mtbr member
    Nov 2009

borderland- first time

i know it is short notice but i am going to hit borderland up tommorow and wanted to know which bike i should bring. from the pics it looks really rocky but i only see people having a little session on a rock or something. i really don't session much and try to keep moving and hit whatever fun lines i see on the way, am i asking for trouble if i bring my hardtail, or will the full suspension be needed. how are the actual trails? are they super slow going with rocks everywhere, or are you kinda just chugging along at a slow pace trying to avoid the rocks where you can.... lastly, any rules i should know of before i go so i don't give any mountain bikers a bad name..... ya know like a trail i shouldn't be on or stuff like that.

thanks,
    adam

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Search this forum- there are some good suggestions for loops. I have ridden them a few times with my hardtail- it's slow going because of tons of rocks, lines are really important. Not much to session on anyway. A full suspension would make the ride a little more comfortable, but isn't necessary, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    alright went there yesterday and had some fun for sure. i will give a little ride report for poeple who would like to hit this place up

trails i liked where the ridge trail, bobs trail, northwest trail, quary loop trail.

trails that made me want to sell my bike where the west side trail, french trail, and nemba trail. i started off at the west side trail and have never road it before i think i would have liked them better near the end of the day when i got much better at this style of riding.

with that said i have only been riding for three months, 30 years old, decent shape, riding an am hardtail(bring a full susp if you have it) i haven't ridden in rocky terrain like this yet but after about three hours i really started to get the hang of it and would have liked to of doubled back to some of the trails that i hit first like the west side and french one. for me it wasn't really a cardio workout like i usually try to get but more of a burst of energy trying to get through the tough rock sections. from what i rhode which is just about everything they had there i didn't see that many trails. probably can cover them all in like 3.5-4 hours at a crappy pace like i was riding(this includes the bridal trails going around the lake). they do have more trails that aren't marked on the map that make finding out where you are sometimes a little tricky. at every intersection dthough they have real maps posted on a post with a your are here sign just like the mall does which i found to be very helpfull.

for those who havn'et been or don't go that often if you park in some of the off street parking like they have near the end of bobs trail you need a pass to park there. i happen to be there when i saw the ranger handing out tickets like they were celtics playoff tickets. also if at anypoint it starts to get late like it did for me it was nice that i could just hope on the road and fly back to my car before they closed the park at 8 the place is pretty much surrounded by three or four streets so you are really no farther then a half hour away from one at any point.

there is one thing i didn't like that really aggravate me though. the horse crap i found to be out of control, it was everywhere including on my shoe when i stepped on it at the very beginning of my ride when i had no idea i should be watching for it. plus some of the tricky sections had horse crap on them. not only am i having a hard time picking a good line by not i gotta pick a good line with no horse crap in my way. how hard is it for these horse people to put a crap catch on the back of there horse like they do in the city.

hope this helps people that wanted to go there. definately fun riding and can break up the cycle of riding the same places all the time. going to vietnam, or hp over the weekend.

i apologize for my grammer it was never my strong suit

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Borderland

Stop talking crap about horses at Borderland...in my experience, MTBer's and equestrians get along VERY well there. Droppings the issue is what you should do if you go back.

If you ride it regularly, Borderland is the best place to ride in the greater Boston area in my opinion. If you don't know it or ride anything technical, it is hard to clean and get any flow going. That is to be expected if you don't ride it regularly, especially after 3 months of experience. Give yourself a break.

Designated Bleeder

Borderlands

I've been riding mountain bikes for 10 years around the Boston area and I will agree with the fact that Borderlands is a great place to ride. I've always thought it was a good mix of rocks and singletrack. It is definitely best ridden on a full suspension but that said, I have ridden it may times on my 29er hardtail and taken only a minor beating.

As for parking, you have to pay for parking at Borderlands. Its only $2 and if you don't do it, you will get a ticket. That's just the way it goes.

I know Borderlands really well and would be happy to lead a ride some time if anyone wants to help finding their way around. The map supplied at the trailhead is good but it doesn't show you which way to ride certain trails. Some of the Borderland's trails are much better in one direction than the other. That could have been one of your issues.

Hope you have a better experience next time.

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR
    Stop talking crap about horses at Borderland...in my experience, MTBer's and equestrians get along VERY well there. Droppings the issue is what you should do if you go back.

If you ride it regularly, Borderland is the best place to ride in the greater Boston area in my opinion. If you don't know it or ride anything technical, it is hard to clean and get any flow going. That is to be expected if you don't ride it regularly, especially after 3 months of experience. Give yourself a break.
    Why in god's name would anybody ever defend equestrians regarding horse poop? I'm respectful of horses, but only because I'd never forgive myself if I spooked one of those idiot creatures and it tossed a rider. I feel like every time one of their horses takes a big dump on a trail, the equestrians disrespect me. I'm not really complaining; it happens, right? And I can usually steer around poop anyway. But why defend them?

Borderland is a great place to ride. Keep going back; it'll make you a better rider and give you a lot of smiles. And for god's sake, pay your two bucks!
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.