Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

BEST trails in the Shelburne Falls area?

I am coming through, and looking for the best local ST in the area (of course!) on my way from Hartford CT to Jackson Hole! I have a local guide offer already, who I trust, but I just want to do a little research...what is the best 1.5 --3 hr ride in the area?

Me likey techie stuff, roots, rocks, flowy, some minor stunts welcome...Ideas, good people?
    Thanks!

Edit: Bachelor St. trails, the goods?
    They sound good!
    Last edited by rideit; 05-27-2007 at 07:14 PM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    1. Bachelor st trails are very good-the real deal but..

2. There is another trail area much nearer to shelburne falls, and just as good--ask your local guide about opportunities slightly west of shelburne....

Also the DAR in Goshen is closer to shelburn falls as well (right down south on rte 112) and offersplenty of great riding.

Between the DAR, Bachelor st-earls and this other area west of shelburne you'll find some fantastic riding (fwiw-bachelor st is a good 40 minutes from shelburne).

good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    rideit, I wouldn't steer you wrong

"The Freak Show"
    Hey there I live right in Shelburne Falls and I ride in the town of Colrain right down the road. I go to Catamount state forest there are trails all over the place there you can ride all weekend and only cover 50% of whats up there. There is every type of riding you can think of up there as well. If you go that way I suggest taking the trail up to the lake, great place up there. If you need more info just let me know.
    Go big or go home in a wheel chair!
    Info on 2011 racing season

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MM_Freak
    Hey there I live right in Shelburne Falls and I ride in the town of Colrain right down the road. I go to Catamount state forest there are trails all over the place there you can ride all weekend and only cover 50% of whats up there. There is every type of riding you can think of up there as well. If you go that way I suggest taking the trail up to the lake, great place up there. If you need more info just let me know.
    I'm in shelby too. Buckland technically but I'm right on the river in town. I've ridden my snowmobile up catamount and it's pretty nice up there. I've heard that it's mostly jeep roads and not much for singletrack up there, does that sound about right?

"The Freak Show"
    No kidding Im on the Buckland side too and also right next to the river just up the hill from Buckland Pizza. But to answer your question about the jeeps. Yes they do go up there but only south side as far as I know. I havnt been on the north side as of yet this year but maybe on Wednesday I'll head up. I'd do it tomorrow but I've got the RedSox game to get to. Yeah and not a whole lot of single track unless you start off in Heath and ride the ridge from the Blueberry fields and end up in Colrain. I lived in Colrain at the base of Catamount down Adamsville rd. from about 1994-2001 and I know of a lot of Catamount and near by trails not a whole lot of single track in that area. I do more FR/DH now so its not very easy for me to get around Catamount but I try anyway. So if you need any help finding trails in the area I'll be glad to help.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My brother just moved into your neighborhood. I'm down on the river, just down from the Eagles. It's a yellow house and both vehicles have "keep tahoe blue" stickers.

Is there much for DH/FR in the area? I've ridden jiminy peak and mount snow. I plan to check out jeep eater down near northampton pretty soon too. Anything else closer to home?

Did you go to Mohawk? I was in the '97 class.

"The Freak Show"
    Ya I went to Mohawk but I was class of 01. I did just find a good DH trail in Colrain but there is a long hill I walk up just to ride down. There are 2 trees down that are hard to get around but I'll take the wheeler up there at some point and cut em up. Yeah I know about where you are. Most people know my truck...Its covered in mudd most days. Its a Black Dodge ram 1500 with a DH decal on the tailgate and Metal Mulisha on the side of my hood. If your up to it we can hit that DH trail in Colrain at some point.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a hunch Superbman is speaking of a State Forest just East of Savoy and South of Charlemont. Just a hunch though. Find a local old-timer, they are sure to be able to point you in the right direction. If you want really sweet ST that is where you should head.

Mohawk Class of '76 - no longer local though.

H.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm not sure why people seem to be so secretive about Hawley state forest, aka Kenneth Dubuque state forest. Seems to me that the trails would only get better with more traffic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Probably because of the reprimands by the builders for spilling the beans about certain 'unmarked wonders' ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv
    Probably because of the reprimands by the builders for spilling the beans about certain 'unmarked wonders' ...
    it seems pretty unlikely that someone would find the hidden trails without extremely specific directions. you can get lost out there just riding the main trails.