Delirious Tuck

Borderland SP Loop?

Hello all!

Headed up to Borderland in a couple weeks for a Wedding, want to hit Borderland while I'm up there on Saturday, May 15th. Any suggested loops?

I'm comfortable on everything from skinnies to trailsy rock gardens to roll'n'hucks, so is the wife.

Hook a fellow NEMBA trail builder up with some recommendations!

TIA...
    -RT

rack admirer

Nemba Trail

Don't miss the NEMBA trail. Park on Massapog Ave and start there.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Borderlands is easy to navigate. All the trails are marked and the map is accurate. The trails (ok dirt roads) around the ponds are totally flat and easy, but scenic, good warm-up/down type stuff. All the singletracks to the north are very challenging technical stuff. There isn't that much distance (I'm guessing 10-12 miles of singletrack) so you can ride the whole place in one day. Check out the stone mansion and old stone swimming pool behind it too.

That being said, definitely ride the Nemba trail, I recommend riding up northwest trail and riding from it from north to south, its got better flow that way IMHO. Also, Ridge Trail is a must ride if you like tech features, its got lots of slickrock style exposed granite, I make sure to ride that in both directions. Bob's trail is also worth riding as an out and back, its got some cool bridge sections. Friends trail is fun too, its got some long "kinda skinny" bridges, they're probably 10 or 12 inches wide, and maybe a foot above the swamp (which may or may not be dry)

Overall a fun place to ride as long as you're not looking for smooth intermediate singletrack, its pretty much all green circle or black diamond here. And if you haven't found the map already, here it is.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/border...d_trailmap.gif

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    starting from the main parking lot west to french to Northwest to NEMBA to Ridge to Morse to friends to granite to Split rock to French to west and to the lot

my Pics from about 2 weeks ago http://forum.bikerag.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16425
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Please stay off the the dirt paths around the pond area. I worked at Borderland a bit last year and casual walkers there do not take kindly to riders weaving in and out of traffic and skidding all over the place. Park staff are going to side with the walkers (who make up the majority of users) every time. There were incidents quite frequently. Pissing off park staff by causing trouble on the walking paths is a good way to get bikes kicked out of the park altogether.

Stick the west side trails. They are fun and technical, and have very low traffic.

As was mentioned above, the trails are marked and easy to navigate, and there are maps available at the visitors center.

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    Please stay off the the dirt paths around the pond area. I worked at Borderland a bit last year and casual walkers there do not take kindly to riders weaving in and out of traffic and skidding all over the place. Park staff are going to side with the walkers (who make up the majority of users) every time. There were incidents quite frequently. Pissing off park staff by causing trouble on the walking paths is a good way to get bikes kicked out of the park altogether.

Stick the west side trails. They are fun and technical, and have very low traffic.

As was mentioned above, the trails are marked and easy to navigate, and there are maps available at the visitors center.
    appreciate the heads up, I've already spent over 100 hours in meetings and planning, not to mention dirt time too, this year for access and advocacy so I'm right there with you.

Circus, saw your pics on Bikerag when you posted, completely forgot that was Borderland. Even more psyched now.

Thanks for all the advice, rain before or day of cancels for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay
    Borderlands is easy to navigate. All the trails are marked and the map is accurate. The trails (ok dirt roads) around the ponds are totally flat and easy, but scenic, good warm-up/down type stuff. All the singletracks to the north are very challenging technical stuff. There isn't that much distance (I'm guessing 10-12 miles of singletrack) so you can ride the whole place in one day. Check out the stone mansion and old stone swimming pool behind it too.

That being said, definitely ride the Nemba trail, I recommend riding up northwest trail and riding from it from north to south, its got better flow that way IMHO. Also, Ridge Trail is a must ride if you like tech features, its got lots of slickrock style exposed granite, I make sure to ride that in both directions. Bob's trail is also worth riding as an out and back, its got some cool bridge sections. Friends trail is fun too, its got some long "kinda skinny" bridges, they're probably 10 or 12 inches wide, and maybe a foot above the swamp (which may or may not be dry)

Overall a fun place to ride as long as you're not looking for smooth intermediate singletrack, its pretty much all green circle or black diamond here. And if you haven't found the map already, here it is.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/border...d_trailmap.gif

Are all the trails marked with the trail names? That would be real easy to navigate.

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    Please stay off the the dirt paths around the pond area. I worked at Borderland a bit last year and casual walkers there do not take kindly to riders weaving in and out of traffic and skidding all over the place. Park staff are going to side with the walkers (who make up the majority of users) every time. There were incidents quite frequently. snip
    The only trails that dont allow MTBikers are the Pond Edge, Quiet Woods and Swamp Trails, they are well marked, and really not worth riding IMO. The rest are all accessible and legal for MTB. MAP
    There are a bunch of ways to ride the park. I usually start from Bay Road Entrance (Bob's Trail) and do a loop going in from there (I live 1/2 mile from back entrance of park - so it's my "back yard"). Edit: the trails are all marked with trail names...pretty easy to navigate. Also, PM me if you want a tour guide, if I get enough notice for a kitchen pass, I'm there.

PS: I was one of the 2 planner/designers that made NEMBA trail happen...
    See attached map link
    Attached Files Attached Files