mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Best trails around Wocester / Aburn?

I'm going to be working up in the Wocester area next week and looking to check out some trails. I've ridden Lynn Woods on another trip up that way but thats too far to go back. Loved the trail though.

mtbr member
    For XC riding I'd suggest Rayburn,Singletary or Plummers Landing area.

For AM/XC stuff I'd say hit up Vietnam.

All of these areas within 20 mins of Worcester. I'm running out right now but can give you more info later.

mtbr member
    Although it has been awhile.....Leominster State Forest and Rutland Prison Camps area were good rides back in the day....i moved in 1996 though so not sure of their status now.....also have read on this forum about riding in Oxford at Hodges Dam area....all three are very close to Worcester......check out Bicycle Alley Bike Shop in Main South area of Worcester....huge selection of SantaCruz and Niner....as well as many other brands....Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks Jeff, I'm thinking I'm going to check out Vietnam. If I get out another evening I'll check out your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Leominster State Forest is definitely worth checking out. There's a lot of fire road though, so it makes finding the good trails a little more difficult. Check out open street maps and Strava to see where the trails are vs road. I'd suggest checking it out quickly however since this place is bug heaven. Once the flies come out, you don't want to be stopping for a look at the map.

mtbr member
    Check out my map below.

The closest trails are probably Rayburn and Singletary with Sutton not being too much further. All three are great choices for xc. As for Leominster being "bug heaven" I don't I agree with that. I haven't noticed the bugs any worse there than other parts of New England. In fact, I found them to be worse in CT. Just rub in some waterproof DEET and you will be fine. I found sprays to be convenient but don't last as long as a well rubbed in lotion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Bugs are never an issue as long as you go fast enough

LSF still had a bunch of snow a week and a half ago. Hopefully it is good to ride soon. Great place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterk123 View Post
    Bugs are never an issue as long as you go fast enough
    Tell that to the deer flies in Wompatuck that can draft you at 25!

mtbr member
    Bugs only bother me when Im exhausted, breathing hard and have to push/carry my bike...inevitably I suck down a few.

Woodsguys map is perfect. Youll be happy at Vietnam.

Also Russell Mills would be good for XC. The conditions there are as good as I have ever seen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice maps and logs Woodsguy. Now if I only remembered my Garmin. I'm thinking Nam on Wenesday night and Leominster Thursday. Hope the weather gets better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy View Post
    Nice maps and logs Woodsguy. Now if I only remembered my Garmin. I'm thinking Nam on Wenesday night and Leominster Thursday. Hope the weather gets better!
    Wednesday tomorrow?

There's actually an organized(casual) ride at Vietnam tomorrow. Meeting at Wendy's at 6. You'll see a parking lot behind Wendy's to the right...park there.

The address is:

128 Cedar St,Milford,01757