mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Blue Hills - suggestions

Hi -

I just moved over to JP, and was pretty pleased to see how close i now am to Blue Hills. Barely 15 minutes. My "home" trail was always Fells, and i'm beyond bored of it, basically (hey, it's been 10 years).

Can anyone suggest the best ride routes in Blue Hills? singletrack, double, what have you...

I have a trail map i just grabbed, and would love to hear thought.

Getting ready to try out my new Spesh Enduro SL Comp! (which might be a little tough, as i hear Blue Hills has some burly hills, and this is my first all mountain/downhill bike...(always had XCs)

thanks!

mtbr member
    There is some information here http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/p_Bl...servation.html

If you're looking for a technical ride with not much climbing, try riding the trail immediately south of Chickatawbut Road from about marker 2075 out to route 28. see the map here http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/blueHills.gif

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey if your in JP stop by Ferris wheels and say hi, during the warmer months I lead MTB rides to the blue hills and wompatuck

-John

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Looking to ride at BH

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Boston this weekend (7/27 - 7/29) and am planning on riding in Blue Hills on Sat morning (8ish). I am originally from Dorchester but have never ridden BH (started riding after I moved). I am an intermediate rider looking to do 10 - 15 miles at about an 8mph pace. Or somewhere there abouts. Really just want to see what is what.

Any group rides happening that I can jump in on? Anyone have a gps map they are willing to share? Any info you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Here's some tracks from one of my rides there.
    It includes Tucker Hill (maybe on a "no red bikes" trail), Buck Hill, and Great Blue, a cool area we call the Black Forest west of Unquity Rd, a brake-burning descent down the ski trail (east of the main slope), and a chunky, tech descent down Accord Path towards Prowse Farm.
    Bring your climbing legs!

Oops, I just noticed the dates on the OP.

PoppaBear, here's an updated link to the map.

And here's an easier loop through some fireroads and doubletrack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks DirtyJack. I will be sure to pack the legs maybe a motor on the back of the bike as well. Just in case.

BTW, nice Kestrel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    what trails would i hit up if i wanted to get some serious climbing in? the longer the better looking to get alot in even if i have to do the same hill a couple times. i heard there was even a paved service road that might be pretty steep and long

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    what trails would i hit up if i wanted to get some serious climbing in? the longer the better looking to get alot in even if i have to do the same hill a couple times. i heard there was even a paved service road that might be pretty steep and long
    Look at the first tracks in my post (#5) above.

rack admirer

Add Hancock and Hemingway Hill to the list

Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    Dirty Jack has the right idea. You can easily add Hancock Hill and Hemenway Hill to his trail map. they are legal.

If you want to torture yourself, just ride repeats on Buck Hill. Call it interval training.

Dirty Jack: Rarely see anyone up there unless they are hiking skyline. I do see some tracks, though.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Dirty Jack has the right idea. You can easily add Hancock Hill and Hemenway Hill to his trail map. they are legal.

If you want to torture yourself, just ride repeats on Buck Hill. Call it interval training.

Dirty Jack: Rarely see anyone up there unless they are hiking skyline. I do see some tracks, though.
    We can't ride Blue Hills without a climb up Buck Hill.

The doubletrack (west) route is getting terribly washed out though. NEMBA has been approached to design a nice flowy trail on Buck Hill. We thought it would start this spring, but it's taking longer than expected.

And the area we call Black Forest is Breakneck Ledge below Hancock - dark, mossy, spooky at night.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok, so BH kicked my a$$. I started in the Yellow section (found a path across from the visitor's center parking lot) and quickly punked out. Maybe I picked a bad place to start (yeah that's the ticket). Just one look and I know I didn't bring the right "climbing legs."

I did about 10 miles through the Blue, Red and Green sections.

I will be back.

Thanks for the info.

Thinking of changing my name to BabyBear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i had a pretty decent time also.. on friday i road the white arrow trail and did the yellow arrow trail twice, coon hollow twice and went up summit road twice. it seemed like you would have to know which trals to cut in and out of because it seemed everytime i looked at a green or red it had a no biking sign. where is this buck hill you guys speak off? here if the ride i did let me know if i was there or not.

rack admirer

You circled it

Buck Hill is on the right side of your map where Rt 28 intersects Chickatabot Rd. If you ride that loop counter-clockwise, on the left would be a trail marked 2160 alongside Chickatabot. Up you go. Excellent views from the top where it intersects Skyline. If you look closely, to the left, you will see orange flags marking an approved MTB style flowy trail not yet built. It will ultimately replace the 2160 straight run that I call pulmonary function test. Either because of rocks, weather or fires, there are no trees up there. It is cool when you pop out above the tree line and there is only blueberry bushes. Very good vertical for eastern Mass. If you ride there at dusk, you will see that it is aptly named.
    MCM # 57