mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Blue Hills reservation... Bike Park???

I heard a rumor from my Jamis rep that someone is opening a mountain biking park in the blue hills. Does anyone have any info on this? That is basically all he knew.

Thanks

mtbr member
    thatd be awesome

rack admirer

Be doubtful

Be doubtful.
    BH has the Boston area best total vertical and fine granite terrain. It is fairly solid after big rains. While limited in twisty singletrack, I don't know of any better place for extended climbs and descents than its overgrown double track fireroads locally.
    Despite this, the trustees of the reservation are very conservative. The park is closed every winter to avoid the possibility of riders putting grooves in frost heaves or surfaces that are partially thawed. In the 15 years that I have been riding there, there has not been one new trail. There is no night riding because nocturnal birds of prey may be disturbed. Large durable tracts are closed to mountain biking to keep them remote (or perhaps horseys).
    I will not deny the fine possibility of a lift accessed bike park utilizing the BH ski area, but things remain the same at BH while lesser DCR sites have development for a reason.
    I am just happy to ride there within their rules. I don't see alot of other users except for foliage weeks and the red dots on great blue hill. I think that the conservators see a value in being remote from humans within eyeshot of the Boston skyline.
    Last edited by Mr Magoo; 06-08-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    There have been rumors of some lift served terrain being opened up at the ski hill but I haven't heard/seen anything concrete as of yet but you're not the only person to have heard this. I think we'll have to wait and see how DCR feels about this.

Mr. Magoo, you have a different perspective on trail access in BH than most people I've heard from which is interesting, especially having ridden there as long as you have. My understanding is that equestrians convinced DCR that MTBers were dangerous and damaged trails ~20yrs ago. This hasn't been reversed in the interim time despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. Personally I wish much more of the singletrack was opened to riders. Despite having BH within 10mins of my house I tend not to MTB there much because I enjoy other locations more. That said I trail rode BH yesterday morning, but tend do only MTB there ~6 times a year. I do road ride BH multiple times per week however, but this is simply personal preference.

The real downfall is the lack of trail maintenance in BH. I find it hard to believe you think BH dries out well after rain. True, the upper elevations do, but only because nearly every trail in the park is a straight fall line and rutted from water problems. NEMBA attempted to sway DCR this year by offering to have IMBA come in and teach sustainable trail building techniques and re-route some of the worst offenders. Unfortunately DCR politics and a "historical designation" on the park prevented this and will continue to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the insight. My Rep made it sound like someone was leasing the land and was already working with investors. I am crossing my fingers, it would be amazing to have something like that 15 minutes from boston!

rack admirer

ski area is leased

The ski area is leased from the DCR. If I were paying the rent, I would want to use it more than a few months a year and try spring-summer-fall lift service. Its a good run. Steep enough for high school ski racers to train on. I poached it once or twice in the 90's before I knew better.
    MCM # 57

Beasley
    they just found a dead burnt body in BH.....http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO115761/

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cth978
    they just found a dead burnt body in BH.....http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO115761/
    Do you think there's a connection?

BTW, a park at BHs would be even cooler then the last season of Lost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason@Cambridge Bicycle
    I heard a rumor from my Jamis rep that someone is opening a mountain biking park in the blue hills. Does anyone have any info on this? That is basically all he knew.

Thanks
    Come on, this is Matt we are talking about

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I heard this rumor to. I was chatting with a guy at Wompatuck and he insisted the BH freeride park would be open this fall. Knowing DCR, I doubt this.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are you saying Matt is full of ****? I mean maybe he is, thats what I am trying to find out!

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007