mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Beginner Riders Around Lexington

Hello,

I'm looking for a beginner to ride with around Lexington and the surrounding areas. I'm just getting back into it after a few years and I'm also getting used to a new bike which is quite different from my old one. So far I have been riding around Landlocked in Burlington and Great Brook in Carlisle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    New here too. Would love to find beginner rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A bit south on 95, you can find your way into Cutler Park on the Needham line. This is probably the best place to ride if you're new to mountain biking in Massachusetts! Not too many hills, easy to navigate, and a lot of fun, smooth terrain.

Defnitely check that place out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I will definitely do. It is few exits away from where I live. Planning to check it out on Friday

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you need some pointers on what route to take, feel free to drop me a PM. I know that place like the back of my hand at this point. Good fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Will PM you with my email!

mtbr member
    You can also access trails just outside your door. Here's a write-up on some of the lesser known Lexington trails.

The Western Greenway is a great option.

Even the trails in Weston are pretty close. You can combine the Greenway and Weston trails if you want a really epic ride.

Last but not least, here are some Strava tracks of rides in the area. I'd hate to see you drive all the way to Newton to ride. With all the trails in the area there's no need to climb into your car.

Whipple/West Farm/ Arlington Great Meadow

Trails Parallel to Route 2 With a Return on Minuteman Bikeway

Greenway to Prospect Hill Park

HEAVEN IS A SINGLE TRACK
    Nov 2012

Grew up there

Sorry to hear you live in the peoples republic of lexington. Grew up there and am riding with a friend from Woburn in LLF tomorrow at 8. What a disaster NAMBLA sorry NEMBA has casused there. Yes its well marked but soo crowded. In 1992 it was just a few of us and the moto cross guys and it was nice and quiet. Anyways enough of my rant. The trails are a great way to get from one side of Lex Vegas to the other if you are up for a little bobing and weaving and some street riding and parking lot drops etc. Start up the hills on the arlington line and head towards wilson farms and peacock farm road aread either bomb the golf course in belmont and head through lawrence lane and bomb through a back yard or hit the rt 2 right of way (may have to hop fence on way out). Down Phillip road and up rockville to the moonbat hill and into the meadows Or alternately come out at wilsons and into the meadows across from the Dorf (waldorf school). Or at rockland intersection back of bowman scholl trail to Clarke and old Franklin(now section 8 white trash minority hiding spot) schools from there across to grassland st trail area and from there to shade st area cambridge res or powelines to waltham and eventuall back to LLF or into concord bedford. Or cut the res and over lincoln field down behind wood st to Kaahding wood. Start by getting the lex trail map online and linking them make sure you bomb sidewalks and piss those liberal *******s off. They will tell you that trails are not for you call the cops and tell you that you are ruining nature as you ride out of the woods to thier 6,0000 sq ft McMansions with Audi's parked in the yard. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    noreasterbackcountry: Can you give a report on the Western Greenway? From the title of your GPS track it doesn't sound good.

I see you also tried connect into the supposed trails at the back of the retreat/religious complex on Lexington street. I couldn't find anything either. Maybe next spring when the leaves are gone it will be obvious.

T

mtbr member
    As of a week ago almost all of the blowdowns were cleared. There was one troublesome spot on a side trail in the Belmont Conservation Lands where four or five trees all fell together across the trail, but it is easily avoided. There are also a couple trees down near the Waltham High School, but are also easily negotiated.

Yeah, I looked all over for trail access behind the retreat center. I think if you approach from the north there's an obvious entry that might make it easier to follow the trail to its entry on the retreat side.