Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best tire for NE trails?

I'm not sure if this thread has been started before..if so, I'll delete it but what do you guys feel works best on the New England singletrack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If you like riding the harder stuff around here I'd go with something along the lines of 2.4 high roller 2 up front and 2.25 ardent out back. If you stick more to XC riding I would go with a less aggressive front tire such as Ignitor or 2.4 ardent. Also, if you're looking for good deals I would check out Panaracer tires, specifically the "CG" series. I'm running them front and back right now and they're fantastic even in the wet.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Best tire for NE trails?

Not sure what your NE trails are like, but here in the Midwest (Kansas City area), I'm loving the Panaracer Cedric Gracia that someone mentioned. We have a good mix of hardpack, loose over hard and some rocky sections on a lot of our local trails. Not many roots, but enough other variety to keep it interesting. The Cedric has been a very good front tire for me. Not the lightest by any means, but still rolls pretty well and hooks up great. It's definitely a faster roller than the Geax Gato I use on the front of my other bike. I think the Cedric Gracia deserves more run than I've seen for it so far!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I run Ardent 2.4 in front and Ardent 2.25 in back, did on my 26er and now on 29er and very happy.
    See you at the Treasure Valley Rally XC MTB race in Rutland, MA on NEW DATE Saturday May 10, 2014

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm with icycle. Ardent 2.4 front, 2.25 back on a 29er. Great combo for around here. High volume enough that even as a clyde I can ride them with tubes below the listed pressures without flats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you can find them-the conti trail king Black Chili 2.4 are great. Like Hans Dampf and the fatter ardents as well.

mtbr member
    Four front tires that I have recently enjoyed (all 29", in order of decreasing grip, increasing speed):

Schwalbe Hans Dampf
    WTB Bronson
    Maxxis Ignitor
    Maxxis Ikon

I don't think there is a "best", just different tires with different compromises for different riders on different days riding different trails in different conditions.

mtbr member
    Ardent - good traction, but, do not setup with tube-less as well as some others. Sidewalls tend to be a bit thin in the non EXO sizes.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic - good traction (not quite as good as the Ardent IMOP), very strong sidewalls with the snakeskin option, setup VERY good tubless even without sealant.

Ignitor - my favorite rear SS tire in the world. Sets up nice, best traction of either above, and cheaper. I havn't tried it on gears yet.

Just my 5 cents.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member

Best tire for NE trails?

I'm a tire noob myself, is there a good way of finding out what I have for fork clearance? I'm on a rockhopper 29er comp with a dart 3 fork..it has 2.2 fast traks all around..can I make the jump to 2.4?

mtbr member
    +1 vote for the Ardent ... get the EXO version!

The Hans Dampf was great, but the rocks just chewed up that soft rubber in no time.

The Ardent is more resilient.

mtbr member
    probelm with EXO version of the Ardent is that it only comes in larger sizes - 2.35 and up I believe
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Tried some Hutchinson Toro recently which were pretty nice.

I have some CSt ouster tires on my 26 fsr and they are surprisingly good and durable.
    I have a 2.4 front, 2.25 rear. I would buy these for my 29er but they only make the 2.25 in that size, I like a beefier front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Ardent claims to have a 2.25 EXO on their website. At least in a 29er. I've never seen one. I've only had two flats in the last 12 months. Both times I was under pressured.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    The Hans Dampf was great, but the rocks just chewed up that soft rubber in no time.
    Did you have the trailstar compound? Mine uses the pacestar compound, and it's holding up well up front in the rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had good luck with High Rollers, been running those for awhile now.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone run Ardent 2.4 front and rear? Why not have a higher volume tire in the rear as well?

mtbr member

Best tire for NE trails?

Now that I've used the Conti 2.4 Trail King up front, nothing else will do. Sets up tubeless easily and works everywhere for me.
    I'm trying a 2.3 Specialized Purgatory in the back, so far it seems pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    High roller 2, 2.4 up front
    Minion dhr 2, 2.3 in back.
    Used to run a ardent 2.25 in rear but went through three of em this year alone...
    Minion is grippier albeit a bit slower, hooks up on everything.
    Last edited by Scarsandtears; 10-24-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My two favorite tires right now are the WTB Bronson and Weirwolf. Tons of traction and roll pretty fast.

Iv have also ridden Ardents and Kenda Excavators. They were good but didn't wow me.

mtbr member

Best tire for NE trails?

I ended up swinging by a shop near by and grabbing a captain in a 2.0...hopefully trying it out soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice. Let us know what you think.

mtbr member

Best tire for NE trails?

I'd like to say I'm gonna get out there this week but I'm working as much overtime as possible. Fingers crossed though

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ran Ardent 2.4's front and back with good success. On Hans Dampfs on my 650b now and love them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    running Ardent 2.4 F/R Stumpy FSR 26er. Great combo that roll decent, grip well, high volume, and have been durable thus far... about 300-400 miles on them I am guessing

mtbr member
    2.35 Hans Dampf up front and a 2.25 Ardent out back here, liking this setup a bunch. The Schwalbe is an animal.
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast