Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bike recommendation for lynn woods?

I've got an '07 stumpy fsr. I started riding at lynn woods this season and now I never go anywhere else. I'm gonna drop some cash for a new bike in the spring. I was looking at the new enduro expert, thinking that the 6 inches of travel and the 66.5 degree headtube would make lynn even more fun. I notice though that almost everyone else at lynn has some sort of coil sprung freeride bike and now I'm thinking something bigger might be better, like maybe the sx trail. Any input? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How do you ride when in LW? How heavy are you?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    ride your bike till it cracks. then upgrade. it's the lynn woods way!

bikes cracked in lynn:

'86 stumpjumper (cracked in 95 :-)
    '98 gt zaskar
    '99 cannondale super v
    '00 intense uzzi dh

if your bent on spending heavy cash 5-6" travel is plenty & keep the build under 40

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I weigh about 185. How do I ride? I'm hitting pretty much everything I find except the larger drops but I keep eyeing some of those. I like making my way up the tricky parts as much as I like going down them.
    As far as waiting for a crack, I'm doing my best to crack it but this is probably go time for the last new bike I'll get before I have some kids. I hear they eat up some cash...

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mgunstudios
    As far as waiting for a crack, I'm doing my best to crack it but this is probably go time for the last new bike I'll get before I have some kids. I hear they eat up some cash...
    I think it depends on how you feed them. Supposedly they'll be fine with a lot less food and clothing then experts say. So, just keeping buying new bikes like everyone else, you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Next month will be 22 years that I've been riding Lynn Woods (Mountain bikes that is) I own quite a few different bikes and right now my main bike is a 29er hardtail but If I could only have one bike it would be my rigid 29er Single Speed....For now I'd say ride what cha got and just have fun....This is of course only MY opinion......CF.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    if your riding lynn all the time you want something thats going withstand its abuse. Your on the right track w/ head angle and travel. transition bottle rocket, sc bullit/nomad, spec sx trail all good bikes and the are in the genre your looking at. Or an aggresive hard tail like the sc chameleon w/ a pike. All good options.

MC MasterShake
    If you like hitting stuff I'd say minimum bike for Lynn would be a tough 6x6 w/a good warranty. I've broken many lesser bikes there. I'd avoid the Enduro. The 07's and prior had issues with the swingarm cracking. The 08/09 model is a long legged XC bike that is very flexy and that proprietary suspension is a nightmare. My buddy has gone through 4 forks and 10 rear shocks in 2 years. It's gotten so bad that he doesn't hit drops anymore. The 2010 design looks interesting but carbon and rocks do not get along.

The SX is going in the right direction. The only problem with the SX is the wacky geometry. 16.5" chainstays along with that slack HA would feel kind of squirrely I think. It also has a 13" BB height which would mean some serious rock bashing.

Personally, I ride a Knolly Delirium and I hit almost everything that Lynn has to offer, besides the massive stuff to flat. I couldn't imagine having a much lesser bike than that

I'd look at the following bikes:
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Pivot Firebird
    Turner RFX
    Intense SS
    Nomad

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ride LW 5 days a week (down from 6 to 7 days before the baby was born) just because I live right next to it and ride off of my backyard lawn to get to it. I've seen the range of bikes from 29'er full suspension to hardtails to trail bikes to freeride bikes to DH rigs in LW. I figured, riding regularly in LW, I'd need a durable bike that's not too heavy and not too slack, yet heavy enough to be strong and slack enough to be stable. Because even though it'd be nice to have something that could routinely take big hits, making some of those steep climbs near Walden pond on the south side of the north side of LW is important as well, so weight and nothing with too low a head angle should be considered.

If you're looking for a new bike, I think Woodyak's list is a good starting point. Durability and strength are important, especially if you're doing LW drops since many are to near-flat.
    I never thought carbon and LW mixed--too much granite there. So I wouldn't recommend a carbon frame. I think 6 to 7 inch travel bikes predominate at LW, but there are exceptions as I mentioned. By the way, I'd also look at the Intense Uzzi if that's in your budget. From what I hear, the RFX won't be available in a while.

I have a friend who's 180lbs and rides a Nomad with air shock. It's versatile for the terrain and seems to be just right for many of the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    what did i just tell you dude... get the intense SS or the Uzzi. you could tear that place up with the SS if you had a pair of balls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpriv
    what did i just tell you dude... get the intense SS or the Uzzi. you could tear that place up with the SS if you had a pair of balls.
    And if you REALLY had balls you could "Tear that place up" on a 29er rigid SS.... BTW, for what it's worth two years ago our group had three Intense 6.6's in it and they all were dead with in a year....I don't want to turn this into a big pissing match but you DO NOT need a 35 pound 6-7in bike to ride and or enjoy Lynn Woods....News flash for ya It's not the bike..YES of course "The bike" can and does play a huge role...My "Big bike" has 120 travel and it is MORE than enough..No I'm not doing 20ft drops anymore but it's plenty of bike for everything and anything else.....I love these guys who are all decked out in full face lids, full body armor,knee pads, shin pads, elbow pads,(**** I think some might even have condoms on under their "Padded" shorts..Then they go out there and hide behind these big 7-9 bikes and think they are hard core "Skilled" riders...(Some are) but ALOT are not....Woodark has my respect (not that he needs it) as he is a great rider...He rides that place just the way it should be..(The way a 50 pound lighter guy might ride it... ) This is only my opinion so all you thin skined meatballs can save it for someone who gives a fu@k.......CF.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    And if you REALLY had balls you could "Tear that place up" on a 29er rigid SS.... BTW, for what it's worth two years ago our group had three Intense 6.6's in it and they all were dead with in a year....I don't want to turn this into a big pissing match but you DO NOT need a 35 pound 6-7in bike to ride and or enjoy Lynn Woods....News flash for ya It's not the bike..YES of course "The bike" can and does play a huge role...My "Big bike" has 120 travel and it is MORE than enough..No I'm not doing 20ft drops anymore but it's plenty of bike for everything and anything else.....I love these guys who are all decked out in full face lids, full body armor,knee pads, shin pads, elbow pads,(**** I think some might even have condoms on under their "Padded" shorts..Then they go out there and hide behind these big 7-9 bikes and think they are hard core "Skilled" riders...(Some are) but ALOT are not....Woodark has my respect (not that he needs it) as he is a great rider...He rides that place just the way it should be..(The way a 50 pound lighter guy might ride it... ) This is only my opinion so all you thin skined meatballs can save it for someone who gives a fu@k.......CF.
    Fred man I gotta say you do have a way with words You make a good point. A more skilled/experienced rider can get away with ripping Lynn Woods on whatever bike they choose to ride. Heck, I've had some great days out there with my 24lb. Titus Racer-X. But, if you are just starting to hit some of the more technical/gnarly lines it's nice to have something a bit more forgiving. When I was learning Lynn I was on a pretty wimpy XC type bike and I paid my dues with blood and skin and bike parts. I would've loved to have something with slacker angles and bigger tires to deflect some of that pain. Once you've gained the experience and confidence then it comes down to riding preference. You've already hit the biggest stuff LW has to offer. Me, I'm still working on some of the bigger hits so I need something that's not going to break on me. Plus I love out climbing the Lycra-clad crew on my 38lb. beast

btw, I do get a chuckle out of seeing those guys decked out like they are at Whistler only to watch them go around everything. I can understand some shin pads or something but full body armor

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95
    I ride LW 5 days a week (down from 6 to 7 days before the baby was born) just because I live right next to it and ride off of my backyard lawn to get to it. I've seen the range of bikes from 29'er full suspension to hardtails to trail bikes to freeride bikes to DH rigs in LW. I figured, riding regularly in LW, I'd need a durable bike that's not too heavy and not too slack, yet heavy enough to be strong and slack enough to be stable. Because even though it'd be nice to have something that could routinely take big hits, making some of those steep climbs near Walden pond on the south side of the north side of LW is important as well, so weight and nothing with too low a head angle should be considered.

If you're looking for a new bike, I think Woodyak's list is a good starting point. Durability and strength are important, especially if you're doing LW drops since many are to near-flat.
    I never thought carbon and LW mixed--too much granite there. So I wouldn't recommend a carbon frame. I think 6 to 7 inch travel bikes predominate at LW, but there are exceptions as I mentioned. By the way, I'd also look at the Intense Uzzi if that's in your budget. From what I hear, the RFX won't be available in a while.

I have a friend who's 180lbs and rides a Nomad with air shock. It's versatile for the terrain and seems to be just right for many of the trails.
    Just an FYI - a few of us are running Ibis Mojos at Lynn and after several years there are no issues with carbon / granite collisions in there, so I wouldn't shy away from at least Ibis' carbon offerings for Lynn.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    mgun, i'm curious. where did you cut your teeth riding and on what bike?

and on another note. cf/woody make a good point. i am a strong believer that there should be a progression. kids coming up now just start out buy buying a big full suspension rig when they should really start out on a hard tail to hone their skills. all kids coming up now should be forced to earn their stripes and make donations of blood to the gods on a hardtail or rigid bike. it is really the only way to develop the skill set you need to enjoy lynn properly as well as dh. hitting a 5 footer to flat on a hardtail really forces you to get the front end up and be frosty. any monkey can blast off a 5 footer on a big full suspension bike. they rely totally on the bike. some of the best riders i have ever seen in lynn (flipper, andy, george) were not on huge bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by newenglandrocks
    Just an FYI - a few of us are running Ibis Mojos at Lynn and after several years there are no issues with carbon / granite collisions in there, so I wouldn't shy away from at least Ibis' carbon offerings for Lynn.
    Glad to know you're rockin' the carbon! More power to you! It just goes to show there's no one way at LW. And good way to dispel those myths about the most abundant element on earth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Stop Drop and roll-
    I've only been riding a couple of years now. The Stumpy is my first bike. Last season I was riding at wompatuck and blue hills a lot and started the rocky loop at Harold parker towards the end of the year. This year was half harold parker then we switched to lynn woods. Now everywhere else seems boring. Also been to highland a couple of times and once to plattekill.

this thread's getting interesting. I just got back from Lynn and I was hoping to see crazy fred wrestling with a guy in body armor. not this time...

mtbr member

WOW!! very impressed,

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Drop N Roll
    mgun, i'm curious. where did you cut your teeth riding and on what bike?

and on another note. cf/woody make a good point. i am a strong believer that there should be a progression. kids coming up now just start out buy buying a big full suspension rig when they should really start out on a hard tail to hone their skills. all kids coming up now should be forced to earn their stripes and make donations of blood to the gods on a hardtail or rigid bike. it is really the only way to develop the skill set you need to enjoy lynn properly as well as dh. hitting a 5 footer to flat on a hardtail really forces you to get the front end up and be frosty. any monkey can blast off a 5 footer on a big full suspension bike. they rely totally on the bike. some of the best riders i have ever seen in lynn (flipper, andy, george) were not on huge bikes.
    Well said, VERY well said....To bad more people didn't see or understand this...Trust me I know who is the best and who is not even close, Andy and George are for sure right up there with the best..(Top ten if you ask me) But nobody, NOBODY gets it done like the Sweed..(Dr.Pete, Gilday, Scott Lapane,) and pretty much that whole crew...If not for Sweed and Kubany half the trails we ALL ride wouldn't even be there..(No not Dieselbikes) Dont get me wrong Frank has done ALOT of good (and some not so good) for Lynn..But for what? the past six years? Sweed and Mike (and alot of us) have been doing this for TWENTY SIX years...BIG difference.....There are trails that are no longer out there that were better than ANYTHING that is there now....FACT....BTW when you say "Flipper" are you talking about "Flipper Flipper?" of Sweed and Flipper? Broke 15 Proflex's Flipper? Tree trunk legs Flipper? He used to keep me up at night just wondering "How the Fu@k did he get up on that?" A true Lynn Woods LEGEND, PERIOD......If in fact we are talking about the same guy... Once again, a very well written reply, with much truth that should be said WAY more often.......Thanks.....CF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgunstudios

this thread's getting interesting. I just got back from Lynn and I was hoping to see crazy fred wrestling with a guy in body armor. not this time...
    There's ALWAYS another day.... Ask around, I'm sure you will find more than a few colorful stories....Ask about how I got the nickname "Shoeless" Fred... BTW feel free to shoot me a PM anytime with any bike questions or what have you.(If you'ed like) CF.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    flipper = dave. retarded tree trunk legs dave. yeah it use to really amaze me the sh*t he was able to climb. one day about 8 or 9 years ago i saw him climb this enormous rock face. must been 18 feet straight up & extremely steep. one of the most incredible things i have seen out there. funny thing was, he was on this piece of crap hardtail that he borrowed from someone. he is a true legend of lynn and opened alot of peoples eyes as to what was possible on a bike.

gilday = no comment

funny as hell that you mention scotty lapann. he and i cut our teeth together like 10 years ago. i remember when he was scared to roll down a steep 2 footer. he was like "no way, i'm not doing that line!" then he went on to do some big hucking. but personally i thought he was reckless and had no style. he just threw himself off sh*t. you sure you wanna include him with the legends :-) (scotty boy, if your out there, sorry brotha, but you know i'm right yo)

(btw, i met you that day in beverly with fred wiz. took your advice and joined up at mtbr!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Since Scott doesn't frequent this forum I'll chime in to defend him. I don't think Fred referred to Scott as a legend. He just said he gets it done. Which he does. As far as legend status goes, there are a handful of guys who have taken what used to be scenery and turned it into terrain. Flappy was certainly one of the few who did that by being nutty enough to climb up and jump off things no one had before. Scott did the same thing. 5 years ago you could count the guys on one hand dropping the few doable fifteen footers that there are in Lynn. Scotty and Fred are two of them and I'll bet stop drop and roll wasn't one of the other three. To this day he still makes climbs that a lot of guys can't and he does it on a bike with road gears. I can't recall ever seeing him crash on a drop unless he broke something so saying he was reckless is pretty inaccurate.

On the bike topic, It's pretty much up to what you're into. Fred's on cloud nine on his 29'er but that doesn't sound like your interest Mgun. Woodyak is right on with his Delirium recommendation. Nice strong bike, pedals sweet and from what I hear they are redesigning them for next year and there is a surplus of '09's to be had pretty cheap.(Cycle Loft had a couple kicking around). And like Aust said, weight is a factor. If you ride light you might be able to get away with a cheaper bike. But if you are 180 plus and like drops and bashing through stuff you might want to pony up for a beefier frame so your not repeating this post next summer.

mtbr member

Legend?

flipper = dave. retarded tree trunk legs dave. yeah it use to really amaze me the sh*t he was able to climb. one day about 8 or 9 years ago i saw him climb this enormous rock face. must been 18 feet straight up & extremely steep. one of the most incredible things i have seen out there. funny thing was, he was on this piece of crap hardtail that he borrowed from someone. he is a true legend of lynn and opened alot of peoples eyes as to what was possible on a bike.

gilday = no comment

funny as hell that you mention scotty lapann. he and i cut our teeth together like 10 years ago. i remember when he was scared to roll down a steep 2 footer. he was like "no way, i'm not doing that line!" then he went on to do some big hucking. but personally i thought he was reckless and had no style. he just threw himself off sh*t. you sure you wanna include him with the legends :-) (scotty boy, if your out there, sorry brotha, but you know i'm right yo)

(btw, i met you that day in beverly with fred wiz. took your advice and joined up at mtbr!)
    Ya the whole "Legend" comment was pretty much for Sweed...Trust me I know PLENTY about Scott Lapane,say and think what you will all HUGE drops aside,(as going big has NOTHING to do with skills, and or what the REAL Lynn Woods is and was all about) BUT FWIW NOBODY has gone bigger in Lynn (or the North Shore) than Scott and myself...And yes he has crashed before, not as much as me but I would rather have had the crashes that I've had while being that guy who was willing to hit the stuff that NOBODY was doing, rather than being one of the MANY that stood around and watched...Having said that I've seen Scott rip up and just KILL Lynn and make it up every single climb out there (and there are some climbs that I'm sure many don't even know it's a line) on a 68 pound Hood and many other crazy stupid heavy bikes...As for Sean Gilday you would have a VERY VERY hard time trying to find someone (at any age) let alone 45 that can hang with him..PURE FREAK...As is most of that group..MY GROUP, havn't rode with them once this year because of small stupid BS between some of us, but they are and will ALWAYS be my group..Great guys..Yes that means you Kubaner. So stop&roll are you the guy on the old school Intense from a few weeks ago? Great meeting you that day, glad to see you here..Have you done anymore homework on what migh tbe your next bike? What did I tell you that day? Knolly right? Der-T. Shoot Woodark a PM, he is a GREAT guy who I'm sure will help you with any and all Knolly questions....Like I told you that day (and as Kubaner said) I'm am full on 29er and will NEVER ride a 26 again..I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the ride that comes with the big wheel..Than again my going big days are long been behind me...But the 29er market right now is going towards "All Mountan" 5-6 29ers..I am working along side Banshee Cycles with their new 5.5 29er fully (The Claymore) with 17.2 chainstays (that's crazy short for a 29er) but the short stays is what you want for our kind of terrain..It looks as if the first Proto-type will be done by late Feb,(and it's going to me as I'm to get the FIRST one. ) OK that's enough as I'm sure most of you are bleeding from the eyes trying to read my 5th grade grammer.. It is what it is boys...Thanks.....CF.

mtbr member
    May 2006

gilday = no comment

Just putting my in my 2sense Gilday no comment what does that suppose to mean? There are not to many people that could keep up with him in Lynn woods or climb what he gets up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    Just putting my in my 2sense Gilday no comment what does that suppose to mean? There are not to many people that could keep up with him in Lynn woods or climb what he gets up.
    I thought I addressed that ....Come on brother you think I'd let ANYONE talk negative about ANY of my friends? including you meatball. (I'm kidding of course) He's a grown man and is allowed to have his own opinion,(BTW all he said was "no comment" this could mean any number of things) I just wanted to tell him what my opinion of Sean was (is)...I'm sure it's no biggie, Heck , if you had to defend me everytime somebody said "Crazy Fred" = No comment you'ed never get any sleep ever again.... BTW have been REALLY wanting to talk to lately but don't have your cell #..(Just the house and shop) but didn't want to ring you up on either one of those....CF..

Clown
    Nov 2009
    about gilday, i do not know him personally yet every encounter i have ever had with him over the years has been decidedly negative. i'm sure he is probably a great guy yet i never saw that. too bad

as far as scott goes perhaps i was unduly harsh on him. i was speaking of the scott when he and i were coming up. same could be said of me back then, reckless & no style. i'm sure he went on to smooth out his style as did i. he is like a brotha to me and i hope he is doing well.

cf, the knolly is a solid recommendation. i like that it is a four bar like my intense. gonna wait till next year to do anything as the bills are piling up and i have no extra cash. blows

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Stop Drop N Roll]about gilday, i do not know him personally yet every encounter i have ever had with him over the years has been decidedly negative. i'm sure he is probably a great guy yet i never saw that. too bad

I'm not going to lie, this is not the first time I've heard this about Sean. But many, MANY think and have said the same of me (yes I know,I don't get either ) ...I promise you he as top shelve of a guy you will ever find...And again is a VERY skilled rider....Why don't you try to hook up with Woodark and get a better hands on look and feel for the Knolly Der-T..His frame will of course be to small for you, but you'll be able to get a real good idea of what's-up with that bike....I have Noel's cell # (Noel owner & CEO of Knolly bikes) he is a GREAT guy and doesn't mind helping out with any and all questions....I like to bug him every now and then with "when will we see a Endorphin 29er?" (When more forks become available) Let me know if there is anything I can do to help....CF.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast