Who are the brain police?

Best conditions 2 hours from Boston?

Need to get out soon. What area do you think drains the best within say a 2 hour drive from Boston? I would like to get a ride in, but don't really want to rip up muddy trails.

I was thinking the Cape maybe. Anyone have suggestions??
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Need to get out soon. What area do you think drains the best within say a 2 hour drive from Boston? I would like to get a ride in, but don't really want to rip up muddy trails.

I was thinking the Cape maybe. Anyone have suggestions??

I'm with ya. I've been road riding and road riding again. road riding at night and ... . I like my new old cross bike! glad I bought it but road riding is boring is just not as fun and challenging.

I'm from the cape and I tried yesterday but went to the wrong place and encountered too much slush and snow. so I had to ride back and get the cross... . but I think after tonight's rain and then the colder temps Trail of Tears might be ready. mud is never ever a problem. I 'm only concerned with deep slush.light fluffy snow is no problem but deeper heavier stuff is a problem. I'll try tomorrow if I can or late friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    THE snow storm we got was incredible. never seen anything like it and I used to live in the Berkshires. the drifts were 3-5' in places.

mtbr member
    How's Borderland at the moment? Wompy? HP? GBF? Any feedback? I'm gagging to get out, hopefully this Sunday...
    Brick walls are there for a reason...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode tonight in barnstable but not Trail of tears and the trails conditions are unpredictable. some sections are fine then you hit a long unridable section of grandular snow that's 4-10" deep. then some snow was so hard that I could ride on top of 12" of it. then you ride for a while with no signs of any snow.

I'm trying off cape just to do something this weekend. the cape got alot of snow.

mtbr member

If not Trail of Tears...

then where did you ride in Barnstable? Independence Park?
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    then where did you ride in Barnstable? Independence Park?

kinda. I call this my weekday city route when every minute of day light is critical. I start in Hyannis go into yarmouth and go near the airport and eventually am close to independence park then go around Hathaway pond and then go through Hyannis. depending on exact route it's 20-26 miles and probably 7-9 on the road but I could increase the trail mile if I wanted but the trails can be pretty tame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode Otis yesterday and it was 10-20% snow. conditions same as other cape locations. low sections can be snowy with hard icy snow. you can almost ride on top of it. I suspect the conditions, I think, might be the same elsewhere off cape. '

I'd really like to know what's it's like off cape. I suspect Pymouth's Pine Hills area is probably worse because that town got more snow. Foxboro report would be great. it's probably has alot of snow. the snow I've been riding is really tough to ride through. not really possible once you sink in. really hard icy granular mix. would be slush is warmer.

mtbr member

We've got a little more snow

Still about 50% - 75% snow cover up here in Gloucester, and I hear the slush thing. Kinda like riding that deep soft Cape sand. I grew up down there, and that's what it reminds me of. I'll be down there for a party next weekend. If you are going to ride, maybe we can hook up? Erik
    Wrecker of fine things