demo's available, not sure whether that is still the case.

http://cycleloft.com

The "PR" is supposed to be a good place to ride, haven't been there yet myself.

http://www.landlockedforest.com/
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Hello,
    Suggestions?

Hard, easy - doen't matter just fun - looking for suggestions of some of the local favorites.

No idea where to rent from. Near burlington, the PR, as stated above, is an excellent option. search this forum for "private reserve" or Burlington Landlocked Parcel for more info. Even better in my opinion, though a little farther, is Russell Mill in Chelmsford, MA. it doesn't have a long trek to get to the good stuff the way PR does, and it's all very clearly marked and buffed, so it's impossible to get lost. bonus is the pump track behind the soccer field.

mtbr member
    If you check the mv nemba web page there are a few organized rides north of boston. Tuesday night is Lowell/Dracut and Friday night is Russell Mill. If you want 5 minutes closer to town there are rides put through boston NEMBA on Wed & Thurs that go through the Fells. There are other rides as well, check the NEMBA forum and you'll see them.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Hello,
    Suggestions?

You can rent at Belmont Wheelworks or Ace Wheelworks. Plenty of good old fashioned rocky. rooty and fun New England single track.

Don't miss the Boston waterfront.

Go to NEMBA.org for maps, rides, etc..

MC MasterShake
    Well if you are in Burlington your closest bet for rental possibilities would be Belmont Wheel Works or a demo from CycleLoft. Last I heard they we demo-ing Knolly's. I'm assuming you have a vehicle because you will need one.

If you like techy XC riding Harold Parker S.P. in Andover, MA is a pretty sweet spot. If you look up the map online the place to park is off of Jenkins Rd. Willowdale S.P. is more flowy singletrack but make sure to download the map or you will get lost. Heck, you'll get lost with the map. There is riding at the Middlesex Fells, which is probably the closest to get to, but every time I've gone a new trail has been closed to MTB so I've given up on the place. Lynn Woods is also close by but that's known for some very technical riding. There are fireroads to cruise on but the rest is very techy heavy AM/light Freeride.

As far as places to go, Davis Square in Somerville or Harvard Square is fairly close by and is good for food, bars, and people watching. There is of course Downtown Boston with all its parks and historical buildings. If you gotta see the ocean you can drive up 128 for about an hour and hit Gloucester/Rockport/Manchester for the seafaring stuff.

If you need more info or some other suggestions feel free to PM me.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Great info so far everyone - thanks!
    And thx for the PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I'm assuming you have a vehicle because you will need one.
    I am not sure about a car - I think there will be about 6 of us there together for the class, and 1 or 2 cars, but not sure about that part yet.
    Maybe I can confiscate it for a night or 2 or make them take me!
    If not, why do I need one?
    Long commute to the trails?
    No bike-safe route?
    Or some other reason?
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Join Diesel Bikes ( www.dieselbikes.com ) on a Tuesday or Thursday Night ride in Lynn
    I'm Better known as Splat

I am trying to get things finalized here, but no luck in finding a rental or demo.
    Cycleloft just had a medium - I need L or XL.
    Belmont Wheelworks doesn't do rentals anymore.
    Neither seemed to know anyplace that did.

Anyone got an extra MTB sitting around collecting dust? As long as it doesn't fall apart on me is all I'd be looking for!!! I will pay you to let me use it!!!!!
    SS, geared, hardtail, full rigid, full susp, 1990, 2010 - doesn't matter - just wanna be able to ride while I'm out there.

I will be at the Staybridge Suites in Burlington.

Help a brutha out???!!!

Ever out in CO, I'll find a way to return the favor.
    PM me or reply here!

THX!!!!!
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    This LBS is right down the street from where you are staying and they have rentals:
    http://www.bikewaysource.com/rentals.php

mtbr member
    the bike barn is probably 45 minutes from burlington, but they're demoing a variety of full suspension specialized bikes currently

So I ended up renting a Cannondale F7 from Bikeway Source. Not the greatest bike of course, but worked for what I needed - a little exploring - , was in good condition and price was right.
    Went to Russell Mill Wed night and PR/Landlocked Forest this morning.
    So much different than the riding we have in CO! It's fun to check out different stuff when possible.
    These areas were both close to my hotel, and fun little rides. Both had a little techy stuff if wanted and some nice XC loops. It was nice to ride and not see 3 people around every corner!
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Have a good rest of your riding season!
    Old Codger