mtbr member
    May 2005

'Best' wheelbuilder in Mass.?

I just moved here and am putting together a new 29er and am looking to get some wheels built up. I have invested in King hubs and so forth, so I want to find a really good wheelbuilder. I live in Western Mass., but I don't mind travelling or shipping the parts if there is someone in the state who really knows their stuff. Can anyone recommend a good wheelbuilder?

mtbr member

if you dont mind shipping....

Local:
    At ace wheelworks in Somerville, they run a wheelbuilding class, so i'm betting that at least someone there is a pretty damn good wheelbuilder, plus their name is wheelworks...seems like they would take pride in building decent wheels....

out of state there are several options for very good wheelbuilders out there:
    Mike garcia as www.oddsandendos.com (Florida)
    Todd at www.webcyclery.com (oregon)
    Dave at www.speeddream.com
    George at www.speedgoat.com
    larry at www.mtnhighcyclery.com

those were all the ones I can think of, none are local to you, speedgoat is the closest in PA I think.

Who are the brain police?
    had a killer set built at cycleloft.. forget the guys name.. but just ask for who has the most experience (he's the oldest guy there..).

the end product were just as good as a set I got from speeddream.com (a high end chichi builder).
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

rack admirer

Talk to Sheldon Brown

Since you are creating a list.... Harris Cyclery in Newton should be on it.
    I, myself am a Mike Garcia fan.
    MCM # 57

Who are the brain police?
    I'm more of a Jerry Garcia fan myself.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Tyler at Paramount Bike Repair is the real deal. I am a 300 pounder and have had him build road, track and mountain wheelsets for me. I never had a problem with any of them. I would go with him for your build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by krinkncrank
    I just moved here and am putting together a new 29er and am looking to get some wheels built up. I have invested in King hubs and so forth, so I want to find a really good wheelbuilder. I live in Western Mass., but I don't mind travelling or shipping the parts if there is someone in the state who really knows their stuff. Can anyone recommend a good wheelbuilder?
    Did you find a wheelbuilder? If so, how'd they come out? I'm in Central/Western Mass myself and have built a fair share of wheels. I'm about a week away from getting my own 29er wheels done. First 29er, can't wait to ride the darn thing!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks - I had Parker at Laughing Dog in Amherst build the wheels and they have been fine. They required a retrue after they settled in, and that was included in the wheel build cost. So far so good. I've moved to B.C. for 3 months but look forward to getting back for some summer woods riding!

Beat on the Brat

For those of you in Northern Mass

right over the border in Seabrook, NH there is Recycled Sports owned by a guy named Derrick and he built me a couple awesome wheels in the past. He's right on Rt. 1. It's a small place, and his hours are kind of weird because he rides/skis a lot, so call first. Also, if you are looking to sell off your old bike, he does consignment there on all kinds of outdoor gear like bikes, skis etc. I got my last pair of ski boots there on a killer deal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    When I lived in Albany, NY and raced for the Berkshire Cycling road team, I used to do a lot of business with Paul at the Spoke in Williamstown - right off Rt. 2. He's a really nice guy and built some great Zipp road wheels for me, I can't vouch if he's the "best" builder in that area but is very easy to deal with and can get you anything you need at a reasonable price. Wish I still lived around there for the great road and mtn bike rides, Boston isn't bad but lacks real mtns. Here's the website:http://www.spokebicycles.com/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    another guy to check out is Eric at

http://www.ergottwheels.com/

He's in NY, but his work is top-notch. I won't use any other wheel builder.