mtbr member

Borden Mountain/Savory Mountain State Forest (x-post)

Thinking of heading to western MA area sometime in the next month to check out Savory Mountain State Forest. Anyone every ridden there or ride there on a regular basis? Just looking for any info on where to ride, if it's worth the trip from Boston etc. My interested was triggered by this write up from IMBA. I'm going to be headed out to central NY state sometime this summer to ride, so I'm thinking of stringing together a mini regional road trip to hit some different locations.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    "Savory" mountain state forest??/ SDounds like a 'tasty' place to ridehttp://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Savoy SF-Once a mecca for ATV's (and still kind of is) it has lots and lots of ledgy double track, it's a huge park-some old trails-it's not unfun-but not the reason to come and ride western, ma. It is definately NOT worth the trip from Boston. I never understood that IMBA epic rating--but there are innumerable other options..in no particular order:

1. Batchelor St/ Earl's (Holyoke skinner sf granby/ south hadley area))--still the best, probably, as a total package single track experience 1/2 rocky 1/2 super tight, smooth-both sides hilly.

2. Wendell SF in Wendell, MA-Rocky, hilly, and wilderness-like--save you an hour on rte 2 over going to Savoy.

3. DAR SF in Goshen, MA-great trail system, lovely swimmming lake and camp ground-can use it as a base of operations to explore the region, too. Rocky, hilly, fun.

4. Yokun Ridge-Lenox Mountain-Kennedy park- Lenox, MA-start at the Arcadian Shop in Lenox to get oriented-get a map there too.--One of my favorites-most berkshire folks prefer October Mountain-but I'll always love the best of lennox. Dramatic climbs and views, sinuous single track, great feeling old hard wood forest.

5. October Mountain, Lenox-Pittsfield-Washington-our state's Biggest state forest--got to go with a local (check the norulesmountain biking club.com) or you'll waste a day.

6. Pittsfield State Forest--Pittsfield-Hancock-lanesborough-huge park-tons of riding--the -pedrosfest does most of it's riding in this forest (hey there's a thought-go to pedrosfest!)--again, local guidance can be helpful.

That's the big 6--there's many otherriding areas in western, Ma but those may be the most destination worthy.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Superb. I've heard of a few of the places you listed, Wendell is already on my list of places to check out so that's good to hear positive reviews.

Part of the reason I was looking at Savory was it's proximity to NY state. I'm trying to put together a ride or two on the way out to a ride destination in central NY that I want to hit this summer. Basically shooting for a 3-4 night trip, riding each day.

achiever
    Before reading this thread I had planned to do the IMBA Epic at Savoy this weekend. I changed my plans and went to Batchelor St. instead. HOLY CRAP! The riding over there is incredible. I ride mostly in Westfield/Holyoke area near Bearhole and Batch blows it out of the water. I ended up riding Missing Persons which is pretty technical and way over my ability level but I had a blast even though I hiked too much. I rode some great singletrack. Actually, just about everything I rode was singletrack... can't wait to go back next weekend.

If you have a GPS, go to Bikerag and download the .gpx file there for the Holyoke Range, it helps quite a bit. There a a bunch of trails in fairly dense forest and it's not too hard to get discombobulated.

Thanks for the tips, Superb! I'll be checking out more of your recommendations in the future.

Red

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah, I wouldn't travel from Boston for Savoy. but I've only ridden there twice and I'm not from the area so I probably didn't find everything. Pittsfield State Forest is much better but you really have to know it or you'll be riding double track forever. nothing there is obvious. you have to know how to link everything together. I learned it by going to Pedros Festival a few years. Pedros is this weekend.

Lenox is very good also. you can start at Kennedy park and venture out from there. you can get some good riding in without much looking then do some investigating to find your way to the start to Yokun Ridge (don't know the dirt rd intersection by name. west Dugway/resovoir rd?? up the street from the ?? Sanctuary) right at this intersection where's there's a small old resovoir. as you go up the hilly dirt rd about 200' on left there will be a trail that snakes up the mtn to overlook of Stockbridge Bowl. you get some riding in around here without looking too much.

October Mtn I don't know as well but I was shown some of the trails and they were ok but I didn't see everything.

and I live on Cape Cod!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    Before reading this thread I had planned to do the IMBA Epic at Savoy this weekend. I changed my plans and went to Batchelor St. instead. HOLY CRAP! The riding over there is incredible. I ride mostly in Westfield/Holyoke area near Bearhole and Batch blows it out of the water. I ended up riding Missing Persons which is pretty technical and way over my ability level but I had a blast even though I hiked too much. I rode some great singletrack. Actually, just about everything I rode was singletrack... can't wait to go back next weekend.

If you have a GPS, go to Bikerag and download the .gpx file there for the Holyoke Range, it helps quite a bit. There a a bunch of trails in fairly dense forest and it's not too hard to get discombobulated.

Thanks for the tips, Superb! I'll be checking out more of your recommendations in the future.

Red
    Always happy to help a tribesman!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This thread mirrored exactly what I was looking for as well.

I don't mind the usual New England technical rock gardens etc. but it is also nice to get up to speed and just ride some single track without riding through baby-heads all day (we ride HTs btw).

My wife will just kill me if I drag her on another death march hike-a-bike ride.

I will have to investigate the western part of the state more.

Any thoughts on the Worcester County areas?

Steve