mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bike-Buying Advice Please!

Hey guys and gals-

I'm currently riding a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc, which has bent & out of round wheels, skipping teeth on the cassette, and a derailleur that seems impossible to tune so that it stops changing gears by itself. Needless to say, I'm thinking about upgrading, maybe to a full-suspension. This is where I need your help- I really don't want to spend much money.

First of all- how much would it cost me (is it possible) to repair this bike back into pleasantly rideable condition?

Second, if I do decide to purchase another bike, should I go for full-suspension or stick with hardtail? I've been happy with my Hardrock, but my skills have out-paced the bike. I'm afraid that riding small drops and stuff is bad with a hardtail (seeing what it's done to mine). What would you recommend for <$1000? As background, my favorite places to ride regularly (usually about 2-4 times/wk, 2 hrs a day) are Harold Parker and Vietnam (especially DLS, although i avoid the really big stuff and just hit the 2-3 footers). I do like to explore new trails though, and I've enjoyed riding Bruce and Tom's, Cutler, Private Reserve, Fells, Blue Hills, Borderland, Wompy, Callahan, Ashland, Belmont/MacLean/Rock Meadow, Morse Pond, Lynn Woods, etc.

FS bikes I see around for <$1000 new are Giant Yukon FX, Specialized FSR XC, Iron Horse Warrior, Diamondback Recoil (and Recoil Comp), and I WAS looking at Ibex, until they disappeared. I've looked at the Jamis Dakar and Parker, but the components don't seem too good. I've also looked at used bikes, but they make me nervous, especially online. I did just miss a '06 Kona Kikapu in good condition on ebay that sold for 810+50 shipping- should i have bought it?

Hardtails are too many to list.

SO, what do you think? I welcome any and all suggestions and advice. Thanks!
    Last edited by phipsi102; 03-01-2010 at 08:06 AM.

the test dummy
    id demo as may bikes as you can don't even look at the price just ride them then go from there. and also if your hitting 2-3 foot drops thats more all mountain then xc. lastly if you get a good all mountain hard tail they can do any thing a all mountain fully can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

norwoodrider4
    Aug 2007
    I ride giant, love them so I am therefore biased, but I would check out your LBS, if they have anything good leftover, that is where the deals are. The Yukon FX is a great buy for the money, it will stand up to the abuse if you keep her well maintained. Another option would be to salvage whatever you can off your bike, look for some cheaper fully frames, either used or new, one place to look would be jensonusa.com, they always have deals, but if you can find that same bike at your LBS, keep your money in the neighborhood please.
    Go fast, or go down

achiever
    Have you ever replaced your chain, chainrings and cassette? Those are most likely the culprits to your shifting problems. Ever had the wheels trued & tensioned?

You'd do well to look at a hardtail in your price range. You may want to consider building your own. Maybe an On One Inbred 456 with a 140 or 150mm fork. Truvativ Stylo AM crankset with SRAM X9 drivetrain. Try to find some handbuilt wheels. Use the brakes off your Hardrock and anything else you can... And do more maintenance on the new bike. It should last you way longer than 3 or 4 years

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the advice, keep it coming! I just saw this Iron Horse Warrior for $599- good deal? http://www.rscycle.com/2009-Iron-Hor...7&category=531

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Sette

Check out the Sette line via Pricepoint. The Ace is a trail worthy XC bike with 100mm back/120 front for $1,000. If you're willing to go up in weight and spend $200 more, you can get the Flite 6" travel AM rig, which would probably be more appropriate for Vietnam, especially if you start getting tempted to try bigger stuff; anything too much over a couple feet would be too much for the Ace. They also have good priced HT's, but unless you are a racer, I'd go suspension.

Both of these bikes get good reviews. I wouldn't be fooled into thinking they are as good as the top-of-the line stuff, but for the price they can't be beat and come with solid, if not flashy suspension and drivetrain components. I just picked the ACE xc frame to build a cheap race bike - the finish on it is pretty good and it is light at around 5.7 to 5.8 lbs for a large frame - for under $500.

Also worthy of noting, this is not a Pricepoint brand and will soon be available via independent dealers, if you are someone not interested in mail order. Not sure if anyone will carry them locally, though.
    Last edited by quasi_shawn; 03-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

bump

bumpity bump?

mtbr member
    Id say start searching CL and the classifieds and find a 6in squisher. 6in of travel is a happy medium and will give you a little room to progress in places like Nam yet still be completely XCable if you want to stick to that.